PDA

View Full Version : Newbee here - Wanting to polish my 4Runner - What to buy?

jataga
01-23-2005, 10:30 PM
Ok, so I have been looking on this forum for a few hours now trying to get some information on what type of polisher, compound, directions, tips, etc on restoring the shine back to my 4Runner. So much to look through!

I have a 99 Black 4Runner that I used off road a lot so it does have some surface scratches on it. Here are my questions:

1. I have used a high speed polisher before (beginner use) but it was borrowed and I donâ€â„¢t have access to it anymore. What do you guys think of the MAKITA 9227CX3 and or its DeWalt equivalent? Iâ€â„¢ve seen a lot of info on the Porter Cablesâ€Â¦are those good for what I need?

2. I`m sure I have wax build up on my 4Runner b/c I wax it once or twice every couple of months. Is there a quick way to remove the wax before I start polishing?

3. What is the best polish to use to remove scratches and the "spider web" lines?

4. I have been using McGuireâ€â„¢s wax for years. Is this a good wax? What wax do yall recommend using?

Once I can figure out what I need to buy, my next question will be [B] Any tips for removing scratches with a high speed buffer? Is there a certain speed setting to use or just set it mid range?

Yes, you can tell I`m new to all of this b/c of all my questions so thank you in advance for helping me out!

-John

03COBRA
01-23-2005, 11:06 PM
Welcome John. I answered you question between your questions!

Originally posted by jataga

Ok, so I have been looking on this forum for a few hours now trying to get some information on what type of polisher, compound, directions, tips, etc on restoring the shine back to my 4Runner. So much to look through!

I have a 99 Black 4Runner that I used off road a lot so it does have some surface scratches on it. Here are my questions:

1. I have used a high speed polisher before (beginner use) but it was borrowed and I donâ€â„¢t have access to it anymore. [B]What do you guys think of the MAKITA 9227CX3 and or its DeWalt equivalent? Iâ€â„¢ve seen a lot of info on the Porter Cablesâ€Â¦are those good for what I need?

For a beginner, I would start with the porter cable! There is less possibility for error. A porter Cable would be very good for what you need.

2. I`m sure I have wax build up on my 4Runner b/c I wax it once or twice every couple of months. Is there a quick way to remove the wax before I start polishing?

A quick way to remove the wax would be to polish it with a paint polish! Polishing will remove the wax anyway, so no need to remove it before polishing!

3. What is the best polish to use to remove scratches and the "spider web" lines?

In your case, being you have a black vehicle. I would start with Meguiar`s #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish. This will remove many of the defects you are describing. If you use the #83 properly, you will usually get some hazing of the paint due to the cutting action. Then I would follow it up with Meguiar`s #80 Speed Glaze. The #80 will remove the hazing and leave a very nice deep, wet finish that you can go straight to your LSP with.

4. I have been using McGuireâ€â„¢s wax for years. Is this a good wax? What wax do yall recommend using?

Meguiar`s makes some very nice products. For black you want to look into the Poorboy`s line, 4* line, Wolfgang, and many others as well! I would recommend the Poorboy`s EX w/Carnauba as a sealant, then top with a nice Carnauba wax. Meguiar`s #16 is a very nice product if you want to stick with the Meguiar`s line!

Once I can figure out what I need to buy, my next question will be Any tips for removing scratches with a high speed buffer? Is there a certain speed setting to use or just set it mid range?

With the Porter Cable, you may want to invest in some cutting pads. These cutting pads have a little bit more cutting action that a polishing pad. This roughness in the pad will help remove the defects you may have!

Yes, you can tell I`m new to all of this b/c of all my questions so thank you in advance for helping me out!

-John

No problem newbie! Check out this link to a black escape I did on friday!

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49693&perpage=12&pagenumber=1

tripper_11
01-24-2005, 12:50 AM
Agree with the previous post.

I recommend my favorite Megs twin: (83-80 polisher)

#83 DACP with Megs polishing pad (or cutting pad)

#80 Speed Glaze with Megs polishing pad (or finishing pad)

The Makita 9227xxx line is one standard machine. It has variable speed with 800 rpm minimum trigger lock. That`s good for the finishing stage.

Some machines only have 1000-1500 rpm minimum trigger lock. You don`t need this on a finishing stage, it`s too much. Thus, you end up using another machine such as orbital/dual action for mild action.

With the 9227, you can do mild action for the finishing stage as you would with the orbital/dual action. Thus, you have a hybrid multi-purpose machine.

But at any rate, always rember that the 9227 line is still a rotary in all its respect or that it operates via direct drive rotor. (Aggressive) So be careful.

Good luck!

imported_Burlyq
01-24-2005, 03:55 AM
I use the Makita because it is built to last like Dewalt but it`s lighter and comes with two handles that are better than Dewalts.

AIO will get rid of wax buildup.

If you are buying a rotary I highly suggest you try Menzerna twins. Rotary`s and Menzerna go together like peas and carrots. If the swirls are bad they have Powergloss, but most will come out with IP then FPII.

I`d use a high quality sealant as opposed to a wax but that`s just me. Wax collects grim in the hot weather and doesn`t last as long as your top sealants, like Zaino or klasse.

RCBuddha
01-25-2005, 02:14 AM
Hi John,

Welcome! :wavey

I also own a 99 Runner, as seen here:

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47639

I`d also recommend getting a Porter Cable, mostly b/c its very easy to use. It takes more time/passes to get fix defects, but is supposed to be much safer than a rotary.

I`d get the PC from Lowes and the pads/backing plate from www.exceldetail.com (look for their pads/backing plate combo) I`d also get some Microfiber towels (excel has a nice selection and prices) as well, get quite a few for removing the polish/waxes and a good waffle weave for drying.

I`ve used several products mentioned here on Autopia, but here are the onesI have had success on my 4Runner:

Poorboys:

Spray and Wipe

Nattys Paste Wax

EX w/ Carnuba Sealant

Super Swirl Remover 2.5

Meguiars:

#83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish

#80 Speed Glaze

NXT Tech Wash

Clearkote:

Vanilla Moose

Four Star:

Ultimate Paint Protection

Menzerna:

Intesive Polish

Final Polish II

For tires:

i`d recommend Eagle One Wet tire (for a glossy wet look) or Duponts Teflon Tire Shine (for a matte look).

For cobweb swirl/scratch removal:

I really like SSR2.5 and IP for removing swirls, both seem to leave a nicer finish than #83. #80 is very nice, and makes for a wet finish when worked properly. You can follow SSR or IP with VM or FPII, and you should have a nice deep, wet finish!

For Waxes/Sealants:

I like using EX followed by Nattys, or just UPP alone. just apply thinly, and buff off. All three look very nice!

Good luck and don`t forget to post some pics!

jataga
01-25-2005, 07:26 PM
hey guys, thanks for all the information! I will certainly take some before and after pictures and post them here. It will not be until a few weeks b/c the polisher, pads, and wax is what i`m asking for my b-day.

I`m sure there I will have more qestions but I`m glad I found a place to find the answers!

Thanks again for all the advice - I had no idea there was so much to look at when getting set up!

-John