PDA

View Full Version : Need a new method for a deeper shine

Pages : [1] 2

GlossyTundra
01-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Ok it finally drove me nuts. I have a Tundra with Phantom grey matalic paint. I cant get good depth out of the matalic. My current method is

Clay with mothers kit

polish with meg`s #2

finish with 4 coats of p21s

The finish is plenty shiny and spot and swirl free, but I feel the depth could be more than it is. Espesially when the sun hits the side of the truck directly. I know that p21s is a great wax, but is there any other steps to get the depth I want?

Thanks

Brandon

stilez
01-22-2005, 11:40 AM
You need to up your polishing stage.

I had a problem getting depth out of my red repaint when using just a light polish.

I would look at Poorboy`s and Menzerna polishes.

6']['9
01-22-2005, 12:19 PM
i dont know how much depth you can get out of a pewter or silver, not much id assume. Any how if your vehicle is swirl free you may need something like a glaze to add a little depth. meguiars 80 works good and so does VM. AIO is my choice for a cleaner polsih and adds greath depth for almost any color. If anything and your finish doesnt get any depth it will have more noticeable flake in it and thats a +

Mr Monk
01-22-2005, 12:23 PM
As GSRstilez said, the polish is the key here to improved depth of shine. Although P21S is a fine wax I question the 4 applications. (There`s a debate here about layering coats of wax more than, say, 2 coats). And, as 6][9 said it`s tough to get depth on light metallics.

I`d go with any number of polishes available and get the surface where you want it, then apply your wax. You may want to try other carnubas that will darken the paint a bit more. Megs #26 and Pinnacle Souveran come to mind. (there are many others).

I persoanlly like Vanilla Moose before waxing.

Just some thoughts. . . Hope this helps.

lbls1
01-22-2005, 12:28 PM
You are starting off too heavy with the wax. You have to build your wax finish (resolution) slowly. The way that I achieve my results is to do the first big clean and polish and then finish with no more than one or two coats of the carnauba of my choice.

Come back in a couple of days or a week`s time, and just hit it again with one coat of your carnauba. Continue this regimen at a week or no sooner than two days time by hitting the surface with one coat of your carnauba. By the sixth or seventh application (yes I am using the "L" word again......ban me!) your waxed surface should show a very deep shine. You should, however, use a very good carnauba qd in between your wax deposits (as an example, after every third coat).

The quality of your result will ultimately depend on the quality of your wax. P21S IMO is an excellent wax that should give you great results if you stick to a regimen. Polish will get the paint shiny and clean in the beginning, but the depth of shine and still results and ultimate finish quality will depend on the wax.

Good luck.

a.k.a. Patrick
01-22-2005, 06:59 PM
Its my belief you have to shoot for looks with polishes and glazes, wax is a just a barrier. For your particular color, I`d go with something a little heavier in oils. Id start with 80, then vanilla moose, and top with a polymer like Fourstar or Blackfire.....

80 is going to give you the clarity, this is where the flake pops....

VM is going to give you some oils which will supply some depth.....

and the polymers (And shoot me if you disagree) generally have more oils and will hold the color and depth longer for you.....This has been my experience, and i own a Driftwood silver pickup.....Lots of pop with the Fourstar or Blackfire.....Obviously the darker, the more depth you can attain, mine is about middle road, not dark, has some pearl to it, but not light....

CostaK
01-22-2005, 07:49 PM
I have just used #80, VM, NXT on my black non metallic honda paint. If the weather improves today it will get souveran.

When my brother saw it he was blown away (my previous combo was #80, GEPC, WG SG and Souveran).

It had great depth and the colour and shine is amazing.

I have also used #80, Poorboys Pro Polish and P21S on merc`s silver metallic and the flake really popped out.

I agree with everyone else. Concentrate more on your polishing and you will get great results.

tripper_11
01-22-2005, 08:05 PM
Try #26, it has different appearance than P21S.

P21S = reflections/wetter (ala #16)

#26 = deep/dark/depth but not much reflective but you can cheat this with the polish (ala NXT)

audipower
01-23-2005, 12:14 AM
If you step up on your polishing remember to always start on the lowest. DOn`t go straight to a cutting polish. Try the Sonus Polish. It`s easy and the best. I would try Klasse AIO after the polish. Alot of time people think clay will restore shine when it doesn`t. I would use a paint cleaner after the clay.

Do you have any pics? Is there swirls, oxidation or just dull paint? Are you waiting 24 hrs between waxes? I would use a paint cleaner and DEFINITELY a better polish like Sonus or Mezerna. If it`s a newer Tundra I wouldn`t think itwould be that bad. I do a black one a couple of months ago and the guy never waxed it since he bought it. I used Sonus Clay, Sonus Paint Cleaner, Sonus SFX #3, Klasse AIO, Klasse SG and P21S.

GlossyTundra
01-23-2005, 08:43 AM
no its not bad at all. no swirls or oxidation. Its about the cleanest smoothest finish you can ask for. I just dosent have that deep quality that I like and strive for. It could be the color paint. I will probably go and try the meg`s #26 and see how that works.

Richt
01-23-2005, 09:51 AM
The most noticable depth improvers I have used are VM or Meguiars hand polish, both have given me the best improvements on metallic paints.

Bill D
01-23-2005, 09:58 AM
If you`re willing to spend the time required try:

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38121&highlight=spit+shine

6']['9
01-23-2005, 11:30 AM
Heres some pics, i dont know the color but its a ford color. Maybe you can tell if theres any depth to it or not. I think i did ssr1, ex,p21 to be honest w/you i dont even remember. but as you can see theres not much depth but lots of clarity.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/14478img_0021.jpg

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/14478img_0018.jpg

Jsfetko
01-23-2005, 01:47 PM
I like this view:

Scottwax
01-23-2005, 02:51 PM
#2 is too aggressive a polish to follow with your wax or sealant.

I`d go with Meguiars #80 (assuming it is adequate enough to remove any defects you may have), Vanilla Moose and top with Meguiars #26, Poorboy`s EX w/carnauba or even Pinnacle Souveran.