PDA

View Full Version : NXT paste wax vs #16 Paste wax

Pages : [1] 2 3

ptim
01-24-2005, 07:57 AM
How does the new NXT paste wax compare to #16 paste wax? Meguiars is stating that NXT will replace #16, I would like to hear some opinions or facts from some true users.

Alfisti
01-24-2005, 08:30 AM
NXT paste wax is just arriving at stores in the US. Very few have bought it yet...too early.

As far as I know no ones reviewed it...but we`re waiting. :)

EBPcivicsi
01-24-2005, 08:55 AM
I happened to have used both over the weekend.

My initial thoughts on the NXT paste are that it is hard to get a thin layer and has a bit of drag when applying. As a result of my difficulty in applying a thin layer I got quite a bit of dusting upon removal. I am going to continue to work with it to see if it was user error or the product. I applied it to paint that was prepped with 3M PI-III MG in a non-heated garage, the temp was about 38 degrees yesterday, the garage was about 48-50 degrees. I applied one layer to the paint and allowed it to set up for about 25 minutes. Removal was easy except for the areas that were too thick, a few more swipes with a MF took care of that. At this point, I very much prefer the liquid.

The #16, as always applies very easily and getting a thin layer is something that I can do very easily with this product. I apply it to half of the vehicle, then remove with MF. The "glide" of #16 during application is what sets it a part from the NXT IMO. While the NXT paste has a bit of "drag" the #16 just glides along the paint effortlessly.

Again, I will still play around with the NXT and see what happens.

Aurora
01-24-2005, 09:25 AM
Thanks epb. I was very much interested in trying the paste wax. Maybe as a topper to liquid NXT?

JeffM
01-24-2005, 05:51 PM
So you would do 2x coats of liquid NXT and 1 or 2x coats of the paste lol :)

gearhead
01-24-2005, 05:59 PM
Still don`t know how NXT will replace #16 as NXT has cleaners (however mild) so it can`t be layered. Are the cleaners mild enough that it doesn`t take the previous layer off?

I agree that #16 just glides on/off very easily.:up

Alfisti
01-24-2005, 06:40 PM
Are the cleaners mild enough that it doesn`t take the previous layer off?

According to Mike Phillips, that`s true of all Megs waxes but especially for NXT. It has the least cleaners of all their non-pure waxes.

"Hi Alfisti,

Gold Class is what Meguiar`s terms a polish/wax because it contains rich polishing oils along with both Carnauba wax and Synthetic polymers for protection, gloss and shine.

The amount of cleaners and cleaning action this wax provides is so sleight, it`s not recommended for use on any neglected surfaces, only on finishes in new or like new condition. If there is any above surface contaminants or below surface defects, these need to be addressed in the claying and paint cleaning process.

As far as question 3 goes, the cleaners are not really strong enough to strip or remove completely any previously applied product. Generally speaking, a second coat of Gold Class over itself, or another product will provide an more uniform appearance and provide for more uniform coverage over the entire surface.

Even a second coat of Meguiar`s Cleaner/wax, or ColorX will leave behind more protection on the surface than it will remove.

Mike"

imported_The Uncle
01-24-2005, 07:00 PM
For me, the concern woudl not be that NXT would strip ALL the protection from previous layers, because I would doubt the cleaners would be that aggressive. However, if it has ANY cleaners it will probably degrade the past layers somewhat. That alone is enough of a reason to to give NXT a pass.

MattZ28
01-24-2005, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by The Uncle

For me, the concern woudl not be that NXT would strip ALL the protection from previous layers, because I would doubt the cleaners would be that aggressive. However, if it has ANY cleaners it will probably degrade the past layers somewhat. That alone is enough of a reason to to give NXT a pass.

There`s no proof that paste waxes layer in the first place due to solvent content, so who cares if it has mild cleaners or not?

Setec Astronomy
01-24-2005, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by MattZ28

There`s no proof that paste waxes layer in the first place due to solvent content, so who cares if it has mild cleaners or not?

I`m glad you brought this up.

imported_The Uncle
01-24-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by MattZ28

If the solvents in products like S100, #16, etc have no real cleaning ability, why wouldn`t they layer? I guess we don`t know what is happening at a chemical level, but many posters here (including myself) have had positive expereinces with S100 over SG and AIO.

However, at the end of the day, that is still one heck of a good question.

There was acctually a thread here at one point where somebody tested the cleaning power of a traditional "wax" and NXT. The NXT dissolved what was under it, but the traditional wax did not.

Corey Bit Spank
01-24-2005, 09:31 PM
In my experience one coat of #16 is just as durable as two coats of #16.

Also, in my experience, #16 with anything under it is just as durable as #16 with nothing under it.

This goes for just about anything out there that I have tried.

Getting back to NXT: One coat of NXT isn`t durable, two applications of NXT isn`t any more durable. This isn`t a consequence of its cleaning ability, it`s just because this one product is trying to do too damn much in one bottle. Clean, fill, and protect.

probegt
01-24-2005, 10:44 PM
The cleaners in Nxt wont strip the previous layers and yes it can be layered. Just because it has just a hint of cleaner in it doesnt me it is gonna strip anything. They probably break down before you will ever notice.

Mike_Phillips
01-24-2005, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by The Beef

The cleaners in NXT wont strip the previous layers and yes it can be layered. Just because it has just a hint of cleaner in it doesn`t me it is gonna strip anything. They probably break down before you will ever notice.

NXT Tech Wax contains only a very sleight amount of specialized cleaners, it`s not really as some would position it as a true cleaner/wax like a ColorX or AIO type products. I`ve seen some people try to position it as though it`s a rubbing compound.

:D :D :D

Mike

Mike_Phillips
01-24-2005, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by ptim

How does the new NXT paste wax compare to #16 paste wax? Meguiar`s is stating that NXT will replace #16, I would like to hear some opinions or facts from some true users.

Just to clarify,

NXT Tech Wax isn`t meant to be an exact replacement for #16 Professional Paste Wax. When we state it will replace #16 what we mean is if you`re looking for a paste style wax, NXT Tech Wax, like #16 PPP, is a paste style wax, that`s the correct understanding, not that this new product is a similar product formula-wise.

Hope this helps...

Mike