PDA

View Full Version : OCW pre-review

Pages : [1] 2

raymond_ho2002
01-18-2005, 06:21 PM
Since I brought up having used Optimum Car wax in another thread I might as well elaborate a little bit more about it.

I had mentioned that I didn`t have a solid opinion on it yet, but so far it looks very promising. If you don`t know about it already, it is a sealant wax that works just like a QD; spray, wipe on, wipe off. I took a leap of faith and ordered a gallon.

The method of application isn`t as wild as it sounds. Sealants like klasse SG and glanz wax are both very watery, yet the general concensus is that they are among the top when it comes to durability. Some people have put these products into spray bottles, and most of us know of the wipe on/off technique for klasse, and some even do it for glanz.

I`ve only used OCW once so far, and so far it seems pretty easy. It takes more effort to wipe off than a QD, but no more than the effort it takes to wipe off a carnauba like s100, #16, or souveran. It got a bit smeary at times but I was working under bad lighting and I think i was more careless than I should`ve been.

I dont have much to say about how it looks; I don`t have as discriminating an eye as many others here, but it looks good to me, as do most products. I think it looks better than just QDing after a wash.

The biggest advantage to me is that I get to finally put protection on parts that I otherwise get lazy about. I tend not to wax rocker panels, bumpers, license plates, and wheels because I hate spending the extra time to get them sufficiently clean, and I don`t like contaminating my applicator pads. That`s no longer an excuse, because all I have to do now is spray and wipe, just like i normally would with a qd after a wash.

Durability? No idea; I just put it on 2 days ago. I`ve read few weeks at the very least. If it lasts even just a month, I would consider it a great deal. When was the last time you were able to get protection and shine this easy at $6 per 16oz (calculated from gallon price)?

I`ve already felt like I got my money`s worth. Anything better than what i`ve gotten out of it is icing on the cake. There`s not much to lose from buying this product.

Wasatch
01-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Thanks, I will be trying some this spring.

Anthony O.
01-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Glad to see others are taking a chance on this rather unique product.

It`s almost too easy so the general thinking is, "No way this stuff can actually be used as a final topper" Yet it works great and so far I have had no problems with it going over any waxes or sealants.

OCW though is not intended to "clean" paint, this is where the connection with a traditional QD ends.

Raymond, do my "3 week test", which is to wash your car every week and after every wash apply some OCW and after the 3rd wash and application see how your paint feels and looks.

You should find your car washes more easily, dries easier, feels very slick and has a great look to it. I noticed these things with my work truck after 3 weeks of using the OCW, others have also on their cars so let us all know in a few weeks.

Anthony

raymond_ho2002
01-19-2005, 12:49 AM
Anthony, I will try what you suggest. I did my second application today, 2 days after the first OCW application. I cleaned the car with poorboyâ€â„¢s spray and wipe, qdâ€â„¢ed with clearkote quikshine, and then did the ocw.

The first time I used it I sprayed and wiped until dry using one towel. This time I used a MF applicator to spread the ocw around on the paint before wiping off with a towel. I found this to be helpful in 3 ways:

1) it helped me use less product, since the applicator would saturate quickly and I would have to spray less on subsequent panels

2) using the applicator ensures even coverage

3) Spreading evaporated the product a bit, resulting in my final-wipe towel to saturate slower.

The surface felt very slick after application. I had the roof sealed with UPP, and running my hand over OCWed surfaces felt indistinguishable from the roof. After doing this I then proceeded to apply ocw to the roof.

I couldnâ€â„¢t tell if it looked any better since itâ€â„¢s 10pm now and I finished the application an hour ago.

Scottwax
01-19-2005, 01:01 AM
I`ve tried OCW a few times as well. It seems to work very well and the appearance reminds me of NXT. I don`t know about durability because I am constantly trying stuff on my car.

RobD
01-19-2005, 04:53 PM
OT: Anyone try Top of the Line`s "Black Velvet" carnauba wax ~ $35. Supposedly, it fills scratches, even nicks, on black paint and leaves a deep finish. TIA.

