PDA

View Full Version : How often do you wax?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Burlyq
01-12-2005, 12:54 AM
How often do you wax your car, whether it`s applying additional coats of sealant or wax,

White95Max
01-12-2005, 03:08 AM
I wax once a month in winter, and about every 3 weeks in the warmer months.

I wax less often in winter because, for one thing, it`s cold...but also because in the fall I usually apply 3 layers of sealant on the car to prepare for winter. So applying wax really often isn`t really necessary during the winter.

And the first day that it gets to 50*F in the spring, I`m out there redetailing the car.

tailwind
01-12-2005, 04:03 AM
During the summer: Whenever I feel like it.

Winter: Whenever I can.

imported_mirrorfinishman
01-12-2005, 07:02 AM
Before I purchased my first case of Meguiar`s new NXT Tech Wax, I was using #20 Polymer Sealant about once every three months. However, since last spring when I started using NXT I have been taking care of waxing my personal vehicles on a monthly basis.

Andrew Timmins
01-12-2005, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by mirrorfinishman

Before I purchased my first case of Meguiar`s new NXT Tech Wax, I was using #20 Polymer Sealant about once every three months. However, since last spring when I started using NXT I have been taking care of waxing my personal vehicles on a monthly basis.

Is this down to reduced durability of NXT or other reasons?

Lowejackson
01-12-2005, 08:22 AM
If I am using a wax, monthly. If using a sealant, every few months

imported_mirrorfinishman
01-12-2005, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Andrew Timmins

Is this down to reduced durability of NXT or other reasons?

Hey Andrew,

Since 60% of the people who have already responded to this poll also voted that they wax their car once a month; do you really think they wax their car once a month because of the reduced durability of the products they are using too? or is it that you just have a problem with the product that I use?

stevet
01-12-2005, 08:48 AM

Hey Andrew,

Since 60% of the people who have already responded to this poll also voted that they wax their car once a month; do you really think they wax their car once a month because of the reduced durability of the products they are using too? or is it that you just have a problem with the product that I use?

60% of the people who have already responded didn`t say they used to wax every 3 months untill they switched to NXT. You did. So I think Andrew`s question is legit and deserves an answer.

Andrew Timmins
01-12-2005, 09:02 AM

Hey Andrew,

Hi Mirrorfinishman,

I`ve got NXT and #16 on my car at the moment and have had no durability issues with NXT.

Perhaps I should have worded my question a little better, I appologise if you think I was NXT bashing, that is not the case.

As you are now waxing your car three times as often with NXT as #20 I was curious as to the reason behind this. As some users have reported durability concerns when using NXT I wondered if this was the reason for your increased waxing frequency.

I myself am one of the 60% who voted for monthly waxing. It isn`t down to durability of the products I use, more that I think a freshly waxed surface looks better.

:wavey

imported_mirrorfinishman
01-12-2005, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the reply Andrew and it is me who owes you an apology. I guess that I see a lot of product bashing too and figured your question was also aimed at the product. Sorry for the misunderstanding

Anywho, using NXT is just so easy, once my cars are clean I really am able to apply another coat without much effort. So I guess I have just switched over to doing it once a month because I really don`t have to do any surface prep. This same reasoning would probably work with just about any other wax too.

cwcad
01-12-2005, 09:35 AM
i do something to my vehicle everyday. dusting, detail spray, booster wax, or any one of a number of things. i do this because i love to do it.

i put on a coat of wax usually once a week because i think that it looks better. so durability is not even in question. i like to use different products to see if there is a difference. i do not claim to be good but i do claim to enjoy all the time spent doing it.

Andrew Timmins
01-12-2005, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the reply Andrew and it is me who owes you an apology. I guess that I see a lot of product bashing too and figured your question was also aimed at the product. Sorry for the misunderstanding

Anywho, using NXT is just so easy, once my cars are clean I really am able to apply another coat without much effort. So I guess I have just switched over to doing it once a month because I really don`t have to do any surface prep. This same reasoning would probably work with just about any other wax too.

Thank you for your reply mirrorfinishman. I can assure you that I use Autopia as a learning tool, not as a place to bash products and argue with people who know more about detailing than I ever will.

When I first discovered S100, thanks to Autopia, I was so amazed by the ease of application a weekly coating after every wash was becoming the norm. As the weather has cooled off and got damper I`ve waxed less frequently and also experimented with #16 and NXT.

Aurora
01-12-2005, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Andrew Timmins

Thank you for your reply mirrorfinishman. I can assure you that I use Autopia as a learning tool, not as a place to bash products and argue with people who know more about detailing than I ever will.

:up

I just wanted to say-this is why I love this place. Visiting other forums has really showed me how great this place really is. Keep it up guys.

None of this-:argue , just cool, calm discussions.

Scottwax
01-12-2005, 10:14 AM
I wax my own car about every 3-4 weeks now that I have black one. My paint is also very soft and mars easily so I really need to keep on top of it. Besides, my customers expect my car to look as close to perfect as possible and I`d hate to disappoint them!

stevet
01-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

I wax my own car about every 3-4 weeks now that I have black one. My paint is also very soft and mars easily so I really need to keep on top of it. Besides, my customers expect my car to look as close to perfect as possible and I`d hate to disappoint them!

It`s a challenge owning a black daily driver thats for sure.