PDA

View Full Version : Bugs and Tars

TheCompleteLook
04-25-2003, 03:21 AM
Ok boys, here`s your directive - gimme the best bug and tar remover. I just cleaned a car today that took a "road trip" and I wanted to kill myself, there were thousands of splatters all over the front, on the mirrors and even along the sides. I basically scrubbed the wax right off the car cleaning it. HELP!!! :confused:

CharlesW
04-25-2003, 06:41 AM
It seems that I recall an uncle of mine using kerosene to basically wash his car after getting on a newly tarred stretch of road. The car actually looked like it had black gunk sprayed on the lower part of the car. He just pretty well soaked a section with kerosene, then washed it with soapy water, then rewaxed the car. The soap might very well have been Joy dishwashing liquid.
He seemed to feel that tar removers were mostly kerosene, so why not use the kerosene in the first place.
Any thoughts?

Frshtrax
04-25-2003, 11:36 AM
I have also found that kerosene works best for bugs and tar. The only problem is transporting or keeping ita around the rest of your stuff. Not to mentioan that the average solvent spray bottle doesn`t stand up to kerosene to well.

Anybody try the citrius cleaners like "orange clean"?

Koop
04-25-2003, 09:00 PM
I`ve used megs citrigel cleaner. It works ok. I use a hard core wax remover made by RM. It`s used for prep work for paint but works great here too.

Poorboy
04-27-2003, 03:35 PM
That depends whether the bugs and tar are fresh or have been baking in....if your finish is well maintained and fresh a good QD will remove them with a little soaking and a mf cloth...if they are baked in then a very light polish will remove them, might want to use an all in one cleaner wax to replace what you`re taking off too.

ashsarna
04-29-2003, 03:14 PM
I have had success with 3m bug and tar remover. It will remove your wax though in the process. I maintain my car to the point I carry some QD and mf in the trunk. If I see any at the end of each day or whatever, I simply qd it.

Poorboy
04-29-2003, 03:27 PM
Ash I keep an 8oz bottle of Spray and Wipe in my door pocket...trucks too far away;)

Beemerboy
04-29-2003, 04:22 PM
I use the 3M bug remover and it does a great job but as stated will take all wax off.
I have also on non baked on bugs and tar used a degreaser from Costco for 5 bucks a gallon, its the same that I use for the wheels and the motor should I be doing it.

ashsarna
04-29-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Poorboy
Ash I keep an 8oz bottle of Spray and Wipe in my door pocket...trucks too far away;)

Steve, my wife would BEAT me if I did that;) LOL!!

Koop
04-29-2003, 05:30 PM
lol ALL my work stuff stays in my daily driver! lol Thank God i`m not married yet.

Poorboy
05-01-2003, 12:21 PM
Ash do you mean she`d beat you to the bottle..:lol::rolleyes:

ashsarna
05-01-2003, 03:09 PM
Probably:rolleyes:!!

LOL!! I went and got some small spray bottles at WM and filled them with my QD and one with s&w. Then I put them in the glove compartment WITHOUT letting my wife in on it. We will see how far I get;).

mrnunya
05-09-2003, 02:28 PM
i just started detailing this year with the weather n all here in philly ive been doin it 3 months on a dailly basis 7 days a week
i started with 3 m bug n tar and 3 m compund liquid one day i grabbed the compound and threw the bug stuff away one bottle is all i need not two also im practically finding cars that have never been taken care of so this tar has been on fer awhile i dont use machines and it melts like butter i dont understand the problem with wax removal though yall seem concerned.....i add that to the sales pitch
Sir i can get it off see this spot ? ....gone.....but !!!!! ill have to rewax because although it is safe for ure clearcoat it completely removes the wax !!!

jp99gt
05-17-2003, 11:12 AM
An update for you guys removing tire rubber:

I get two kinds of rubber on my finish - one, race compound (race tires), and two, street compounds. I found there are two approaches best to use for removal.

If you get tire rubber buildup from the street, it tends to go on thicker. I had over 1/32" of buildup on the rear quarter panels by the rear tire edge. This rubber tends to melt at higher temperatures and buildups need to be dissolved, so the kerosene works best. For thicker areas I used a fingernail and helped scrape it off.

Race rubber is a different compound and can be treated differently. I`ve never gotten huge thick buildups but very thin streaks of rubber on the finish. After a track day, a liberal amount of soapy water and fine (blue) clay removes the streaks and spots fine without needing to resort to the kerosene.