PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Advice and Opinions

BrianJ
01-25-2005, 05:39 PM
OK, here goes... I`ve got a White 02 WRX. I`m in college. Thus, having no money, I only have a miniscule budget to sink into detailing my car. I claybar about 2x a year, and wax with NXT every few weeks.

I know everyone here loves the PC for buffing/polishing, but I obviously can`t afford one, even from Ebay. Harbor Freight sells a 7speed buffer for $25, with a max speed of 3000RPM. This is a lot lower than the PC, but will it do? Should I get this one, go to the local HomeDepot and pick up a similarly priced singlespeed Ryobi, or not bother at all?

Also, I`ve got nasty microscratches in my glass. They`re too small to notice except when the sun shines into them, then they look a lot like paint swirls. Any way to get these out?

Accumulator
01-25-2005, 06:11 PM
BrianJ- Welcome to Autopia! Having owned a WRX, in your situation I wouldn`t bother buying a polisher, I`d just do it by hand when needed. Subie clear isn`t all *that* hard to work but it is hard enough that if you take good care of it you won`t have to polish too often. I only had to do mine maybe once a year.

Don`t know about the glass, I`ve never be able to fix marring on that. Glass is very hard.

BrianJ
01-25-2005, 06:19 PM
Yeah, everything I`ve read on here about windshields is telling me that, but it still bugs the heck out of me. It`s horrible when the car`s clean, and I`m driving around and the sun lights up these big swirls in the windshield. I was hoping a little glass polish and a buffer would help...

Anyone else have suggestions?

svntwosix
01-25-2005, 06:42 PM
Hi BrianJ - welcome to auopia! I haven`t had microscratches, but I had some hard water stains on my windshield a while back (looked like the car had been washed but never dried- I could see outlines of water drops all over). I bought some Zaino glass polish and with a bit of elbow grease the marks came out. I guess it depends on how deep the scratches are- any idea what caused them?

If zaino is too expensive or a pain to order (mail order only) you might be able to do a search for glass polish and see what else comes up.

Have you tried claying the glass? If it is not a scratch but some gunk stuck on, the clay might help... just a thought.

Good luck!

BrianJ
01-25-2005, 08:00 PM
I think they were caused by me using too much pressure when trying to get water spots off... etched in I guess.

imported_Bence
01-25-2005, 11:32 PM
Welcome Brian!

A Subie is a terrific ride. A thorough hand job will be sufficient for you - you are just starting your autopian journey.

DON`T mix up RPMs vs. OPMs!!! A PC oscillates, a rotary just turns. There is far greater energy (cutting power & heat) in the rotary. Don`t risk burning your paint with that variable speed buffer. There are numerous PC-like tools; just do a search on eBay, looking for a random orbit sander.

More later... Good luck!

togwt
01-26-2005, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by BrianJ

I think they were caused by me using too much pressure when trying to get water spots off... etched in I guess.

Using pressure will not cause water to etch a glass surface (it`s a chemical process not pressure related)

Alkaline watermarks (water spots) are calcium and magnesium salts that deposit on the surface after the water has evaporated, the minute crystals bond to the surface and are not re-dissolvable in water. These fall into one of two categories a) surface or b) below surface (etched) water spots.

Removing etched (below surface) water spots from glass--- are caused by acid rain or industrial fallout causing a chemical reaction, if left for any length of time they will etch the paint film surface leaving a concave circular mark.

These can usually be removed using detailer`s clay to remove any hardened surface deposits and then using Autoglym Car Glass PolishTM with #0000 synthetic steel wool or Iz Einzette Glas Polish, a random orbital buffer (speed # 4) and a cutting foam pad (LC orange or yellow) to level the surface.

Notes:

1.Do not use abrasive cleaner; glass polish or any grade synthetic steel wool on after market-tinted glass or you will probably scratch the surface.

2.For deeply etched water spots` in the glass surface, do not attempt to polish them out, consult an automotive glass vendor as glass used on later model cars is soft and thin (this may vary by manufacturer) due to weight / cost savings by vehicle manufactures and polishing could cause glass to crack.

3.Be cautious with polishes that contain abrasives like aluminium or cerium oxide as they have the potential to damage glass beyond repair.

4.Some windshields and mirrors have a tinted plastic coating or a blue tint that will scratch or be damaged, only polish or use synthetic wool on uncoated glass.