PDA

View Full Version : drilling hole for dent removal?

Espada
01-13-2005, 02:19 PM
I contacted a reputable dent repair service and they said that to repair some dents, they drill a small hole in the "edge" of the door (the part that closes over the doorjamb) so they can get a tool in to pound out the dent from the inside. They then seal the hole with a rubber plug. The plug is not very noticeable and of course it is not visible at all when the door is closed.

I have checked around and apparently this is a common practice when the dent remover cannot access the dent from the window seal or other openings in the edge of the door.

Does anyone have any long-term experience with this process? My concern is that rust can form around the hole. If this work is done, maybe it`s a good idea to remove the rubber plug every few months and wax or otherwise put some sealant around the edge of the hole (?) Or check for rust before it starts? On the other hand the plugs are in very tight and removing/replacing might loosen the plug, make it more likely for water to get in.

zzyyzx
01-13-2005, 02:41 PM
If done properly, there are no problems. The hole is usually about the size of a pen. Check with Rich at www.dentsoutplus.com He works the SoCal area. He`s done a few guys` cars from Autopia (mine included) and he does EXCELLENT work. He removed dents that other large PDR places said were impossible.

splattj
01-13-2005, 02:41 PM
Just put a bead of RTV silicone around the edge of the hole and stick the rubber plug back in. It should seal even better and as long as no rust has started to form it shouldn`t start.

kbshadow
01-13-2005, 04:42 PM
When we first got my wifes PT Cruiser 4 years ago she got a small dent in the door.

They drilled a small hole and pluged it, when they fixed it, the plug looked like it came from the factory.

4 years later no problem.

Bob

Stockton Ca

foxtrapper
01-14-2005, 10:21 AM
You`ve actually seen this on almost every car sold. It`s the dealers emblem mounted in drilled holes on the trunk lid. It almost never causes a problem.

Now let it catch and hold salty water... That`s why mud flaps and fender trim rot things out.