AutoNova
01-19-2005, 09:32 PM
Where do you buy OCW or get information on it?

AutoNova
01-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Anthony Orosco

Glad to see others are taking a chance on this rather unique product.

It`s almost too easy so the general thinking is, "No way this stuff can actually be used as a final topper" Yet it works great and so far I have had no problems with it going over any waxes or sealants.

OCW though is not intended to "clean" paint, this is where the connection with a traditional QD ends.

Raymond, do my "3 week test", which is to wash your car every week and after every wash apply some OCW and after the 3rd wash and application see how your paint feels and looks.

You should find your car washes more easily, dries easier, feels very slick and has a great look to it. I noticed these things with my work truck after 3 weeks of using the OCW, others have also on their cars so let us all know in a few weeks.

Anthony

Anthony,

Does this dry white by any chance or is it a white liquid? I assume not if it can go on trim.

raymond_ho2002
01-20-2005, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by AutoNova

Does this dry white by any chance or is it a white liquid? I assume not if it can go on trim.

The liquid is milky white, similar to a rubber/vinyl dressing like 303 or armorall. To answer your question:

"What should I do if I spray Optimum Car Wax on my black trim?

Since Optimum Car Wax has no abrasives, it will not cause damage to moldings or trims. In fact, Optimum will provide these surfaces with UV protection!"

This is taken from:

http://www.topoftheline.com/spray-wax.html

imported_RIC
01-20-2005, 07:59 AM
I was not at all impressed with OCW. It needs to be shaken and shaken often. It starts seperating within 15 minutes. If you buy the gallon size be sure to use see through spray bottles so that you do not inadvertently forget to shake it up. I was disappointed that the directions made no mention whatsoever that the product needs to be shaken up.

I purchased it based on some of the comments here like, "The OCW is just like a QD and it can be used as an excellant topper or final wipe down spray on a sealant or carnauba."

I found that it can not be used just like a QD. With even the slightest amount of dust or dirt film the product clumps and becomes very difficult to remove.

I originally planned on using it as QD but ended up having to QD the entire vehicle first with Final Detail and then applied the optimum. It worked out ok but was definitely not the easiest product to work with. Several other sealant/wax brands apply and remove as easily or easier than OCW.

It looks good but nothing special. I can`t comment on durability as it has been mostly dry and frigidly cold and the car has been neither washed nor rained on.

Anthony O.
01-20-2005, 09:57 AM
All products must, again, be shaken, many directions on many products call for: "Shake well before and during use"

Seperation is due to the heavier polymers sinking. It is APPLIED like a QD but it will not act like one, in the sense that it is used to clean or remove grime.

Cold temps effect the mixing of the product. Others using it in cold temps have told me that warming the product up in the house and/or warming up their garage allows them to use it with no problems.

I did state this:

I have mentioned prior to this that OCW will replace my QD "Clear Pearl". The reason for this is not because OCW is like CP but because I used CP as a final topper to boost or enhance the wax or sealants already present on the paint OR I would use a QD in my washing and drying process. I rarely ever used CP, or any QD for that matter, to clean paint as I would rather wash the car.

OCW has now replaced my QD`s in the above uses. I use OCW as a stand alone topper which is something I could never do with a QD. Did a Silver Jag yesterday, interior cleaning, wash and OCW and it looked great. The exterior portion took me about 45 minutes.

So far my experience with OCW has been nothing but pleasurable, although I was highly critical of it at first. When Irene sent it to me I told her on the phone it sounds like another "wonder wax" that turns out to be crap. To my shock and surprise I was proven wrong. So for a carnauba look, polymer feel, longlasting finish, ease of application.....a few shakes now and then is trade off I can live with.

Anthony

raymond_ho2002
01-20-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by RIC

It starts seperating within 15 minutes. If you buy the gallon size be sure to use see through spray bottles so that you do not inadvertently forget to shake it up. I was disappointed that the directions made no mention whatsoever that the product needs to be shaken up.

