PDA

View Full Version : 68 black charger>what to use?

derek37
01-26-2005, 12:04 PM
Possibly got a chance to do this car. Haven`t seen it yet so i`m not sure if it is SS or not. BUT if it is and thinking that it hasn`t been properly taken care of, what would be a good combo to use? Polishes and pads? I`m thinking the Megs 80 series but I also have SSR`s avaliable and a few other things. From what I`ve read and experienced, i know you can`t go wrong with either megs or poorboys. Their topnotch. I`m just wondering what you folks have used on SS black or dark colors.

AND would you use a rotary instead of a PC on a neglected SS paint? I`m thinking it might be too aggressive:nixweiss

Thanks for your input.:p

audipower
01-26-2005, 01:14 PM
Never did a Charger but Chevelles, Camaros, Mustangs, and Corvettes of this year. I got the thing for black.

It really depends on how bad it is and when it was last painted. That`s how I critique on what I`m going to use. Most of the time I don`t have to use an aggresive polish. In the polishes I normally use Sonus SFX-3 and AIO. It does a great job restoring shine, but if you have problems getting out swirls, marring, and oxidation I suggest SFX-2. I like Poorboys and Merzerna they both are great. I just get better results with Sonus SFX.

Klasse SG is the best with black. If you want to impress him leave the SG on for 24 hrs before removing it. Do this twice or just once depending on how much they want to spend.

P21S or Pinnacle Paste wax. There both great on black. I normally use P21S because I think it`s better on lighter and mettalic colors.

I use a PC. I use to use a rotary but didn`t get the performance out of it, but I know there`s nice ones out there like the cyclone.

Good Luck! Post some pics!

Accumulator
01-26-2005, 01:31 PM
As Audipower said, it all depends on the paint. I sorta doubt that the Charger (the hot ones are "R/T", not "SS" ;) ) still has the original paint but whatever`s on there now could be either SS or B/C, you`ll just have to see.

If it *is* the original paint I`d treat it like a something more fragile than eggs! In that case, I dunno if I`d even try to remove any marring since that would mean removing paint and it`s only original once. But again, it`s unlikely that it`s original.

If it`s a repaint, I wouldn`t worry too much about ss or b/c; I`d just use a middle-of-the-road product like Meg`s #80 on it. I`d use a PC rather than work by hand, but there`s not a *huge* difference between the two if you use common sense. Just watch any "high points" where the paint might be thin.

Oh, and don`t take this the wrong way, but with a rotary, "if you have to ask, the answer is- don`t use it".

First thing is to find out more about the car.

imported_fireberd350
01-26-2005, 07:30 PM
Pretty sure he means SS as Single stage and makes no comment on the actual car being a Charger SS. I can see where you may have been mistaken though.

Good luck with the Mopar, they are bad azz cars:up

audipower
01-26-2005, 09:42 PM
Oh, I got good news today for you Mopar guys. I get to do a Daytona! I think a `69, is that the year? I know it`s black with orange racing stipes with a big old spoiler. The 3rd one made! It`s going to a big Chrysler/Mopar show coming up in months in Detroit. Oh I can`t wait. It just got done being restored. My friend restored the engine. The engine is original. The parts where restored or they bought original mopar parts. I haven`t seen it but I will definitely put some pics up. I seen a couple of Mopar guys on here so I thought I would post this.

Accumulator
01-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by fireberd350

Pretty sure he means SS as Single stage and makes no comment on the actual car being a Charger SS. I can see where you may have been mistaken though.

LangMan37- OMG, sheesh...yeah... :o Please don`t take offense, I didn`t mean to question your knowledge of MOPARs (and I belatedly noticed the E-body in your avatar so I bet you know this stuff!). Man do I feel dumb.... I was just on a different wavelength and made a careless assumption.

