PDA

View Full Version : 7.5" Advanced pads

Blackmirror
01-14-2005, 11:32 PM
Who`s got them? I read a lot about these pads and they look really good. I like the fact that you can use the outer part of these pads when polishing in tight spaces and contours! Anyone try them? How do you like it?

6']['9
01-14-2005, 11:38 PM
ive got about 4 orange, 6 white, 1 black, 1 red. Theyre great for when your using a rotory. I also use them w/ the PC and they work great as well. What i like about these is the backing is better than on the 6". theyre so sturdy on the back you can wash them in the washer w/out compromising the adhesive on the back. You wont be disappointed theyre great pads.

Blackmirror
01-14-2005, 11:48 PM
where did you purchase yours? I`m thinking of getting mine at Properautocare.com

JasonD
01-15-2005, 12:41 AM
I have a bunch of them, but only use the cutting pads. The yellow pad is the best cutting pad I`ve ever used and it doesn`t *cake* very easily which is a big plus when using thick compounds like 3M RC. Since I bought mine, they have come out with a couple other grades. An orange, green, and blue pad have been added to the group for even more versatility, but as far as polishing and applying waxes and sealants are concerned, I prefer a 6.5" flat pad.

I bought mine from TOL here: http://www.topoftheline.com/7durvelpad.html

General Lee
01-15-2005, 07:52 AM
I have 4 of them. 2 cutting, 2 polishing. I have only tried the polishing as of yet. My first impression-- Not real impressed.

I am using them on the PC, so maybe thats why. I hear they work best on a rotory.

It seems they have to be loaded with product in order to benefit from the outer edge of the pad (to polish with). I think they cause the PC to work a little harder also. I`m still going to give them a shot, just my initial thoughts.

bufferman71
01-15-2005, 09:39 AM
Black,

You could try www.properautocare.com, www.topoftheline.com, www.autogeek.net. Thay should carry the pads youre looking for.

fertzguy
01-15-2005, 11:11 AM
I really like the 6.5 better

AudiOn19s
01-15-2005, 02:24 PM
Everyone`s opinion on this will be different, but I`ve used the flat 6.5` pads and the 7.5` VC pads and I`ll never go back to the flat pads again. The main reason I switched was because of issues with cutting into pads with the backing plate, velcro separating from the pad, ect...which often ment that I was sometimes throwing away pads after 5 uses or less because of wear issues. Since switching to the 7.5` pads I`ve had none of these issues becuase of the design of the pad and I`ve learned how to make them work very effectively for me with a PC.

I purchased mine from TOL becuase a) they don`t charge more for the orange pad like some other companies do, and b) 2 pads for 17.90`s not a bad deal at all.

Blackmirror
01-15-2005, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I`ll look into those sites!

BookemDano
01-17-2005, 06:35 AM
I have 1 yellow, 1 orange, 2 white, 1 black and 2 red from www.properautocare.com. I use them with a PC and really like them.

I dry them by sticking them inside a bucket and turning on the PC. They spin like mad for 30 seconds and lose 90% of the water. I`ve had NO problems drying them this way.

One thing though... The ones at Proper Auto Care are different than other places. They use "Constant Pressure" foam between the thin plastic backing and the pad foam. It`s supposed to be better.

Also, Proper Auto Care are the only ones with a red finishing pad. It`s a bit softer than the black glazing pad. I use one pad to apply Zaino Z2Pro and one to apply Z5. It applies a thin, even layer that drys very quickly.

Good luck on your decision.

Regards,

Dan.

JasonD
01-17-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by AudiOn19s

Everyone`s opinion on this will be different, but I`ve used the flat 6.5` pads and the 7.5` VC pads and I`ll never go back to the flat pads again. The main reason I switched was because of issues with cutting into pads with the backing plate, velcro separating from the pad, ect...which often ment that I was sometimes throwing away pads after 5 uses or less because of wear issues. Since switching to the 7.5` pads I`ve had none of these issues becuase of the design of the pad and I`ve learned how to make them work very effectively for me with a PC.

I used to feel the same way as you until the new 6.5" pad designs came out. I originally had the basic LC DA pads and they fell apart after the first use. After that, I switched to the 7.5" Advanced pads and thought they were the best thing since sliced bread, but always hated the fact that you are only using about 4"-5" of the actual pad on the surface unless you really bear down on it, and that`s a :nono. When the new Sonus pads came out I was first in line to try them out and never looked back. I`ve used each pad over a dozen times and not a single rip, tear, or problem of any kind. Since then, LC has redesigned their DA pads, and there are now some other new brands out that are just as good as the Sonus, like the Propel brand which look identical to the Sonus.

I still like the 7.5" Advanced yellow pad for all cutting duty and will probably use all of them on my rotary, so there is definitely a place for them, just depends on your own personal preferences. :xyxthumbs

AudiOn19s
01-17-2005, 01:35 PM
Jdookie: You make a good point...I should have not lumped all flat pads into a group like that...I was comparing the LC flat pads to the LC VC rounded edge pads. I too have had my eye on the sonus pads and would love to try them...but considering that I do not have a 5` backing plate and I`m more interested in picking up rotary pads at this point I probably won`t have the luxury of using them any time soon. I do agree the design of the Sonus pads on the back of the pad and the fact that they have a flat surface does make them probably the best design out...but not enough to make me take the plunge for that investment at this time.

Andy