PDA

View Full Version : question about swirls on black

ericsscion
01-09-2005, 10:46 PM
i was detailing my brothers 1990 nissan 240sx today.... it has a bunch of swirls and what looks like old bird crap on the front bumper and hood...i used meguiars #9... meguirs deep crystal step 2 and 3 which are the polish and the wax....and my pc...

some of the swirls are still there and some of the scratches are there too.... my question is did i not use a strong enough swirl remover, or may there be another answer besides the fact that the paint didnt seem like it was taken care of very well in the past

imported_Burlyq
01-09-2005, 11:04 PM
Old bird cra* and old tar can be unremovable, even with sand paper, that`s just the way it is. If you don`t address these early, they can make it to primer or so close you`re scr**ed. Give the most aggressive sonus a try with an orange pad for the rest of those swirls. Or get your hands on a rotary and some menzerna. You can always try one more time what you did, and if it doesn`t get the swirls, you got to go bigger. GL.

LouisanaJeeper
01-09-2005, 11:14 PM
i doubt you removed anything with#9

try DACP

Eliot Ness
01-09-2005, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by LouisanaJeeper

i doubt you removed anything with#9

try DACP

I agree, try this recent thread for info on DACP (#83):

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49110

ericsscion
01-09-2005, 11:27 PM
i`ll try DACP next and see what happens. I already used the orange pad and nothing...i mean the paint looks better but not great. If not i guess i have to go buy a rotary

jimmybuffit
01-09-2005, 11:38 PM
"old tar can be unremovable, even with sand paper,"

Or a mild solvent.

Jim

Crazy Quattro
04-10-2005, 03:24 PM
So is #9 not even worth using? I have a bottle thats 2 years old that i never opened.

I was gonna try it on my brothers black rx300 which has many scratches. Will it do the job for now or should i toss it?