PDA

View Full Version : Best process to clean a black convertible top?

JasonD
01-13-2005, 03:00 PM
My mom just bought a BMW 330cic with a black top, and until now, I`ve never cleaned a convertible. One thing I hate is when conv. tops are cleaned too aggressively and they end up having a *chalky* look to them. This car is brand new and I`d like to keep the top looking as good as possible.

What`s the best process? Any products in particular work better than others? Do you treat a cloth top or just keep it clean?

fertzguy
01-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Buy some Raggtop cleaner and conditioner. Is really hard to beat.

shaw
01-13-2005, 04:18 PM
A new black top is a walk in the park. I think all you need is right here.

http://autopia.org/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=29&c=21

When cleaning, use a brush pliable enough so as not to damage any stitching. Go very easy on the strength of the cleaner. Let it dwell a few minutes to break down dirt if needed. Use a shield as you spray the top with protectant to avoid a mess on the paint and surrounding areas. I use a small piece of cardboard. Wipe any overspray before it dries. If you have time, mask the car off with newspaper. The top probably will require very little cleaning other than washing if the top is maintained. The water will bead and the top will look great. Just like wax, when the beading lessens the protection is degrading.

Buy a kit for the job. That is a fabric top. Both 303 and RaggTopp have the goods. Another vote for RaggTopp.

Just stay on "top" of the regimen.

imported_memnuts
01-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Chech out the www.Haartz.com website. They probably make the top and they have a very good cleaning, protection (water and dirt proofing) and routine care section. :xyxthumbs

Don`t forget to vacuum the canvas top prior to wet cleaning.:cool:

chadder007
01-13-2005, 07:19 PM
To clean it myself sometimes I used a Lint roller ....the one with the tape that you can peel off between washings. :)

Another vote for Raggtop also here. Its great.

Anthony O.
01-13-2005, 08:12 PM
JD,

I wash my fabric tops once for every 3 or 4 regular car washes. The other times I just brush and vacuum the top well.

Bird droppings are cleaned up right away. You won`t need to reseal the top for some time to come unless you start washing with something like DAWN or use a degreaser on the top:shocked

As noted 303 and RaggTop offer some good products.

Anthony

JasonD
01-13-2005, 11:16 PM
Great, thanks for all the input guys. I just ordered a Raggtop kit which comes with a bottle each of the cleaner and sealer.:up

imported_Burlyq
01-14-2005, 12:25 AM
Burlyq say ditto dat Ragtop cleaner and conditioner. I am getting ready to do my pilgrimage. My yearly trip down to Southern California to take care of my best customers down there. Many have them convert`s and I recently started using Raggtop and they are a very good duo. One of my customers actually told me that BMW told her not to protect it but rather just wash it and keep it clean. To that I say hawgwash, but you have to be careful. I don`t want to bash any products today I`m in a good mood, but there`s one very popular ragtop protectant that doesn`t go on thin enough. The cool thing about Ragtop is that you can spray two coats on thinly. This will protect that for at least 6 months. I think especially on black this would be important, so you picked wisely Dookie.