PDA

View Full Version : 3M Detailing Cloths

imported_springerfever
01-12-2005, 02:44 PM
I did a search on these and didn`t get any results. Anybody had any experience with these microfibers ? Seems that a lot of professional auto-paint suppliers, such as AutoColor and Sherwin Williams carry them.

Also they come in a 13" X 12" size and a 16" X 16". Is one size preferred over others for general detailing and polish removal

Thanks !!

Accumulator
01-12-2005, 03:08 PM
While I haven`t actually *used them myself*, I have examined them and they seemed perfectly fine. I`ve seen vehicles they were used on and these cars showed no signs of micromarring or other problems that could be attributed to the 3m MFs.

"Which size?" will be a personal preference. I`d get some of each as there`s usually some benefit to having a larger/smaller towel (one size doesn`t really fit all).

Big Leegr
01-12-2005, 03:09 PM
I got one a few years back, 12x14. It`s a fairly low nap. Mine actually said "made in the USA" on the package, so I can only guess how old that would make it. Edging could scratch a cd, but using it on glass was pretty good!

Again, though, mine`s pretty old, so it`s likely not the same as they sell now.

Body-shops would likely sell it because they also sell the rest of the 3M line, so the distributer would try to "add on" to their sales with accessories.

Size is a matter of preference. Bigger gives you more surface area to use, but is also bulkier to handle.

stevet
01-12-2005, 03:11 PM
I have seen these in auto body supply stores. Very thin and expensive compared to what you can get on line.

Mr Monk
01-12-2005, 05:31 PM
I think this is what you`re referring to....

If so they`re $ 6.40 @ www.carcareonline.com

You can also order through 3M.

imported_fireberd350
01-12-2005, 05:57 PM
I have a half dozen of so of these rags and my first impressions were not good. They are small, thin, and feel rough, with almost no plushness at all.

however I gave them a shot anyways and now they are my go-to rag for buffing polishes and compounds. I ALWAYS use this rag to buff and follow behind it with a plush MF and have had amazing results.

They are very expensive, but worth a look IMO!

imported_springerfever
01-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Dr Groove...

Those are exactly the ones I purchased. I bought a set of six for 27.00 at Sherwin Williams, so they are discounted in bulk. So far I have been happy with them for polish removal/buffing. just wondering what others thought. They also come out of the washer/dryer just like new with a little vinegar added to rinse.

thanks for the replys !!

Mr Monk
01-12-2005, 07:43 PM
Thanks springfever . . . I didn`t know they were available at SW. I think I`ll tgive them a try.