PDA

View Full Version : Scratches/scuffs on soft rubber exterior trim

digdug
01-10-2005, 11:55 AM
On my Honda s2000 there is a black soft rubber trim that runs along the top of the door sill on either side of the car and butts up against the bottom of the windows. On this soft rubber trim there are scuffs and scratches, that I`m assuming were factory installed by someone at the dealership with a dirty rag. I`d like to find a way to remove them, but have read nothing on here about polishing soft rubber... I don`t know if this is even possible. I have tried using vinylex to mask the scratches, but it doesn`t seem to hide them very well. What would you advise someone to do that accidentally put buffer marks on exterior rubber trim? I`m assuming the answer to that question would involve a similar fix to my issue. Thanks in advance.

imported_mirrorfinishman
01-11-2005, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by digdug

What would you advise someone to do that accidentally put buffer marks on exterior rubber trim? I`m assuming the answer to that question would involve a similar fix to my issue. Thanks in advance.

Other than using a rubber protectant, such as 303 there really is not much you can do in regard to polishing soft rubber. Of course, you could always rub-in the protectant to cause a polishing type of action. That could possibly help.

(Also, what I would advise someone to do that accidentally put buffer marks on exterior rubber trim is to learn a little bit more about how not to damage the trim while buffing.)

digdug
01-11-2005, 09:32 AM
Other than using a rubber protectant, such as 303 there really is not much you can do in regard to polishing soft rubber. Of course, you could always rub-in the protectant to cause a polishing type of action. That could possibly help.

Darn, I was hoping there`d be a proven fix for this. Thanks for the input.

(Also, what I would advise someone to do that accidentally put buffer marks on exterior rubber trim is to learn a little bit more about how not to damage the trim while buffing.)

I figured this much... if you can prevent damage then you never have to worry about repair. And I realized after I made my original post that everyone will probably think I did in fact put buffer marks on the trim, by merely mentioning it. Fortunately the car is still new, and other than applying zaino by hand to it, I haven`t gone near it with the PC yet.

Maybe I`ll try 303 and see if it does a better job of masking the problem.