PDA

View Full Version : P21S - should I use anything below it?

Pages : [1] 2

kenl
01-13-2005, 08:08 AM
Hi All,

This is my first post.

I have a new metallic black Golf and currently use P21S which gives a lovely shine.

Should I be applying anything before the P21S especially at this time of year in the Scottish winter where it is wet and often with salt/grit on the roads.

I can manage to re-apply the wax every 4-6 weeks.

We cannot get all brands in the UK but can obtain Meguiars, Autoglym, Poorboy`s.

Thank you for your suggestions

DrSauekraut
01-13-2005, 08:19 AM
P21S recommends GEPC . . . it`s a good paint cleanser with very light polishing abilities. I prefer to use a synthetic sealant for maximum protection, i.e. HGSG or GW. I have yet to try EX-P.

Gonzo
01-13-2005, 08:27 AM
I have used P21S over AIO and SG on my sapphire blue metallic Honda and found it brightens up the SG

http://autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9946&papass=&sort=1

OJ_GTI
01-13-2005, 08:30 AM
Hi kenl,

Welcome to Autopia.

If you`re looking at it from a protection standpoint I`d suggest you add a sealant beneath your P21S wax layer. From what I`ve read Autoglym has a good sealant that you might want to try.

Here in Toronto my number one goal this year was to provide a decent coat of protection through our harsh winter (both elements and salt etc.). This year I used Klasse All-in-One (which is a cleaner, polisher & mild sealant) and Klasse Sealant Glaze (x2) on my 2000 metallic orange Golf GTI. In the spring/summer I plan to use the same combination but add P21S over the top for looks.

I believe if you look around there is a thread here specifically devoted to places where you can buy detailing products in the UK.

Good luck!

kenl
01-13-2005, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the replies so far.

Please go easy on me with the acroynms :o

e.g what are:

GEPC, AIO, SG, HGSG & GW?

OJ_GTI
01-13-2005, 08:40 AM
Borrowing from a post by TOGWT:

Go to `Home` page - Left Hand Corner `Secret Decoder Ring`

Andrew Timmins
01-13-2005, 09:10 AM
Hi kenl,

I`ve found that Autoglym Super Resin Polish or Megs NXT work very well under waxes. Either of these should be easy to find locally.

kenl
01-13-2005, 09:13 AM
I`ve got both Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection & Meguiars Gold Class Wax so could use them.

Don`t think the Megs stuff is that good ir easy to use to would prefer Extra Gloss

Lowejackson
01-13-2005, 09:27 AM
Welcome to Autopia :up

One option could be to use Autoglym Resin and Gloss and then add the P21S

Andrew Timmins
01-13-2005, 09:37 AM
I`ve not used Gold Class so can`t comment on that. Extra Gloss Protection is a sealant and has no cleaning or polishing ability so isn`t really suitable for what you are asking about. If you buy SRP you can then use this to prepare the paint. Then use EGP and put a coat of P21S on top. It would be best to wait a day or so before applying the P21S as the EGP would need time to cure.

cwcad
01-13-2005, 11:13 AM
have used a lot of different products. Menzerna lines, klasse, and meguiars. all have been good products and have no complaints. they all have been easy to apply and take off. logevity has never been a problem because i do it so often. IMHO meguiars is a good product for the price and will do the job. preparation is more important than the product. if you prep properly almost anything will do the job.

imported_liam
01-14-2005, 06:38 PM
i have used SRP and EGP (*2 - spaced a day apart) then topped with a nice natural wax and found the results great. AG make really good products that are easy to find. just make sure EGP is applyed THIN... otherwise can be a mission to take off.

Mr Monk
01-14-2005, 08:19 PM
:welcome to Autopia kenl !

I think you`ll like Poorboys EX-P. Many here have used it on black with great success. I use it on a medium bright metallic blue and love it. Try 2 coats then top with P21S.

If you don`t have to deal with swirls then P21S GEPC is a good cleaner,

Good luck !

imported_NHBFAN
01-15-2005, 10:31 AM
On a newer car I`d use VM before P21s.

fertzguy
01-15-2005, 11:09 AM
GPEC works great. Its basically a glaze which will hide some of the small scratches etc and really improve your gloss prior to P21s. Its a great product