PDA

View Full Version : 4*UPP as gloss enchancer

imported_The Uncle
01-17-2005, 02:40 PM
For the last year or so, my primary detailing routine has been to use AIO and SG every six months, and then to use SONUS to referesh the shine after every wash. That worked well for me.

Recently, however, I started to experiment with 4*UPP as a topper (with AIO * 2, SG * 2 underneath). I love the looks, slickness, and overall outcome. But, the one thing that really struck me was ease of use. UPP spreads very easily, and comes off the car with little to no effort. It does not take much more effort to apply a coat of UPP than to go over the car with a detailing spray.

So, I`ve thought about just giving the car a new coat of UPP after every other wash. The product spreads so thin, that one bottle would do my car for a year so this is not a very costly approach either.

Thoughts?

TW85 HHI
01-17-2005, 03:22 PM
My opinion is that there is no need to reapply UPP...it actually ends up being a waste as only so much product will actually adhere or float on the paint. 4* Ultimate Gloss Enhancer would be my choice because it restores the slickness of UPP

a.k.a. Patrick
01-17-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by TW85 HHI

My opinion is that there is no need to reapply UPP...it actually ends up being a waste as only so much product will actually adhere or float on the paint. 4* Ultimate Gloss Enhancer would be my choice because it restores the slickness of UPP

Or Fourstar Spray Wax.....

gearhead
01-17-2005, 03:51 PM
Wondering why you chose to layer SG under the UPP. I`ve read that many here really like UPP over just AIO and am planning to try that combo on our new MDX as soon as my UPP arrives. Does the SG add anything to the appearance? Just curious as I also have SG but don`t really enjoy applying it--not that bad but I`ve been spoiled by ease of products like AIO and EX :o . How long do you find UPP to last?

imported_The Uncle
01-17-2005, 04:18 PM
I don`t find SG hard to use at all, but I apply it with the WOWO method.

I decided to go with SG first because I do like the way SG looks, and also thought it might improve the durability of the finish.

Accumulator
01-17-2005, 04:18 PM
I add a coat/layer/application of UPP on the S8 every few washes, I just prefer doing that over using the UGE spray all the time. Works fine for me. The maker *claims* it layers, so I don`t see a downside.

And FWIW, I think the UPP looks a *LOT* better than KSG.

imported_Burlyq
01-17-2005, 05:32 PM
I never thought the 4* gloss enhancer restored slickness. It is a good QD and it smells nice, does a nice job getting off light dust or smudge, but it offers no protection IMO.

imported_The Uncle
01-17-2005, 05:42 PM
I`ve only used the 4* GE once or twice. My initial take was very similary to Burlyq`s view.

a.k.a. Patrick
01-17-2005, 06:05 PM
TRY THE FOURSTAR SPRAY WAX................It contains Carnauba which may be objectionable, but if your going to reapply another coat of UPP after several washes, it will remove the light content carnauba anyway....(For those of you above)

TW85 HHI
01-17-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Burlyq

I never thought the 4* gloss enhancer restored slickness. It is a good QD and it smells nice, does a nice job getting off light dust or smudge, but it offers no protection IMO.

Slickness does not equal protection. ;)

imported_The Uncle
01-17-2005, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

TRY THE FOURSTAR SPRAY WAX................It contains Carnauba which may be objectionable, but if your going to reapply another coat of UPP after several washes, it will remove the light content carnauba anyway....(For those of you above)

Intresting.

Do you think that could cause bonding problems for later coats of UPP?

Actually, I think the next layer is going to be Wolfgang.

Accumulator
01-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by TW85 HHI

Slickness does not equal protection. ;)

But it does make for safer washing ;) Not exactly the same thing, but a benefit nonetheless. And if UPP *does* layer then adding more will indeed provide more protection. I dunno if it *really does* layer, but my car sure looks better after several applications than it does after just one.

White95Max
01-17-2005, 07:07 PM
I also prefer to just use the 4* UGE. I don`t use any Quick Detailers during the time that I`m layering sealants. I`ll put on a layer of UPP, let it cure for a day or two, wash it again, layer UPP again...

Once I have 3 layers on, then I start using the UGE after every couple washes. I`ve found that UPP doesn`t lose its slickness as fast as other LSPs do, so the UGE isn`t necessary to restore slickness until after the 3rd or 4th wash.