PDA

View Full Version : Cutting pads: Do you prefer flat or VC?

Pages : [1] 2

White95Max
01-23-2005, 07:18 PM
I have an orange Variable-Contact light-cut pad, but I think I would prefer a flat pad, where the entire pad is always contacting the surface.

Do you prefer a flat pad or concave (VC) pad?

Where can I get a flat cutting pad?

Is the Meg`s 7006 cutting pad flat?

JasonD
01-23-2005, 07:30 PM
If we are talking *cutting* pad only (moderate to high abrasives), I like the Advanced Lake Country Pads from TOL (yellow only), since they don`t get caked quickly at all vs. the flat pads that cake very quickly with a thick product like 3M RC. I prefer flat pads for everything else, and I use Sonus pads for that. I just saw recently that Propel has an orange pad like Sonus, but also has an additional yellow cutting pad which should be just like the yellow LC pad that I like so much, just flat.

l33
01-23-2005, 07:48 PM
PC - flat

Rotary - VC

6']['9
01-23-2005, 08:59 PM
same as L33, you can get the flat LC pads from detailers paradise. The concave ones are good too on the pc. The megs pads are flat too but i dont like their cutting pad i perfer the LC cutting(orange) or the Edge green pad.

White95Max
01-23-2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by 6`][`9

...you can get the flat LC pads from detailers paradise.

link?

With the Edge pads, you need to buy a new backing plate don`t you?

PakShak
01-23-2005, 09:29 PM
If you go with the Edge pads you have two options.

1. The Edge 2000 Double-Sided Durafoam Buffing Pads For DA Polishers (Quick-Connect) with DA Quick-Connect Adapter sold separately.

or

2. The Edge Durafoam Buffing Pads For DA Polishers (Hook & Loop Connection) with 5" velcro backing plate.

www.detailersparadise.com

With Aloha,

Ranney :)

TW85 HHI
01-23-2005, 10:26 PM
I`ve been looking at the Edge 2000 pads. How does the quick-connect work without the risk of scratching paint?

6']['9
01-23-2005, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by White95Max

link?

With the Edge pads, you need to buy a new backing plate don`t you?

Heres the link.

http://www.detailersparadise.com/_System/_AdvancedStore/ProductList.asp

I already have the 5" backing plate on my pc and both my rotaries. So if i use the edge i dont have the quick connect. I didnt like the edge on the PC cause the adhesive comes off rather quickly. But i must admit that theyre great on the rotary.

usdm
01-24-2005, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by TW85 HHI

I`ve been looking at the Edge 2000 pads. How does the quick-connect work without the risk of scratching paint?

Edge 2000 pads use duraoam, which feels a bit stiffer

than their classic foam. The disk in the 2000 pads sits

in the middle of the pads, and are disigned to be very

durable and not let the quick connect section come

through. If you are familiar with sockets and ratchets,

this works in a similar fashion.

Incidentally, I have been using both the classic and

2000 pads for some time now. But now that I use the

D/A size pads more often, I just stick with them: use the

pad on the rotary, then switch over to the d/a if I need

a little more finese.

Alfisti
01-24-2005, 04:10 AM

I prefer both! :D

For most surfaces flat works better. But if you`re doing a classic/vintage type (or even a contemporary) car with lots of curves and cowls, a flat pad will drive you nuts. It lifts too much resulting in polish sling and dusting. Also at high speed it will stop spining too easily reducing its cutting effectiveness.

For our detailing business I keep both types, especially for cutting, and tailor their use to the vehicle.

Where can I get a flat cutting pad?

Is the Meg`s 7006 cutting pad flat?

You might find this pad too aggressive with a PC. Both Megs and those who`ve used it (including myself) say its only for rotary use. Using it can dull down the surface to an extreme, making it hard to recover.

Go for the medium-light cutting pads, as you`re doing.

Glossequation
01-24-2005, 09:41 AM

Man I hate concave pads. I never feel I`m getting even distribution and find myself pressing down too hard to get that. The concept of it is good if you`re using a rotary which produces alot of splatter. But for me, using a PC, there is not much splatter to control therefore a flat pad where I know I`m getting full contact works well for me.

I have the orange Sonus pad and that thing is serious - it is an aggressive pad that will leave some micromarring (I used it with 3M FCRC). But its quickly cleaned up with a white polishing pad and some 3M PI III MG. A great two step polishing process!!

White95Max
01-24-2005, 12:40 PM
Is that the orange SFX1 pad?

AutoNova
01-24-2005, 06:15 PM
I really prefer Meg`s pads for my rotary and PC, I have started to use the 6" on both and find them easier to work with.

zainoshine
01-26-2005, 09:45 PM
Paul,

The SFX-1 Pad is Yellow. The original Sonus pad style Sonus orange pad (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-daspad-or.html) is an excellent pad. Both the SFX line and original Sonus DAS are flat pads.

JaCkaL829
01-26-2005, 09:49 PM
I`ve been using only LC VC pads and want to try switching over to flat, at least for my cutting. Top of the Line has flat LC orange cutting pads that I plan on trying in the spring. TOL has some of the lowest prices I`ve seen for pads.