PDA

View Full Version : Brief Autoglym glass polish questions

imported_fireberd350
01-10-2005, 11:14 AM
After hearing many good things about it I ordered some Autoglym glass polish. I plan to use it mostly to tackle extremely tough waterspots and such and hope it works (because nothing else has:angry )

Anyways, a few questions:

What is the best applicator for this?

What is the best process? (WOWO, let sit for 30 min, etc)

Does it have Rain-X - like benefits (beading, etc)?

Any other tips would be great!

TIA, Steve

Andrew Timmins
01-10-2005, 11:40 AM
A terry or microfibre applicator or cloth works well. A microfibre cloth works well for removal.

The polish dries to a haze much like many paint polishes, sealants or waxes. I tend to apply to all external windows then remove the haze in the same order in which I applied. I would then use the same method for all internal glass. As far as I know there is no advantage to leaving the polish on for 30 minutes. Apply a thin coat, this minimises any dusting.

I`ve not noticed a rain-x effect myself but I do recall other people mentioning it.

The polish can also be used to clean wiper blades, this helps to stop streaking and juddering.

I used Autoglym Glass Polish on TV screens and mirrors around the house as it seems much better than any household glass cleaners.

Hope this helps Steve, if you have any more questions then please ask.

Andrew

:xyxthumbs

gkerr4
01-10-2005, 12:11 PM
It is good stuff the glass polish - I think the best application - process would be to use an MF cloth, use a little and make sure you work it well into the glass. Leave it so sit for a few minutes and it hazes over like a paint polish might. I tend to work round the car leaving the stuff on and then removing in the same order once all windows have been applied.

Removal is best using an MF cloth again.

whilst it does make water bead it doesn`t have the "fly off the windshield" properties that Rain-X does, so whilst I am happy with the beading on the side windows, i still use Rain-X on the front and rear windshield.

perhaps a way of looking at it is that Autoglym Glass Polish is like a polish to thoroughly clean the glass and (help) remove some small defects - then Rain-X is like a sealant that has no cleaning properties (which is true) but adds to the beading finish

- that help??

Graham

imported_fireberd350
01-10-2005, 12:32 PM
great tips guys...thanks!

stilez
01-10-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Andrew Timmins

A terry or microfibre applicator or cloth works well. A microfibre cloth works well for removal.

The polish dries to a haze much like many paint polishes, sealants or waxes. I tend to apply to all external windows then remove the haze in the same order in which I applied. I would then use the same method for all internal glass. As far as I know there is no advantage to leaving the polish on for 30 minutes. Apply a thin coat, this minimises any dusting.

I`ve not noticed a rain-x effect myself but I do recall other people mentioning it.

The polish can also be used to clean wiper blades, this helps to stop streaking and juddering.

I used Autoglym Glass Polish on TV screens and mirrors around the house as it seems much better than any household glass cleaners.

Hope this helps Steve, if you have any more questions then please ask.

Andrew

:xyxthumbs

I agree with everything Andrew said.

Andrew Timmins
01-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by GSRstilez

I agree with everything Andrew said.

Thank you. :o

I`ve learned so much from reading here on Autopia that I feel it is my duty to share any knowledge I have in return. This is what the community is all about.

Andrew

Alfisti
01-10-2005, 10:31 PM
Steve, I found that to remove difficult water stains it requires something very strong/aggressive. To that end, use the most aggressive cotton towel you can find. MF is too soft, IMO. (Pefect for normal cleaning, though).

I`ve used some old cotton bath towels washed without softener, and cut into squares.

Remember, its an abrasive polish, so rub it in..it`s not a wipe on/wipe off product.

If that doesn`t work, soak a towel in a 50/50 water/vinegar solution, wring it, and place it on the problem glass for about 10 minutes. The acetic acid should dissolve the mineral stains. If that doesn`t work try 100% vinegar. Then finish with the AG Glass Polish.

I have a more radical method that I`ve used sucessfully should that not work.

IHTH.

6']['9
01-10-2005, 10:36 PM
i found to remove water spots you if you cant do it by hand try that Glass polishing kit w/ those white disk`s and it works by pc to remove water spots. the glass looks really great when done. I dont really use it unless i have some one who has water spots so bad that i cant remove them w/ something like ssr1 or vm.

scottabir
01-10-2005, 11:41 PM
I do the same thing as 6`][`9

If VM doesnt remove the spots or clean the glass well enough I go to the Autoglym. I use it on a polishing pad around speed 5-6.

It spreads very evenly this way and it seems to "stay wet" long enough to really work it in. I dont usually let it haz or anything just wipe it off after I work it in.