PDA

View Full Version : vinyl top cleaner...............

captaincrabby
01-23-2005, 02:53 PM
Does anybody have any experience or opinions about the vinyl and soft top cleaning and protectant products from an outfit called RaggTopp (the spelling is correct)?

petraidm
01-23-2005, 08:32 PM
I have a Honda S2000 and use Raggtopp Products all the time. IMO the protectant is the best due primarily to what I`ll call "run-off" issues.

I have used the following protectants so far (in order of preference):

1) RaggTopp

2) 303

3) Vinylex

I have also used Raggtopp`s and 303`s Convertible top cleaner; either one is good and I don`t have a preference.

I only use the convertible top cleaner every 4 to 6 months. If you wash your car regularly, your normal car wash solution and mitt is sufficient to keep the top clean.

When using the cleaner I will use the following steps:

1) Wash top with normal mitt and car wash soulution

2) Rinse

3) Spray top cleaner on the top and agitate with a soft scrub brush. Go over the entire top scrubbing small sections at a time. The key is to make sure you get all spots.

4)Rinse

5) Dry top thoroughly

You do not want to apply the protectant to a damp top. To apply the protectant:

1) Spray protectant on a small sponge; not on the top. Spraying the top directly will lead to "over-spray" on the windows / paint. I use a very soft sponge that easily absorbs and releases the product.

2) Apply product to top with sponge. (Repeat steps 1-2 until entire top is covered)

3) Let product sit on top for 15 - 30 Minutes (I wait 30)

4) Wipe excess material off the top with a micro fibre towel. You want to get the excess off and you want to use a non linting towel.

Now for the run-off issue... all the protectants I`ve used make the top look good and do a good job of protecting the top. Run-off occurs the next time the top gets wet (either via rain or the next washing) resulting in a film on the windows and paint. Of the three, Raggtop is the only one I used that did not result in run-off. Once I saw this, I abandoned the others and have not tried anything else since.

Hope this hleps

captaincrabby
01-23-2005, 09:44 PM
petraidm / Many thanks for your terrific reply to my thread. I`ve had a real problem finding anyone who`s even heard of this line of products, and you`ve told me exactly what I wanted to know.

togwt
01-24-2005, 09:05 AM
petraidm- totally agree

Rode & Schwalenbert Gmbn. (Germany) the worlds leading manufacturer of automobile convertible tops exclusively recommends Harrtz RaggTop Cleaners and Protectant. Developed specifically for cleaning, re-proofing and preserving convertible tops, these cleaning kits consist of two products

1. Cleaner to remove soiling, stains and atmospheric pollution for both natural and synthetic materials. The best cleaners are formulated from low-pH (low alkalinity) and gentle enough for repeated use over years. They will rely on proteins and enzymes for their safe, but effective, cleaning power.

2. Fabric protector to re-proof and preserve fabric tops from the effects of water absorption, surface soiling and staining, and provide a sunscreen from UV radiation and subsequent fading. The fabric protector recommended by Glen Raven Mills (Sunbrella) and the Haartz Corporation is 303 High Tech Fabric Guard restores lost water repellence and stain repellence to factory new levels. It stops leaks, resists soiling, impedes mildew formation and helps protect against the sun`s harmful UV rays.