PDA

View Full Version : Another EX-P Question

Yowza
01-11-2005, 04:27 PM
New member, first post. I`m planning on the following combination VM (maybe), AIO, EX-P, PS. Do I have to let the EX-P cure before I apply the PS or can I just apply it right after I buff off the EX-P?

Setec Astronomy
01-11-2005, 04:30 PM
Arlington, Texas?? You have a famous neighbor that stops in here once in a great while....

Reg_Dunlop
01-11-2005, 04:46 PM
:welcome. I`m pretty new here myself. TONS of good info, as I`m sure you know. To answer your questions....

EX-P is a sealant that requires curing time. You won`t want to apply the PS immediately. Give it a day - or at least half a day.

Also - your steps of VM and AIO are somewhat duplicative. I`d pick one or the other. I`d say that AIO is the superior cleaner. IIRC, VM has some oils in it and thus provides a little bit better look than AIO.

Intercooled
01-11-2005, 06:48 PM
Be Carefull of Polish cleaners with oils. They can prohibit a good bond for the sealant. I`m not sure about EX-P but Zaino wont bond to any fillers or oils. Also I`m not too sure VM has any fillers or oils, I believe it doesn`t. Someone who uses VM with Ex-p will chime in I`m sure.

6']['9
01-11-2005, 07:19 PM
I dont let the EXP cure before topping it and ive never had any problems. From what i remember if your going to top it w/another coat of exp then you have to let it cure but you might want to check w/steve on that. VM does have slight cleaning ability and filling ability since it is a glaze but EXP over VM looks outstanding. Then again EXP over looks good too.

mtodde
01-11-2005, 07:26 PM
VM appears to contain oils...you get some serious separation with the oil looking substance on top...it is a very thin product and mixes easily when shaken.

It is a great base for EX-P...particularly with silver paint. Remember, the better prep job you do the better your end results.

EX-P works best when applied very thin (PC with a finishing pad is great) and I seem to get better results letting it sit/dwell for about 30-60 minutes before removing. If you apply it to thick and/or do not let it sit before removing, it is possible to get some streaking that hudmidity brings out; Steve suggested this and it works for me.

I really think you should wait at least 24 hours between coats. I typically wait one week, but I work during the week so most of my LSP application is on weekends.

Scottwax
01-11-2005, 08:03 PM
I agree with the others. Wait 24 hours before either adding another layer or topping with a carnauba.

Supposed to storm tomorrow so you might just want to wait until Thurdsday, wash your car again and top with PS. Of course, it will be in the 40s most of the day instead of 75 like today!