PDA

View Full Version : updating my wheel cleaning technique

SVR
01-18-2005, 06:28 AM
My car`s wheels and customer`s ones are coated with at least one of the following sealants

PB EXP

Wolfgang DGPS

Klasse AIO & SG

Omikron Bodyseal (polymer)

Four Star UPP

GPI dura glaze (white colored polymer)

I use Detailers Pride Gel wheel cleaner and love it but will be getting other gel type cleaners from autogeek and I am curious to know if DP is ok to use on wheels coated with the above sealants

Also I have thoroughly read david`s article on tire and wheel cleaning and believe that my wheel cleaning process needs updating

I hope to get the oxo range of brushes from the autopia shop (cheaper than getting from OZ supplier) but unsure of the procedure to use them

Normally prior to coating the wheels, I spray with DP after a low pressure rinse, let it sit for a minute and rinse off with the high pressure gun (3-4 feet away from surface)

After that however I have been using DP, 3M & QEW, Pacer Nitro, Omikron Super Gloss and also Magnum Top Gear shampoo`s at double strength.

The two bucket method is put into practice and I`ve been sponging the wheels, tires and wheel arches with two sponges.

Now I tryed to change that to an ultra MF wash mitt but the damn thing just doesn`t make the shampoo get really foamy like a sponge does. You soak the mitt in the shampoo and as soon as you start on the wheels, it all goes to sudsless water.

I want to get rid of sponges as I don`t believe they are safe for wheels, especially the but MF makes the job harder.

I can`t use NITRO or other wash & wax shampoo`s as they all strip wax and sealants.

What shampoo`s are great for using on coated wheels?

Sorry bout the long post.

Accumulator
01-18-2005, 11:26 AM
My wheels are protected either KSG/UPP or whatever I`m using on the rest of the vehicle. I don`t use wheel cleaners unless I`m gonna redo them as all such products I`ve tried strip the protection.

I just use the same Griot`s Car Wash that I use on the rest of the vehicle, but I mix it up a little strong in a spray bottle. Rinse them off with the hose, spray the Car Wash on, let it dwell for a minute or two, then work with the BHBs. I`ll also spot-clay as needed

I use Griot`s BHBs to clean the fronts of my wheels and whatever fits between/behind the spokes to clean the backs/insides.

MF seems to trap too much abrasive dirt for wheel/wheelwell duty. Same with sheepskin and cotton. One of the best things about the BHBs is that they rinse clean. But I *will* sometimes use the MF/sheepskin/cotton on the backs/insides; again, for those areas it`s all a matter of what I can use without having to dismount the wheels.

SVR
01-19-2005, 07:08 AM
Guess I`ll stick with hosing down first, then using my best shampoo and the oxo brushes and maybe a quality sponge

Cheers for the reply.