PDA

View Full Version : if I do Menzerna IP and Fp do I need AIO at all?

ERASE
01-23-2005, 01:40 PM
if I do Menzerna IP and Fp do I need AIO at all?

Also if I use Zaino clay IP and FP without AIO can I avoid the Dawn wash?

I`m only asking this because I thought teh Menzernas have no fillers or oils...is this true- can you go directly to a seaslent?

So if this is true and I use Clay, IP and FP can I skip the dawn and and AIo or will I have to use at least one of them?

Bill D
01-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Depends on what your LSP(s) will be. My procedure is more or less going to be to always use AIO prior to applying a sealant.

It`s not absolutely necessary, just as purely personal procedure.

I never use Dawn on a finish. I would substitute with localized use of the water : isopropyl alcohol mix and/or a Prepsol/Prep All solvent

6']['9
01-23-2005, 02:00 PM
yeah you can skip the AIO step if you want and go you your LSP. But almost everything looks better when AIO is underneath. Its on of those products you cant go wrong with. Its a great cleaner polish and i have never come across a time when i have used it and have been dissatisfied.

RobD
01-23-2005, 03:18 PM
I use FPII (with a PC) on my black paint and I`m always rewarded with a beautiful finish. One day, I followed FPII with some AIO and it left behind a slightly hazy appearance (viewed under direct light). Now, whether FPII does indeed leave behind a little something which AIO removed and/or AIO just didn`t gel with this particular black paint, I don`t know. Black is sensitive, of course, but I was really a little disappointed. I use AIO on my silver car and really like the results, but I think I`ll avoid using it on black, again. I`d like to try following FPII with VM.

ERASE
01-23-2005, 03:48 PM
I did a 94 E420 Metallic Black with IP + Fp and Souveran...no clay- and it simply looked amazing and the paint felt so supple to the touch.

I wonder if I had clayed it - if it would have been better- the car looked like it was out of a commercial when it drove off.

Will AIO make the Souveran bond better?

I want to try using the Zaino system on this car. Now.

Should I clay- skip the IP and do a quick FP pass and skip AIO

OR

Clay + IP + FP + Dawn + AIO + zaino????

I`m actually hoping I could just AIO it to remove left over souveran and go right to Zaino...but which Zaino products?

ERASE
01-23-2005, 03:51 PM
If I do a decontaminent wash...can I assume I don`t need to clay??? Then do I have to redo the IP and FP or.....can I go straight to Zaino?

Bill D
01-23-2005, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by RobD

I use FPII (with a PC) on my black paint and I`m always rewarded with a beautiful finish. One day, I followed FPII with some AIO and it left behind a slightly hazy appearance (viewed under direct light). Now, whether FPII does indeed leave behind a little something which AIO removed and/or AIO just didn`t gel with this particular black paint, I don`t know. Black is sensitive, of course, but I was really a little disappointed. I use AIO on my silver car and really like the results, but I think I`ll avoid using it on black, again. I`d like to try following FPII with VM.

This proves there`s a first for hearing certain things. I`ve never ever had such an issue . Any time I perform paint correction on my black paint I religiously use AIO when I`m getting close to finalizing the LSP process

If you use a decontamination wash like ABC or Finish Kare I believe it is recommended you clay during the second stage. Use IP and FP if there are paint defects then apply your LSP.

Regardless of the use a decontamination wash system, during a full detail I always clay

I can only picture AIO making Souveran bond "better" if I`m considering it`s excellent paint cleaning ability, making the paint totally "prepped" to receive the coat of Souveran.

RobD
01-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

This proves there`s a first for hearing certain things. I`ve never ever had such an issue . Any time I perform paint correction on my black paint I religiously use AIO when I`m getting close to finalizing the LSP process

Yeah, I was surprised, myself. The results are always great after FPII, and since it`s not supposed to contain any fillers, I figure the finish is near perfect and bare naked. After AIO, I saw what looked like minor PC induced micromarring under my test light (I probably didn`t work the FPII well enough), meaning the FPII must leave some kind of fill, but besides that, the look was a little dull/flat - "hazy" may not have been the best descriptive and a little exaggerative. Whatever happened, it looked better before the AIO. I followed up with EX and the finish looked nice, so the end result wasn`t negatively impacted too much, if at all.

ERASE
01-23-2005, 05:15 PM
So from where I am now- a car that had Ip Fp and Souveran...

Bill D. Thanks for the advice- I guess there is no way around the clay process. And if the decontamination process also uses clay I guess I may as well do that as well.

After the clay and decontamination process...

Will I have to do Ip and Fp again and then AIO? Or will I be able to go straight to AIO then Zaino?

Bill D
01-23-2005, 05:32 PM
FWIW, this is my personal take on your situation; sorta Ãâ‚Å“what I would do if I were in your shoesÃâ‚Â :

If you have the following:

IP

FP

AIO

Zaino

1. Inspect for defects: micro marring, swirls, random isolated scratches, etc. ( If none, skip to step4 )

2. Using your judgment, polish via FP alone or IP then FP.

3. Continue this process until you are satisfied with the decrease in defects.

4. Forget Dawn.

*5. You might want to try AIO as IÃâ‚â„ve seen it used here once or twice as a base for Zaino. If you do not have it, I would not make a rush to order some though since you plan on using Zaino. (Consult with others who have done so and those who argue against doing so). OR

Apply your Zaino.

6. Admire your work.

HTH

Accumulator
01-23-2005, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by ERASE

I guess there is no way around the clay process. And if the decontamination process also uses clay I guess I may as well do that as well.

After the clay and decontamination process...

Will I have to do Ip and Fp again and then AIO? Or will I be able to go straight to AIO then Zaino?

Yeah, the decontamination works better with clay than without. I clay while the acidic step is dwelling (have plenty of clay, the acid is hard on it).

I`d do a quick polish with FP after all that. Just added insurance against any marring and, well, it just seems like a good idea. After the decontamination, you`ll be at the best "bare paint" situation possible for polishing and I wouldn`t pass that up. I think it`ll make for a subtle improvement in how the paint looks.