PDA

View Full Version : 3m body repair rubbing compound Fine cut

Pages : [1] 2

vick-e
01-23-2005, 06:35 PM
3m body repair rubbing compound Fine cut

i have been searching for this product on this forum but can not find it.

is this the same product as these 3mfi and 3mpi?

i live in canada if that makes difference.

Accumulator
01-23-2005, 07:09 PM
I somehow doubt that it`s the same as either the FI or the PI stuff, but I don`t really know. What`s the 3M part number?

vick-e
01-23-2005, 07:15 PM
its different than the numbers i have found on the site

i think this is what your looking for....

03900c

i know it works really good removing swirls by hand if i concentrate on one swirl for around.... 30 mins or so.

Accumulator
01-23-2005, 07:19 PM
Yeah, 3900 is the part number but I won`t be of any help as I`m not familiar with that product :o Sorry...

But if it works that slowly then at least it`s not too aggressive. That`s the blessing and the curse of the good 3M RCs. Sorta frustrating having to work on something that long, huh?

If you`re using it by hand, that`s just how it`s gonna work. If you`re using a PC, you can try a more aggressive pad (and always work at speed 5 or 6).

vick-e
01-23-2005, 08:17 PM
=) gona try it with a brand new pc tomorrow!!! thats if it is not raining.

well hopefully someone here will give me a good answer.

i tried emailing them but still no reply for 2 weeks now.

Edit: woops i just read my own reply and the good answer part sounded bad. hopefully i did not offend you. i meant good answer meaning a solid answer if the product i have is in fact the perfect it series products.

stevet
01-23-2005, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by vick-e

3m body repair rubbing compound Fine cut

i have been searching for this product on this forum but can not find it.

is this the same product as these 3mfi and 3mpi?

i live in canada if that makes difference.

Are you talking about the 3M Rubbing Compound that they sell in Walmart in the body shop supplies area? If so I remember a thread about that. If I remember correctly it is Perfect It II Fine Cut Rubbing Compound in a different bottle..

6']['9
01-23-2005, 11:52 PM
3m fine cut is 3m FC the PI is the Perfect It.

stevet
01-24-2005, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by 6`][`9

3m fine cut is 3m FI the PI is the Perfect It.

3M FI = Finesse It II Machine Polish

3M PI = Perfect It. There is perfect It II and III. Fine Cut is in the Perfect It II line. It is 3M Perfect It II Fine Cut Rubbing compound.

6']['9
01-24-2005, 12:03 AM
Writing>Me :( sorry i wrote that wong

3m

FI~finess it

FC~ Fine Cut

RC~Rubbing Compound

MG~Machine Glaze~\

PI~Perfect It

FG~Finishing Glaze

IHG~ Imperial Hand Glaze

MP~Machine Polish

Now remember theres PI II and PI III, and now theres PI 3000

stevet
01-24-2005, 12:11 AM

Writing>Me :( sorry i wrote that wong

3m

FI~finess it

FC~ Fine Cut

RC~Rubbing Compound

MG~Machine Glaze~\

PI~Perfect It

FG~Finishing Glaze

IHG~ Imperial Hand Glaze

MP~Machine Polish

Now remember theres PI II and PI III, and now theres PI 3000

Those are correct. What was the point you were trying to make?

6']['9
01-24-2005, 12:15 AM
he had been searching for it and wasnt finding it. he was searching 3mfi & 3mpi. this gives him the acronyms so he knows what to search for. Cause Fine cut isnt fi or pi.

stevet
01-24-2005, 12:27 AM

Cause Fine cut isnt fi or pi.

Fine Cut is actually in the PI line. Perfect It II Fine Cut Rubbing Compound.

vick-e
01-24-2005, 01:42 AM
I actually baught it at Zellers, but i think i have seen it at walmart before.

thanks for all the info. i just wonder why they dont call it perfect it.

i checked if it was in the perfect line because it was the closest thing i found, and the labels on them are different i think.

the 3m fine cut i read on the product review section says it removes 1200 grit and finer while my bottle says 1500 grit.

just the little differences but i still just wanted to make sure.

well ill be using it with a pc most likely tomorrow hope fully it turns out real good!

THANKS FOR ALL THE RESPONSES

vick-e
01-28-2005, 12:39 AM
well thats the product i have. can anyone else take a look and see if these are infact perfect it or finese series compounds...im still trying to determine how abrasive these are. after reading the detailing guide by david...it says not to use compounds on cars...and now im afraid too...my pc has been delayed for till feb 10th...

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/home_leisure/-/node_GSRNM1L51Lgs/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSHCV1ZFXKge/bgel_GS4ZY13BPGbl/gvel_V2G53V0FBRgl/theme_us_homeleisure_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html

M Id : 70-0707-2734-5

GTIN(UPC/EAN) : 0 00 51131 03900 1

l

Accumulator
01-28-2005, 11:45 AM
I go out on a limb here and say it`s almost certainly OK to use it as long as you apply common sense. I don`t see anything on that 3M link that would scare me off and hey, you`ve already used it right? Since you said how long it takes to remove marring with it, I think it`s safe to assume that it`s pretty mild.

I certainly don`t want to :argue with David, but there are compounds and then there are compounds if you know what I mean. Many of the 3M "compounds", at least the fine cut ones, are actually quite mild (though they can really cut when used by rotary). Using it by PC shouldn`t make it much more aggressive than it is by hand and sometimes using the PC actually seems to make products behave *less* aggressively since the work is more evenly distributed over the area of whatever pad you`re using.

Do be prepared to follow up with a milder, but still abrasive, polish. Something like 3M PI-III Mg (05937).