PDA

View Full Version : VOC Regulation Effects?

Setec Astronomy
01-21-2005, 08:18 AM
Any manufacturers care to comment on the effect of tighter VOC regs on their product lines? This in light of Meguiar`s recent announcement of the discontinuation of some products popular here. I would be especially interested in comments from the "boutique" manufacturers who may be exempt by virtue of production volumes, etc.

stevet
01-21-2005, 09:22 AM
I would especially like to hear from Klasse. I don`t care too much about SG but I hope AIO is going to be OK.

forrest@mothers
01-21-2005, 09:53 AM
There are no exemptions for volume produced - everyone is required to meet the new regulations.

We have reformulated all products which required doing so. If you`d like a .pdf of the new regulations, and their limits, for all products (not just automotive chemicals), e-mail or PM me and I`ll be glad to let you read through 49 pages of dull and boring legalese.

SVR
01-21-2005, 09:45 PM
Autoglym and Dinitrol don`t have to worry about VOC. Some of theyre products are Voc free and smell great too.

txz28
01-22-2005, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by stevet

I would especially like to hear from Klasse.

Me too.

Scottwax
01-23-2005, 11:56 PM
I wonder if Clearkote and Poorboy`s will be affected.

Setec Astronomy
01-24-2005, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

I wonder if Clearkote and Poorboy`s will be affected.

I haven`t used any CK products, but I do have a bottle of Pb`s Pro Polish, which is very solventy, but it has a different smell than MPPC, more wintergreen. I presume it`s a different solvent, maybe more mineral spirits rather than ketone solvent...maybe it won`t be affected.

Big Leegr
01-24-2005, 04:04 AM
The only thing Steve (Poorboys) has mentioned so far as being reformulated for VOC compatability is the QD+.

puma444
02-23-2005, 06:12 PM
The California VOC regulations are only allowing 14% VOC for polishes/waxes/sealants and 17% compounds. Hard Cake paste wax is limited to 45% VOC.

A VOC is a Volatile Organic Compound. These are the solvents that are used in polishes. aka mineral spirits, vm&p naptha, stoddard solvent, etc. These products are now limited to the above percentages.

My guess is that most manufacturers are still selling through stock that was made last year. We are allowed a 1 year sell through for product made previously to December 31, 2004. I think you will begin to see changes in some of the products in the next 6 months.

SpoiledMan
02-23-2005, 06:26 PM
Good explanation Puma but I think it`s 3 years to sell off all the products.