PDA

View Full Version : 8inch pads on a 5inch back?

imported_liam
01-10-2005, 05:42 PM
i have a 270W hitachi FSV 13Y random orbital which has a 5inch velcro (hook and loop) backing plate.

i was wondering if i could use the 8inch megs pads with any sucess?

and how do 8 inch pads go doing tighter spaces on the car , eg bumpers?

if 8 inch is no good, how bout recommending some 6 inch pads :bounce (locally available in AUS is better.. but willing to net order)

raymond_ho2002
01-10-2005, 06:20 PM
It seems that the larger the pads, the more the machine will bog down. 6 inch pads are pretty cumbersome are already cumbersome around bumpers and the back of the trunk areas.

imported_civicdacbiet
09-14-2005, 06:41 AM
i wanted to know the same thing.

i am deciding between a Hitachi FSV13Y and a bosch pex400ae both 5". i was thinking of ordering some 6" pads but not sure if they will fit well so that there is enough clearance to stop the backing plate from eating into the foam.

littlejohn
09-14-2005, 04:40 PM
i have a 270W hitachi FSV 13Y random orbital which has a 5inch velcro (hook and loop) backing plate.

i was wondering if i could use the 8inch megs pads with any sucess?

and how do 8 inch pads go doing tighter spaces on the car , eg bumpers?

if 8 inch is no good, how bout recommending some 6 inch pads :bounce (locally available in AUS is better.. but willing to net order)

Dude,

If you haven`t already invested in some pads.. Can I recommend you buy the Edge 2000 pads.. They`re awesome!

if you only want to buy one or two, then go to eclipsedetailing.com.au otherwise you can buy the kit from autogeek.net

I have the Megs pad and yes you can use the 8" pads with a 5" backing, not ideal.. but it will work.

JeffM
09-14-2005, 04:55 PM
Even though you could be using an 8" pad, you will only be getting perhaps a 6" actual buffing.

There just isnt enough support for an 8" pad with a 5" plate.

It will work, but just understand that.

I have "trouble" with a 6 1/2 pad with a 5" plate.

aaron33
09-15-2005, 02:00 AM
Doesn`t the Edge 2000 pad have a different attachment system? Looks like it is only for use with a rotary or PC.

littlejohn
09-15-2005, 04:13 AM
Doesn`t the Edge 2000 pad have a different attachment system? Looks like it is only for use with a rotary or PC.

True... but from the parts breakdown, the backing plate is still interchangable.

All you would need to do is make an adapter. Any machine shop would be able to fab this in a cinch.

I`ve just purchased a Makita BO6040 and this is what I`m doing since Autogeek gave me a 5/8 Edge 2k adapter with my last purchase.

I plan on cutting about 15mm off the adapter then getting a 5/8 bolt to fit and cut that so it protrudes 8ish mm from the adapter. Then I`ll get a machine shop to machine the protruding bit down to fit the BO6040 and will tap it accordingly.

Bit of a PITA.. but anything is possible..

Btw.. I reckon it will cost about $30 to do all this..

aaron33
09-15-2005, 07:03 AM
True... but from the parts breakdown, the backing plate is still interchangable.

All you would need to do is make an adapter. Any machine shop would be able to fab this in a cinch.

I`ve just purchased a Makita BO6040 and this is what I`m doing since Autogeek gave me a 5/8 Edge 2k adapter with my last purchase.

I plan on cutting about 15mm off the adapter then getting a 5/8 bolt to fit and cut that so it protrudes 8ish mm from the adapter. Then I`ll get a machine shop to machine the protruding bit down to fit the BO6040 and will tap it accordingly.

Bit of a PITA.. but anything is possible..

Btw.. I reckon it will cost about $30 to do all this..

Please do post up pics of the modified adapter, that would help us greatly in Australia. All we have locally are the Meg`s, Edge 2000 and Lake & Country all for over AU$40 each!

littlejohn
09-15-2005, 03:28 PM
Please do post up pics of the modified adapter, that would help us greatly in Australia. All we have locally are the Meg`s, Edge 2000 and Lake & Country all for over AU$40 each!

ok..

I`ll try and DIY... I`m goin to Lee Bros in N.Parra to get the bits I need to day.. and hopefully get to a machine shop early enough so that they can do this for me while I wait.

EDIT: here is the link to the DIY I promised

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62309