PDA

View Full Version : Show car maintenance

ohhawk
01-17-2005, 05:56 PM
Have a collectible car that we completed restoration on in 1/03. Received a base coat / clear coat paint. This car gets driven on a few Sundays during nicer months and only nicer days. Will take to a car show on occasion. The rest of the time the car is in storage under cover. I have never washed the car .....only California car duster and a wet towel or once in awhile the Mequiar detailer spray. I have waxed the car once with Pinnacle`s Sovereign Carnuba wax several months after the restoration.

I haven`t really noticed any deterioration to the finish and shine but have read that wax only lasts so long. A fellow enthusiast suggested applying Pinnacle`s Cleansing Lotion followed by Mequiar`s #7 or #9 and then another coating of Pinnacle`s Sovereign wax to rejuvenate the finish again. The worst this car will see is sitting in the sun for a day at a time at a car show.

I would welcome any thoughts. Is the suggested process OK?....any different products I should consider?......do I even need the cleansing lotion as #7 or #9 Meguiars would remove the wax and fill in any swirls anyway?

Thanks.

Accumulator
01-17-2005, 07:15 PM
ohhawk- Welcome to Autopia!

In your situation I would still use the Pinnacle cleansing lotion. It will thoroughly clean the finish and remove any of the old wax. It`s a mild, safe product that works well. I don`t see any downside. Pinnacle PCL followed by Souveran looks great.

I don`t know if #7 will really add anything to your b/c paint and I`ve never found it do do any cleaning either, but the #9 would take care of any fine marring (even most undriven showcars pick up a little of this). But note that the Pinnacle has some very fine abrasives in it too (finer than the #9 but it`s not nonabrasive like the #7). I`d try the Pinnacle PCL and only use #9 on areas that need it (marring the PCL doesn`t get out). Then use the PCL on those areas so everything looks uniform.

IMO no product really "fills" any marring to an acceptable extent. Products like #7 that claim to fill are used by a lot of show participants, but the cars still look all scratched up to me. Guess it might depend on how particular you are.

Some would say to just use a glaze (like the #7) on it with no wax, but IMO the added protection of a wax is a good idea.

Oh, and if it were mine I`d wash it rather than using the CCD/QD/etc. Less chance of marring the finish and I`ve yet to do any harm to a car by washing it (including older Jags that rust if you look at them misty-eyed ;) ).

the other pc
01-17-2005, 07:45 PM
Hi ohhawk, Welcome to Autopia.

Most degradation of wax comes from environmental exposure. You`ll find that the discussions about how long products last revolve around cars that are driven a lot, many of them parked outdoors constantly. A car that stays indoors can have a wax lob last for a very long time. (possibly years?)

There are many fine products from a number of manufacturers. Read around the threads here and you`ll find lots of great suggestions.

How much care it needs depends on what kind of weather, sun, fallout, road grit/grime, etc it sees on those days it does come out to play.

I think it`s a good idea to wash it occasionally. It doesn`t take long for crud to attach itself, even on a short drive. Putting a cover over a dirty car just rubs the dirt into the finish.

The car duster only removes particles that are resting on the surface. It won`t remove anything that`s sticking to the surface. Detailing sprays and/or washing will remove quite a bit more and bring out the gloss. Clay bars and paint cleaners are used to remove more stubborn gunk. You`ll need to evaluate your paint to decide if it needs more.

PC.

andriver
01-17-2005, 07:48 PM
More details on your car. Make? Model? Year? Pics would be nice.

BTW, welcome to Autopia.

ohhawk
01-17-2005, 08:20 PM
It is a documented original (restored) 1970 Chevelle SS Convertible. It has the rare LS5 engine option.....454 c.i / 360 h.p.

You can find some pictures at :

http://community.webshots.com/user/ohhawk

Look under "A Rare Chevelle" tab.

ntwrkguy1
01-17-2005, 08:34 PM
ohhawk,

Welcome to Autopia! You`ve had a 396 AND a 454 Chevelle?? C`mon! Give the rest of us a chance! Seriously though, those were some very sweet pics of some very collectible Chevelles!

-DavidM

Scottwax
01-17-2005, 11:45 PM
You want something real easy that looks great? Clearkote`s Vanilla Moose and Quikshine QD. Use VM before you take it to a show, and Quikshine when you get there.

I`d also get some Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze for a once a year deep polish.

BTW, I raced a 1970 LS-5 454 Chevelle (he had 3.70s) with my 1971 Chevelle with a built .030 over 350 (I had 4.11s and a 4000 stall converter). Needless to say, the small block walked all over the big block this time. ;)

Sorry, just couldn`t resist. At least you still have your Chevelle, I sold mine years ago and have been kicking myself ever since....just like when I had the chance to buy a numbers matching 1970 LS-6 Chevelle in 1981 for $4100!

audipower
01-18-2005, 12:58 AM
I detail cars like yours all the time. I have 12 classics that I take care of on a bi weekly basis. I`m doing a Steudebaker this week, yes the whole week.

Washing your car is the most important thing. Even if it`s just sitting in storage or a garage covered. Just washing correctly is the thing. I highly suggest two buckets. One with soap and other to rinse. Have two chenille mitts or Microfiber mitts. I really like Sonus Car Shampoo. It makes the car look like it`s just been waxed and it stays that way. It`s not all sudsy, but it cleans like nothing else. I like P21S shampoo also. Those things will help against swirls on your paint. Oh, get a good drying chamois or lambs leather.

