PDA

View Full Version : What clay and lube do people use

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_Mik
01-14-2005, 03:16 AM
I have been using the mothers clay bar system, until I recently tried the poorboys clay bar and S&W.

I like the poorboys product, but it is a little expensive.

I`m looking to try claymagic. Which colour should I try? Should I use the claymagic lube or keep using S&W?

Thanks in advance

scottabir
01-14-2005, 03:48 AM
I like claymagic (pepboys -blue)and meguiars claybars.

the blue (claymagic) should be all you need to effectively clay your car.

Honestly I think you are wasting money by using your S&W for lube. You can use any QD or even clay while you are washing your car with soapy water.

imported_Burlyq
01-14-2005, 04:21 AM
Clay magic pack (blue) from autopiacarcare is absolutley tops. It`s funny how all these designer clays are getting expensive but Clay Magic is still 10 bucks with lube. Their lube is great, I buy it by the case, it works with just about any sealant or wax out there. I also use it as a QD and it leaves a great shine, of course no protection. Too bad you didn`t ask a couple weeks ago they had cases of clay lube for 28 bucks or $2 something per bottle. The best part about CM is it`s nice a firm, that`s my preference to the more mushy ones.

White95Max
01-14-2005, 04:50 AM
I use, and have always used, the Mothers clay. I buy the bars from WaxStation.com for 3/$21.00. This is just for the bars...no Showtime QD or anything.

The first time I clayed my car I used the Showtime QD like the directions recommended. After that first time, where I wasted almost a whole bottle of QD, I`ve just filled a spray bottle with soapy water.

I pour a spot of car wash soap (currently NXT) about the size of a quarter on the bottom of the spray bottle, and fill the rest with distilled water.

Lowejackson
01-14-2005, 05:40 AM
I simply use shampoo

l33
01-14-2005, 05:41 AM
I just use plain water, works very well and don`t have to worry about it running out. I`ve found soap and water sometimes breaks up the clay bar and turns it to mush.

RedondoV6
01-14-2005, 06:04 AM
Same here.. Clay Magic (blue) is still my favorite clay although the Sonus Gray clay is worth a try, especially when you factor in the savings from the 15% off "savebig" coupon code.

04MysticCobra
01-14-2005, 06:42 AM
Clay Magic Kits (blue bar) from Autopia car care is my choice of clay. I use water(distilled ) for my lube when I run out of the lube from the Clay magic kit. hope autopia has a sale like last years that was a good one.

Later, 04MysticCobra.

2004 Mystichrome Cobra coupe

2004 Majestic Blue Maxima SE

6cyl's_of_fury
01-14-2005, 06:48 AM
Meguiars overspray clay with a sprayer filled with Perls/water. Havent had any issues with the clay falling apart so far and I have clayed at least 12 cars this way. Simple and effective. :)

l33
01-14-2005, 07:04 AM
why waste the perls? Plain old water works perfect.

6cyl's_of_fury
01-14-2005, 07:24 AM
Because of the water restrictions I face in Australia ( came into effect about 3 weks after I recieved my package ), it is illegal to do a conventional wash, so I have to QEW. But I have a bottle of Perls sitting around, plus the extra lubricity doesn`t hurt ;)

urban1.8t
01-14-2005, 07:34 AM
Wolfgang and Pinnacle have economical clay lubes.

With Clay Magic I use the #49 Body Shine as its the recommended lube, you cant go wrong if you use the lube recommended lube.

Cheer

Dave

JJ_
01-14-2005, 08:12 AM
Megs QD or Just normal NXT shampoo.

audio1der
01-14-2005, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by scottabir

I like claymagic (pepboys -blue)and meguiars claybars.

the blue (claymagic) should be all you need to effectively clay your car.

Honestly I think you are wasting money by using your S&W for lube. You can use any QD or even clay while you are washing your car with soapy water.

I think that is the best trick I`ve learned from this forum;

Wash the car well but don`t rinse, start claying with hose in hand for more lube. Clay until done, then give another quick wash & rinse- voila!

:xyxthumbs

stevet
01-14-2005, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by 6cyl`s_of_fury

, plus the extra lubricity doesn`t hurt ;)

Actually too much lube while claying isn`t good. Too much lube and the clay bar can`t do it`s job. It doesn`t seem to grab the contaminants well. Of coures not enough lube and you will marr the finish.

I use

Mothers- My favorite.

Clay Magic- $9.99 at Autozone

3M -exactly like clay magic