PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

Pages : [1] 2

Fury
01-10-2005, 07:58 PM
I wanna detail my stealth, red paint and im wondering what to use. I got turtle wax carnuba paste wax, clay bar, meguairs wash, meguairs deep crystal step 2 polish and im thinking of getting some paint cleaner or zymol cleaner wax. I want to buy tech wax as the finishing touch, but dunno what to use before the sealant so someone guide me!

MongooseGA
01-10-2005, 08:33 PM
I reccomend clicking the :Learn: button at the top of your broswer. Also try to down load David`s e-book. Some of the best information you can get :)

Fury
01-10-2005, 08:47 PM
Well can you tell me what i can buy at a pep boys to use for the detailaing? Like NXt, Meguairs, Zymol, etc.

JeffM
01-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Start with your wash mit, what kind do you have?

Fury
01-10-2005, 08:54 PM
I got one of those mits that they sell at discount auto parts, it`s pretty good.

Web Docta
01-10-2005, 10:02 PM
I`m a newbie myself but one thing that I learned so far was to get some micro fiber towels (MF Towels). They work a lot better than your old bathroom towels. :D

White95Max
01-10-2005, 10:20 PM
You definitely need microfiber cloths. You can get them at WalMart but you should invest in some high quality MF products.

You can buy NXT wash soap at a local store. That`s my favorite wash soap.

Fury
01-10-2005, 11:26 PM
What about regarding wax and polish? What out of the one`s that i posted should i use and in what step?

6']['9
01-11-2005, 12:39 AM
Try reading. Not to be mean but almost all your questions will be answered w/ a search. you could search something like

wet/deep/ red/ then spend some time in the click n brag section to see what the results are with the various products out there. make a decision on what your interested in then search the product name from there. im sure you will get tons of info that way. Thats the way i started so from there on i posted things about process if i was stuck on something or if i could use a certain product w/ another product and so on. But i can assure you this once you get to searching you will be doing a lot of reading. Good luck !

Scottwax
01-11-2005, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Fury

What about regarding wax and polish? What out of the one`s that i posted should i use and in what step?

Without seeing your car in person, it is really hard to say exactly what you need.

If you want a few products that should make a noticable improvement, I`d suggest Clay Magic, Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover and either #26 High Tech Yellow or NXT. Both Meguiars and Mothers make pretty good 3 step systems too, but you should start your detailing with washing then Clay Magic.

Fury
01-11-2005, 06:20 AM
Do i have to do #26 or #9 with a PC? or can i do it by hand?

the other pc
01-11-2005, 02:07 PM
#26 and #9 work well by hand.

One caveat, if you`re trying to take out stubborn swirls by hand #9 may be too mild. Depending on the condition of your car you may want to have some ScratchX handy.

PC.

Fury
01-11-2005, 09:41 PM
I got the scratch X but dunno how to use it properly... Does it have to be before the sealant or what? I just tried it on and it didn`t hide squat.

Eliot Ness
01-11-2005, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Fury

I got the scratch X but dunno how to use it properly... Does it have to be before the sealant or what? I just tried it on and it didn`t hide squat.

Here`s an article by Mike Phillips of Meg`s on how to use ScratchX:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1516

And yes, you would use it before a wax or sealant to remove defects.

the other pc
01-12-2005, 02:11 AM
The typical order for using some of the products mentioned by hand might be:

1. wash -

2. clay -

3. surface prep â€â€œ ScratchX for moderate swirls or, #9 combines this step with polishing step if swirling is light.

4. polish - deep crystal step 2 polish or #9

5. protect â€â€œ NXT Tech Wax or #26