PDA

View Full Version : yet another newbie.

seracis
01-25-2005, 01:49 PM
A friend referred me to this site a while back and from what I`ve read, it`s a very informative and interesting site. I`m still trying to learn what all the abbreviations mean as well as which products (waxes, polishes, cleaners, etc.) I need to invest in. I`ve always tried to keep my vehicles clean, but this site gives clean a whole new meaning. I`m not all that concerned with my own vehicle (`01 Dodge Ram, white) but I would like to keep my wife`s `04 Odyssey looking as good as possible for as long as possible. I`ve been using Wizard`s Polish for a couple years now, but I thought I would explore other options.

The first thing I would like to get my hands on is a PC (I hope that means Porter Cable). What`s the popular model? I`ve read that some here like Makita and other brands, but I`ve been burned by Makita and DeWalt cordless drills, but my current drill is a PC and I`ve never been happier. So I thought I`d go with a PC buffer/polisher. Thanks for sharing so much info. Maybe someday I`ll be able to contribute some of my own.

BTW, since I consider myself an above-average window tinter and 12 volt tech (alarm installer), I would be happy to help with any questions in those fields.

imported_dpeezy415
01-25-2005, 01:58 PM
Newbie Here too but here`s what I`ve read.

PC is a dual action polisher, Makita and DeWalt are rotary polishers which take experience and training to use (can burn/damage paint very easily)

PC 7336 available from Lowe`s (got mine last week)

PC 7424 is also around on the internet in a kit with pads.

Get some pads (preferably more than one of each for different products)

ExcelDetail has some for a bargain

Edge 2000 are some of the newer ones that are DUAL sided

Lake Country Makes popular ones

I bought Sonus pads

Hope this helps...

DSVWGLI
01-25-2005, 02:55 PM
Welcome to autopia to both of you:wavey . Yes a PC is a dual action polisher/sander made by Porter Cable. dpeezy415 has some good advise. I would continue to read everything in the learn section and help before you decide on any purchases. After you`ve done your reading you will still have many questions which will be gladly answered.

Glossequation
01-25-2005, 02:57 PM
Coastal Tool - great place for 7424 (http://www.coastaltool.com)

Got mine in 3 days and only $8 shipping.

seracis
01-29-2005, 09:49 PM
I got mine on the way. Should be here Thursday. At least the weather is crappy here and I`m not able to do much.

JeffM
01-29-2005, 10:08 PM
Whatever you do, dont buy a turtle wax compound or polish thinking you will "learn" with these nice and safe products.

The compound will destroy your finish, and will need a professional to repair it.

seracis
01-29-2005, 10:11 PM
there will be no more Turtle wax or Rain Dance or Formula 2001 or anything else I can buy around here. My first bunch of stuff consists of Sonus and #16.

JeffM
01-29-2005, 10:17 PM
Sounds good, make sure to clay :)

seracis
01-29-2005, 10:34 PM
That`s the ONE thing I could (and already did) get here. It`s just waiting for me out in the garage. Gotta wait for a little warmer weather and all the snow (and resulting slush and dirty water) to go away. Hopefully all my stuff will get here about the time that all this crap weather is gone.