PDA

View Full Version : newbie question on poorboy`s ex sealant

bullfrog
01-11-2005, 05:36 PM
Actually, I guess this is more about sealants in general. If I use a sealant, is that a replacement for a wax? Is this something that would be good to use on a customer`s car that does not get cleaned too regularly?

Also, how is the Poorboy`s EX sealant (the one with caranuba) on black paint? Would it be an even better idea to throw a couple layers of S100 on top of that if I use it?

03COBRA
01-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Welcome bullfrog,

First off, yes, sealant can be a replacement for wax. However, a lot of people including myself like to top sealants with a good Carnauba wax. EX has carnauba in it which makes it an excellent choice for an LSP. It is a very good sealant for dark colors. If you top EX with S100 you will be very happy. Most sealants also last longer than a carnauba wax, so many people use them, especially the pro`s! Hope this helps, anymore questions?:D

Mr Monk
01-11-2005, 05:48 PM
Hey bullfrog, welcome!

EX is great by itself and tops nicely with many waxes such as S-100. Some sealants like UPP are perfect by themselves but many of us here have this compulsion to add a carnuba wax as a LSP (last step product).

I`m one of those Obsessive Compulsive people so I tend to go overboard when I`m detailing my ride.

As far as EX on black - absoluely! A great choice.

6']['9
01-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Yes, you can use the sealant as the last thing you can also top it off if youd like.

EX is better on black it gives a good deep glow IMHO.

Heres EX on of ProPolish.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/14478picture_002a-med.jpg

bullfrog
01-11-2005, 09:14 PM
Great! This is good to hear since I just ordered some today.

How long should I wait for the EX to cure before topping it with a pure carnauba wax if I choose to do so? 1 hour? 6 hours? 24 hours? longer?

vdog0531
01-11-2005, 09:17 PM
well you pretty much have your answer, but here is a pic of an integra i detailed. i got polished with Menzerna PG, IP, FP then topped with Poorboy`s EX.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/vdog0531/after3.jpg

White95Max
01-11-2005, 09:33 PM
You can use a sealant as the last step product (LSP) if you want. I typically use a sealant by itself on customer cars because I don`t have the time to wait for the sealant to cure before adding a topper. Sometimes the customer actually requests both sealant and a topper, and then I will. Durability is probably decreased a bit since it doesn`t have proper curing time, but the customer requested it and paid for it, so that`s what I will do.

Usually, a sealant will last longer anyway, so the customer prefers that.

gto78
01-11-2005, 11:17 PM
in Florida the weather is pretty hot in the summer, and not only does the paint get real hot, but then we get sudden rain storms which tend to wash away the softened carnauba wax. I only got about 3-4 weeks of beading with any carnauba wax. But with poorboys EX and EX-P it lasts like 3-4 months. It also seems to resist water spots a lot more, so if it gets hit with someones sprinklers in the sunlight I don`t have to pull over and wipe it dry before the sun dries it and ruins it with spots. (this has happened many times and my freshly waxed paint was ruined and needed to be completely polished to get most of the spots out- and many were not removable)

Scottwax
01-12-2005, 12:17 AM
EX w/carnauba is my favorite sealant on black. Very rich look and it has been pretty durable for me.