What are you planning to use on the rear panel around the tail-lights? It`s been a little while, but IIRC it`s satin black and textured.

audipower- Cool, that really takes me back. My family and their friends had MOPARs back in the day and they`re still my favorite cars from the muscle-car era. I had the Plymouth version of the Daytona (`70 SuperBird) in the early `80s. Wow, the #3 Daytona would really be something to work on. Remember to pop the headlights up to detail their buckets, and keep product from getting built up in/around the wing adjustment bolt`s head, ditto for the plates for the hoodpins and their mounting screws. Those spots can eat up a lot of time and effort ;) While the tail-lights are different from the one`s on the `68 that LangMan37`s doing, I think the panel is still finished the same. Wouldn`t want to have scrub product out of that textured stuff...or am I misremembering this entirely? For all the time I spent waxing my mom`s `69 Charger as a kid you`d think I`d remember :o

audipower
01-27-2005, 01:32 PM
Thanks again Accumulator! Not joking. I will definitely take you advice. I`ll put them in my notes. I was looking at pictures of it and it looked not so hard to do, but then you think of all the little things. Any other suggestions are welcome!

derek37
01-27-2005, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

LangMan37- OMG, sheesh...yeah... :o Please don`t take offense, I didn`t mean to question your knowledge of MOPARs (and I belatedly noticed the E-body in your avatar so I bet you know this stuff!). Man do I feel dumb.... I was just on a different wavelength and made a careless assumption.

What are you planning to use on the rear panel around the tail-lights? It`s been a little while, but IIRC it`s satin black and textured.

audipower- Cool, that really takes me back. My family and their friends had MOPARs back in the day and they`re still my favorite cars from the muscle-car era. I had the Plymouth version of the Daytona (`70 SuperBird) in the early `80s. Wow, the #3 Daytona would really be something to work on. Remember to pop the headlights up to detail their buckets, and keep product from getting built up in/around the wing adjustment bolt`s head, ditto for the plates for the hoodpins and their mounting screws. Those spots can eat up a lot of time and effort ;) While the tail-lights are different from the one`s on the `68 that LangMan37`s doing, I think the panel is still finished the same. Wouldn`t want to have scrub product out of that textured stuff...or am I misremembering this entirely? For all the time I spent waxing my mom`s `69 Charger as a kid you`d think I`d remember :o

Hey no problem Anthony. Yeah I do know my way around the mopars. Been a mopar freak my whole life. Owned 3 challengers, one 72; two 73`s, one 71 barracuda; one 72, a 70 charger, a71 roadrunner and now the proud owner of a unrestored 68 satellite. The car in question is owned by the father of one of the members of my business group. The guy doesn`t know much about the car he just said his dad was looking for someone to "clean it up". Hopefully I`ll be able to see it real soon and get some more info.

Here`s a pic of my satellite with SSR1 w/pc at4-5x2 and 2 coats of nattys

Accumulator
01-28-2005, 12:16 PM
LangMan37- Thanks for not taking offense at my faux pas :o

Yeah, you`ve sure had some nice ones, and I really like that `68, especially as it`s unrestored :xyxthumbs

audipower
01-28-2005, 01:55 PM
Sorry about my language but:eek:DAMN!!:eek:

Damn that`s a nice car. I like that color. I do alot of cars guys use the same color. Say purple but make it metallic or just more vibrant. I like the original colors. You got me pumped to do that Daytona.

derek37
01-28-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by audipower

Sorry about my language but:eek:DAMN!!:eek:

Damn that`s a nice car. I like that color. I do alot of cars guys use the same color. Say purple but make it metallic or just more vibrant. I like the original colors. You got me pumped to do that Daytona.

Thanks Audi:xyxthumbs My first thought when i seen the car was"Damn that`s an ugly color. I`ll just repaint it. That was before I found out it was unrestored and the original paint. I like it now,you don`t see many cars with this color.

I`m totally looking forward to seeing the Daytona. Your`re a lucky man

Scottwax
01-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Honestly, I`d have to drive the car around a few weeks to be sure what you need to do.

I regularly detail a `69 Dodge Dart that is repainted (copper with orange/silver metallic) but it is base/clear coat. Usually #80 cleans it up nice and then 1Z MP and Glanz Wax work well. On black, #80 and EX w/carnauba for a two step, #80, Polish w/carnauba and EX w/carnauba for a three step-assuming #80 is enough to remove any defects. Either will work fine on a single stage paint job, although I`d go with #16 or Nattys as my LSP.

derek37
01-28-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Honestly, I`d have to drive the car around a few weeks to be sure what you need to do.

Too funny Scott:lol That`s exactely what I`m going to tell him.:rofl