Were you not using spray bottles, then? You were using it straight out the gallon container?

15 minutes is enough time to go around the car, no?

I found that it can not be used just like a QD. With even the slightest amount of dust or dirt film the product clumps and becomes very difficult to remove.

Yeah, you basically have to treat it as if you have klasse sg in a spray bottle. Sorry to hear it disappointed you. I`m sure there`s enough interest in it where someone will buy your remaining stock off of you at a very fair and reasonable price.

doublel
01-20-2005, 11:39 AM
OCW is a good product in my limited 3-4 week experience. After reading Anthony`s reviews over on a DC thread I put that product on Santa`s Christmas list and I gleefully received it on Christmas morning. Sadly the DC thread was deleted after the owner of OCW posted defending Anthony as an unpaid, unbiased tester of the product, who wasn`t just spreading hype. (I have that post because I saved it before it got deleted, if anybody wants it. The acquistions and bickering concerned me as possibly product hype but I dismissed that after reading the post from the owner of OCW, and my satisfaction with the product).

On Christmas afternoon which was quite cold (if I remember correctly in the low 20`s outside) I went out in my attached unheated garage to give the OCW a quick test on my car. I`d estimate it was in the mid 30`s inside the garage because I was very cold, and the garage door was open a lot moving people and packages in and out all day. I was a little reluctant to try it and ruin my first experience because of the cold but I went ahead anyway. I quickly became extremely pleased with the application in cold weather as streaking was cleared after making 3 or 4 wipes. The product was absorbed without problem. Shine and gloss improved and I immediately was thinking I finally found a quick easy gloss enhancer for a clean car in cold weather.

Subsequently, I have purchased the gallon after using up the 17 oz bottle. So I`ve used it quite often. I`ve used it on a total of four cars all different colors (black, silver, gold, dark green), most frequently on my own Black Metallic Volvo S60. Here`s my mini take on OCW.

1. Easy quick application (I spray/mist then wipe with a plush MF)

2. No worry on spraying or wiping around the trim, I like that as a Volvo owner.

3. Works well in cold weather, better than any QD. I do keep the product inside at room temperature.

4. Very slick, and I concur slickness is enhanced with 2nd and 3rd applications.

5. Nice coconutty smell.

6. Appearance is good but not as bright as a fresh coat of NXT Scottwax.

7. Durability I`m sure it wouldn`t last 5 months per the bottle, but I have a test going on a car I did New Years Day, so we`ll see. There is nothing on that car other than OCW. The idea of a final topper for customer cars after a normal multiple step process seems like a good way to go. I`ll test that when things warm up.

8. For my car where durablilty doesn`t matter it`s my cold weather go to quick and easy shine with slickness enhancer, for that alone it has a place on my products shelf.

imported_RIC
01-20-2005, 12:12 PM
"Were you not using spray bottles, then? You were using it straight out the gallon container?"

I purchased a gallon container which settled in the see thru gallon container. After shaking the gallon I did put it in a solid color plastic spray bottle before using. And when I went to use it a few days later I did not shake it up because I forgot to. I am used to using QDs such as Meguiar`s FD, Z6, and Quickshine and have never needed to shake up any of those.

If you like the stuff...great...after my using it...IMO it seems like it is being overly hyped.

In answer to the the next posted question I don`t plan on using it again. It has been delegated to my myriad of garbage products that I no longer use.

Wasatch
01-20-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by RIC

I purchased a gallon container which settled in the see thru gallon container. After shaking the gallon I did put it in a solid color plastic spray bottle before using. And when I went to use it a few days later I did not shake it up because I forgot to. I am used to using QDs such as Meguiar`s FD, Z6, and Quickshine and have never needed to shake up any of those.

To give the product a fair shake, I hope you gave it another try after learning how to use it properly. Did You? If so, what were your results/opinion?