PDA

View Full Version : California Duster

Pages : [1] 2

blesmess94
01-26-2005, 01:24 PM
I just go a black 03 Corvette. Living on long island and with over a foot of snow its sadly in the garage and probably will remain there for some time. i noticed last night that there is quite a layer of dust on the car already (put in spotless on saturday - today is only wednesday). I bought a California Duster and was wondering what other people thought about it and its performance.

cgc2
01-26-2005, 01:33 PM
I have owned 2 Calif. Dusters...One was with the plastic handle, the other with a wooden handle.

I did not like/not impressed with how the plastic handled version worked, mainly because it streaked alot or did not pick up the dust. After discussing with a detailing products manufacture(One Grand), they suggested I try the wooden version as it is made for heavy use. I like this one, especially if I follow up with Adams DS afterwards.

Bill D
01-26-2005, 01:55 PM
I`ve owned nothing but plastic handled ones and haven`t had that issue :nixweiss I did let them sit out on newspaper and did rotate their postion on the newspaper for double the amount of time recommended before use.

togwt
01-26-2005, 02:18 PM
Car Duster:

The best known brand (California Car Duster) it can be used to remove pollen or light dust without causing scratches by applying very little surface pressure with the duster, dusting with long strokes in one direction only. Shake the duster occasionally to ensure any particles picked up will drop out rather than come to the surface while your using it.

It important to use the duster only for the removal of dry surface dust, if the vehicle has oily road film, road tar, damp pollen or dust, etc the vehicle surface should be washed

When the duster is first purchased it should be wrapped in newspaper to remove any excess paraffin wax, the duster should not be washed, the dirtier it gets the better it works (I`ve been using mine now for almost five years without it being washed)

Bill D
01-26-2005, 02:20 PM
I have some that are that old+ too. Just remember, sweep lightly with it, it`s not a mop. Take you time and go slowly, sweeping one pass in one direction at a time

EBPcivicsi
01-26-2005, 02:31 PM
I have one of the originals from the 80`s (original to me;)) that I got as a gift when I was a kid. I still have it and though today the handle is broken and the strands are pitch black, it works great.

I do not use it on my own car as it will mar my paint, even with the lightest coating of dust. But I do use it on my S/O`s vehicle without marring. I do use it VERY lightly, just "tickling" the paint with it. Anything longer than a 10 mile drive is too much for the CCD IMO.

blesmess94
01-26-2005, 02:44 PM
Thanks for all of the input. i really appriciate it.

Asonyexec
01-26-2005, 03:07 PM
I have used them often. The trick to a streak free finish (as others have said) is laying the duster on some newspapers at least over night. It gets rid of the excess on the fibers.

Bill D
01-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Yes, at least overnight, most recently,I did mine for a few days

dschribs
01-26-2005, 04:55 PM
I use mine at shows. Works great. I think one the best tools out there to keep your car looking nice when the dust gets to it. But like everyone has said, it has it`s limitations. If you can`t baiscally lightly, and I mean lightly, use the CA Duster to remove what`s on the paint, it`s probably time for a QD. Funny thing is, the longer you have it (and use it) the better it works!

TDMAN
01-27-2005, 10:40 AM
I`ve had similar experiences. I think it works great AT REMOVING DUST. It`s not meant to remove anything heavier. There "the more u use it, the better it gets" it true, if a bit puzzling. Nice to have in the collection.

TheShinyMama
01-27-2005, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Asonyexec

I have used them often. The trick to a streak free finish (as others have said) is laying the duster on some newspapers at least over night. It gets rid of the excess on the fibers.

Will try that out, but why newspaper?:confused:

togwt
01-27-2005, 12:06 PM
Will try that out, but why newspaper?

Any material that is absorbent will work, most of us say newspaper out of habit, kitchen towels will work fine (especially Bounty `the quicker picker upper` LOL)

Mr Monk
01-27-2005, 02:29 PM
I use the plastic handle CCD and at times I`v encountered the streaking problem mentioned, but generally feel that it`s a great tool in our arsenal of detailing weapons !

Has anyone tried the new OXO duster? As good, better or worse than the Cali duster?

Bill D
01-27-2005, 03:09 PM
I thought I saw, also, that there`s going to be DF Towel Duster too. I don`t see any notice about that any more though :( I was kinda excited about that idea.