PDA

View Full Version : rain, rain, rain

Carl Anderson
01-19-2005, 09:12 AM
Its been raining forever here in Seattle, and the forecast is for it to continue. This means I can`t detail at my home because I do not have a garage. But I have a shop at our farm on Whidbey, and last week I continued my introduction to the Makita 9227, this time practicing on our 27 year old Kubota tractor. I think I have only washed this tractor once in 27 years; but then my autopian obsession only started a few years ago, and it took this long before lawn mowers, washing machines, and tractors were included.

I started the detail last week and this is the hood after polishing with DACP using a cutting pad and then following with a polishing pad. Will continue the detail this week. OH my God are the back tires big!

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/4827103_0318.jpg

ntwrkguy1
01-19-2005, 10:27 AM
I have a friend who `detailed` one of the really big John Deere combines at his grandparents farm in rural GA. I think his grandparents were a little concerned, but they liked the way it turned out.

I think you should detail the tires, then look into getting some custom chrome rims (like 34`s) for the tractor. You`d have the only one around! :)

audipower
01-20-2005, 02:02 AM
I got a call to detail a huge azz tractor. I went to see it and it looked like the ones that mow down corn stalks? It had a BIG blades twisting on the side. I mean big, about 30 feet long and it had to be 15 to 18 ft. high. He wanted the paint cleaned thoroughly and looking real nice for a farm auction. It had no big scratches, but some nasty swirls. I told him $40 an hour. I couldn`t give him a set price. I told him it would take me probably 12 hrs to do it including the swirls, but 8 hrs without. He wanted the 8 hrs of course. I never cut corners doing a car or moto, meaning no swirls after I`m done with a car. But IT WAS A TRACTOR! I would never do that again. It sucked. I have a real bad back and I was hurting after that. I clayed it which took the longest. Sonus Paint Cleaner which the owner wanted. I was just going to AIO it and not Paint Clean it but customers always right. Then AIO, Then SG, Then P21S. He came in the barn and he said, "WOW", "I like". He called me after the auction and thanked me. He said he got the highest bid out of all tractors. He said there was another one the same model and a year earlier and sold for $3k less. Yeah, because clean paint means you take care of your vehicle. He said he had business for me but I said no thank you.