PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Detailers (Keeping Warm In Winter)

Pages : [1] 2

foris2
11-15-2004, 08:35 PM
It`s starting to get a little cool here in Georgia. If any of you mobile detailers would be so kind as and share tips on how you keep warm in the winter months. Last year I only detailed when the temperature was above 35 degrees! There has got to be a way to keep a little warm (heaters, etc.) (make & model of heaters, etc). Thank you in advance for your input.

G35stilez
11-15-2004, 08:50 PM
Work quickly :D

I will only detail above 32* or indoors. I start with interiors and work quickly, but efficiently. With washing/claying, I usually put on thick rubber gloves, and by the rest the blood is pumping nice and quick leaving me pretty toasty :).

Nickc0844
11-15-2004, 09:04 PM
Hey Foris, it certainly did get cold here in North GA!! I detailed a bit today and a few days last week (first I`ve worn jeans during detailing since the early spring). I just picked up a hooded sweatshirt that has my logo embroidered on it along with a couple regular sweatshirts. Underneath I will wear a polo with my logo, and a longsleeve shirt underneath it. I also have a few longsleeves with the logo on there. I would defiinitely suggest to dress in layers.

Also, I enjoy washing the car with warm water....makes things a little less painful....until they get cold again, which is when I put on these thin wool gloves to do my Rotary and PC work with. I take them off before buffing as to not occur any micromarring.

As a fellow Atlantian, good luck this winter :bigups

HondaMan
11-15-2004, 09:07 PM
(1) Raise heat in dad`s heated (but non-insulated) garage to 60-65 degrees.
(2) Detail car
(3) Remember to turn heat off once detailing is done
(4) Blame mom for not turning off heat when dad comes home and finds heat at 65 degrees and outside temperature is 35 degrees. Best to issue alibi via cell phone from far off location. :)

pappy
11-17-2004, 08:57 PM
it certainly did get cold here in North GA!!

what is cold to you? 50?? i just washed my car since i detailed it about 2 weeks ago. i just wore a windbreaker cuz i hate having my sweatshirt wet....makes it even colder...but it was about 40 give or take a degree. but i just steadily moved. but thats the norm here in MN so thats how i will do it untill it drops below 34 or so. then ill just pull her in the garage. when its below zero i turn the heater on to raise the temp to above freezeing

HondaMan
11-17-2004, 10:34 PM
what is cold to you? 50?? i just washed my car since i detailed it about 2 weeks ago. i just wore a windbreaker cuz i hate having my sweatshirt wet....makes it even colder...but it was about 40 give or take a degree. but i just steadily moved. but thats the norm here in MN so thats how i will do it untill it drops below 34 or so. then ill just pull her in the garage. when its below zero i turn the heater on to raise the temp to above freezeing

To me, it`d be in the 40`s -- certainly low 40`s -- because while I might wash the car quickly (assuming I turn the hose on, shut off now for the NYC winter) in 15-20 minutes, I don`t want to spend a few hours detailing in that cold weather.

Bring the car in and do it in 55-60 degree weather. A bit tight in the garage, mediocre lighting, but workable.

OI812
11-17-2004, 11:10 PM
I have to agree with Pappy and HondaMan on this one. I will even go a little cooler on the washing--down to about 35. After that I`m done.

Nick is that a new avatar? Like the look.

HondaMan
11-17-2004, 11:13 PM
I would wash in any temperature above freezing...washing and drying takes 15-30 minutes (you can dry inside the garage)...the question is, do you want to clay/polish/use a PC/seal in that tempeerature for the next 2-4 hours ???

I don`t.

foris2
11-18-2004, 08:02 AM
Thanks guys for your helpful input.

Nick - Your logo is simply awesome.

CharlesW
11-18-2004, 08:29 AM
Don`t forget that the hose bibs can freeze if the hose doesn`t allow them to self-drain. This can result in a frozen and broken hose bib assembly.
Guess how I know. :brick

Charles

Nickc0844
11-18-2004, 10:08 AM
Cold to me is in the lower 50`s for sure. I grew up in L.A. and then moved to GA where I wear shorts probably 8 months out of the year, so I am a wuss to cold weather. I eventually get used to it, but when you go from 84* on Halloween to 58* a few days later, it`s hard to adjust :lmfao

I give you midwest and northern guys a lot of credit :bigups

Yup, new avatar. I`m certainly not the wiz that Fuzz is on Photoshop, that`s for sure! :nono

Holyghostfilled
11-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Cold??:confused: Well live here in AZ and it`s going to be about 75 degrees :bigscream So it`s a safe bet unless I go to Flagstaff that it`s really not a issue for me. Just a bit neepy....

I`m with Nickc0844, I give you North and NE guys and gals credit for keeping to the task in harsh temps.

As far as suggestions...uh make sure to boil your product b4 applying??:rolling

GregCavi
01-08-2005, 12:56 AM
Hello

Keeping warm for me isnt a huge issue. It should be , cuz i live in MN. It has been super cold here lately. Like in the single digits. When i want to detail i sweep all of the salt chunks and water out of the garage. I wash the car in the garage becasue i have floor drains.
I pull the car into the garage and have 5 gallon buckets of water. I use a cup to put the water on the car and then wash and rinse with that water. I have to refill water alot but it beats going to the hack wash.
I have a nipco 22000 btu heater that keeps me pretty warm. I just got anther 14000 btu heater as well. "pappy sometimes uses my garage for detailing which is always fun cuz then i get to help.

Greg

top detailer
01-08-2005, 02:42 AM
I`ve seen guys with ready heaters in the past. i`m in Virginia(Va. Beach) and it gets cold sometimes. I normally would wear some thermal underwear, knitted hat, thick socks and heavy duty sweat shirt. As you are working, your body heat will increase.

zainoshine
01-08-2005, 08:10 PM
I only detail client vehicles if they have heated garages (or warehouses in some cases). Otherwise, my vehicles are done only above freezing, QEW, in the garage. I work quickly had use hot water.