PDA

View Full Version : Which recent-model vehicles have SS paint?

White95Max
01-16-2005, 08:16 PM
After seeing Sean`s thread with the 2001 Accord that had SS white paint, I`m curious as to how many recent cars still have SS paint.

If you know of any recent models (let`s say after 1990) with SS paint, please list them.

Why is it that manufacturers continue to use SS paint when BC/CC has become so common? Is there an advantage to SS?

derek37
01-16-2005, 08:32 PM
i was gonna post this exact same question.

So, which cars are painted in only SS ????

Accumulator
01-16-2005, 08:46 PM
I`ll let a real expert chime in with the "which ones", there have been a fair number of them since 1990. IIRC Lexus black is still ss. Pretty *thin* ss, though.

Some of us (mainly us old-timers, I suppose) think SS looks better than b/c, deeper and richer- maybe that`s part of why it`s still used. It`s a *different* look, whether it`s better/worse will be in the eye of the beholder.

stilez
01-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Honda White.

Toyota/Lexus Black

White95Max
01-16-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by GSRstilez

Honda White.

Toyota/Lexus Black

ALL of them?

I was thinking that it was just a particular model.

tkr128
01-16-2005, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Some of us (mainly us old-timers, I suppose) think SS looks better than b/c, deeper and richer- maybe that`s part of why it`s still used. It`s a *different* look, whether it`s better/worse will be in the eye of the beholder.

I believe that`s what Toyota/Lexus has said about using a ss paint. IMO, their black is absolutely beautiful.

jaybs02
01-16-2005, 09:41 PM
I think maybe because the clear will "lock" the appearance of the finish underneath

Where many are concerned on going through the clear,we are only changing the appearance of the shell, but in SS you are actually changing the paint itself.

IMHO SS paint that has been polished correctly gives a brilliant finish.

Just my .02

"J"

6']['9
01-16-2005, 10:23 PM
Well we know it aint GM !

Alfisti
01-16-2005, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by White95Max

Why is it that manufacturers continue to use SS paint when BC/CC has become so common? Is there an advantage to SS?

One definite benefit of SS paint is that swirls and scratches don`t show up as easily. Clear coat elevates the scratch from the base coat, giving it a more prominant visual cue.

Another benefit of *white* SS paint is that the pigment used to make white - titanium oxide - is VERY, VERY hard. That makes it more swirl/scratch resistant than any CC, (and harder to polish :().

imported_wblynch
01-17-2005, 01:11 AM
1997 Mustang - Rio Red is single-stage (and gorgeous)