PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for your driveways?

twopu
01-19-2005, 06:05 PM
I`ve used rock salt for years but my neighbor refuses to use it because he is afraid of it destroying his driveway. I just moved and never had an asphalt driveway so should I be careful with what I put down?

JaCkaL829
01-19-2005, 06:38 PM
I was looking up the same thing, I guess the snow got you wondering? The town put in new sidewalks and aprons on my street in the summer. They also sent us a card a couple of weeks warning us of the dangers of rock salt and advising us to use a calcium chloride salt. I was just looking around online and it seems the consensus is to wait at least 1 year for the cement to cure. I`m just going to use a calcium blend on my sidewalk VERY lightly.

BTW, I`ve been using rock salt on my driveway which was done like 12 years ago and have never had any problems.

Opps, just realized you have an asphalt driveway, not sure what to do.

Accumulator
01-19-2005, 09:01 PM
Asphalt or concrete, I just shovel/push/snow-blow the snow off. If/when I have a major problem with ice build-up I use a spudbar to bust it up.

But IMO ashphalt is gonna be a lot less sensitive about stuff like salt than concrete is.

Blazern00b
01-20-2005, 12:18 AM
I use the prestone heat stuff. I think if i recall it was a bit more expensive, but it works good and hasnt damaged anything yet.

93zder
01-20-2005, 11:12 AM
I bought some `Alaskan` ice melter at Costco - 44lbs for $15 CA. comes with a scoop and handy flip open top. This stuff melts ice and snow really fast, but leaves a blue residue which fades away after a little while.