All my classic cars I detail. I use Klasse All in One and Sealent Glaze. It`s the most important products you can use to protect, clean and beatify your paint. Klasse AIO cleans, lightly polishes, and protects paint by removing all types of contamints (brake dust, acid rain, salt), so your paint will keep it`s shine. It also helps sealents and waxes "stick" better to the car. Klasse SG aka Sealent Glaze is a protectant and gives great shine. The difference between SG and Waxes is SG bonds to your paint. Giving you great paint protection. Last 6 times longer than waxes. Waxes literally sit on your paint. SG gives great shine also especially to darker colors, mutli colors or metallics.

Soveriegn wax is great, but I like P21S a little better. It seems to last a little longer.

If you want a quick detailer get Sonus Acrylic Glanz. Gives that just Klasse look and is ok to use if your cars dusty. My classic car guys get it so when they drive to shows they can wipe it down with this, or a california duster.

If you want a full protection, clean, shine detail I suggest these products.

Sonus Clay, Sonus Paint Cleaner, Sonus SFX-3 Polish(I only polish if needed), Klasse All In One, Klasse Sealent Glaze and P21S Carnuba Wax.

To keep up shine: Sonus Acrylic GlanZ, Sonus Shampoo and 303 Protectant.

OR, You can just Klasse AIO, Klasse SG and P21S if you don`t have your car out much, but the above suggested products I suggest at least doing the first time. You only have to do it every 6 months. That`s why I love Klasse because of it`s longevity of protection and shine, 6 mnths. I suggest applying SG and leaving it on for 24 hrs and then buff off or by hand. It will allow it to cure (dry) completely so you get better bond to paint and better coating. Then always wait 24 hrs before you wax. I suggest 2 coats for optium shine at least.

PM me if you want detail directions.

NXT is ok. I don`t like it because it has cleaners in it, so if you want to add another coat you can but all you do is strip the coat before, because of the cleaners. It also damages sealents because of the cleaners. Not worth it.

I`m doing a Steudebaker; `67, `69, `70,`71 Camaros; `67, `68 Chevelle; `55 Chevy; MG; `70 Jaguar; `64 & `74 Corvette; `68 Mustang; and many chopper and motorcycles.

ohhawk
01-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Thanks to each for your input.

Clean, glaze, protect.........I`m comfortable that I`ve got a couple good products chosen for the first step and the last but still pondering the glaze product in between. Seems like this step is necessary for optimum shine but perhaps not if I have no scratches or noticeable swirls.......thoughts?

I`m familar with Mequiar`s #7 based on some other collectible cars I`ve had but some on these boards say it is too oily and hard to remove. Would #9 be a better choice? Is it less abrasive?

Other glaze recommendations for this situation? Then again as has been suggested in one post maybe I don`t need a glaze at all.

Sorry to carry this on but this stuff gets confusing at times and I welcome the experience of others in this scenario.

Accumulator
01-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by ohhawk

I`m familar with Mequiar`s #7 based on some other collectible cars I`ve had but some on these boards say it is too oily and hard to remove. Would #9 be a better choice? Is it less abrasive?

No, other way around: #7 is a nonabrasive glaze whereas #9 is a mildly abrasive polish. So #9 is *more* abrasive than #7.

I`d still do the PCL followed by Souveran.

audipower
01-19-2005, 02:27 AM
Use a non abrasive glaze if you have no swirls or just use AIO then top with SG. Get best of both worlds.

dschribs
01-19-2005, 07:29 AM
ohhawk:

Very nice vehicle. I show a `68 Camaro Convertible and have been browsing the boards here looking for procedures with my car in mind for quite some time. Don`t forget, cars like we have are a rare breed. They only get driven when the sun is shining, never see water (I haven`t washed my Camaro in 8 years - haven`t ever seen the need), and basically live a pampered life - away from the dangers of road salts, bird crap, tree sap, UV rays, etc etc. A lot of the recommendations on here are based not only on what looks the best but on what is the most durable as well. Personally, I think that show car owners, and I mean cars that are STRICLY used for shows, have an advantage in that we don`t have to concern ourselves with durability because our cars aren`t subject to the rigors of everyday driving. With that in mind, it might lead you down a different path -process wise - than those who have durability concerns.

One of the best, and honestly widely receommended, combos I`ve seen on the board here is Meg`s #80 (will remove all the existing swirls and leave behind oils for a slight filling action) Vanilla Moose (final glaze that will give you a little more pop) and Pinnacle Souvern. Look through Scottwax`s gallery for some vehicles with that combo. As far as I`m concerned - unbeatable. Again, it might not be the best for durability and protection nor last the longest - but because you`re dealing with a show car - those probably aren`t concerns for you.

Just my opinion on things. I know that if you are looking for the best processs/combo for your car - as I am - this is cerainly the place to find it.

ohhawk
01-19-2005, 09:00 PM
Thanks dschribs and others once again. I will immerse myself in the vast amounts of data and opinions on this website and see where it takes me. I will enjoy the hunt along the way I`m sure.