PDA

View Full Version : Which Automaker has the best paint?

Pages : [1] 2

317indy
01-09-2005, 07:29 PM
I was pondering this the other night...

JasonD
01-09-2005, 07:36 PM
I assume we can only choose from your list, so I chose MB. Mercedes and BMW both have very good paint, but I find BMW has more orange peel (especially on the backside of the decklids or trunk) and Mercedes has harder clear which is a + in my book. Then again, I like BMW colors better, but that`s not what you were asking.

317indy
01-09-2005, 07:38 PM
Well the option thinggy said only 8, so I had to say 8...Needless to say those 8 are the largest Automanufactures...

armoredsaint
01-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Ferrari has the best paint job :D

jimmybuffit
01-09-2005, 10:26 PM
Audi/Porsche/VW.

Hands Down.

Jeep is on the bottom of the list.

Jim

Bill D
01-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Do I have this straight?

VW/Audi :Spies-Hecker

Porsche: Glasurit

EBPcivicsi
01-09-2005, 10:39 PM
I think RR paint ownz all. :D Their process is unmatched as far as I know, ZERO OP.

I find that Nissan has very thin paint with a tendency to have more runs, chips etc from the factory, Toyota to have the worst OP, and Honda`s paint is thin with the softest clear. My 94 sherwwod forrest green pearl Accord would mar if I looked at it wrong. My civic is not far behind.

Jimmy Buffit, there is a guy in my neighborhhod that had one of the jeeps with the paint defect(I think they cut out a step in the paint process and it caused chipping). I saw him one day take a pressure washer to it and 1200psi removed every piece of paint from the vehicle. He said he was so tired of the paint peeling that he just wanted to get all over with in one shot. I guess I can`t blame him. The now primer looking jeep is rusting like mad on top after about 6 months of exposure. Horrible situation.

fertzguy
01-09-2005, 10:52 PM
bmw/porsche/audi

imported_Burlyq
01-10-2005, 01:12 AM
I`m not sure of it`s valadity but here`s a thickness charts from a recent post.

German and Japanese cars: 4-5 Mils (1 Mil=1000th of an inch)

With the exception of:

Lexus-White and Tan: 5-7 Mils, Lexus- Black and Silver: 4.5-6 Mils

BMW: Silver: 6-7 Mils

FORD: Approx. 5.5-7 Mils

GM Cars and Trucks: Approx. 4.5-6.0 Mils, Jimmys and Blazers: approx 7 Mils

Chrysler: Approx. 5.5-7 Mils (Note Sebring hoods are fiberglass)

Dodge Cars: Similar to Chrysler

Dodge Trucks and newer Ram Pick-ups: Cab approx. Mils and the boxes approx 9 Mils

Jaguar: approx. 6-7.5 Mils (but they tend to vary)

Jeep Grand Cherokee: These read approx. 6-8 Mils, Wranglers: approx. 4.5-5.5 Mils

I had a Dodge diesel and the clear looked like it was a mile deep.

I also had a Ford Gel coat, and while it`s not as deep as dodge, it`s an extremely forgiving surface.

6cyl's_of_fury
01-10-2005, 02:22 AM
I dont think there are many car makers that consistently get away from the dreaded OP, I have even seen a RR posted here by Scottwax that had OP. Personally I have seen Audis, Mercs, Bimmers, Porsches - all had OP to varying degrees to name some higher end vehicles price-wise.

And best is soooooooo subjective - less or no OP, scratch resistant CC, easily polished CC, soft CC? Members here will have varying opinions based on experience or preferences. If you are looking for a "definitive" answer, I dont think you will find it.

Inzane
01-10-2005, 07:59 PM
How can BMW paint be considered so good? I couldn`t believe how much orange peel I`ve seen on new `05 5-series cars. For that kinda money, shouldn`t they be using a better paint process?

Corey Bit Spank
01-10-2005, 08:27 PM
My choice was for Chrysler on the list, and Jaguar overall :)

hftw Audi 6
01-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Audi isn`t a choice huh?!?! I would say they do i have one and have been around a bunch and have noticed no orange peel on new cars. While some new cars, trucks, and SUV`s of other makes have large amounts of orange peel. but the list i would say GM. Family has had a bunch with minimal orange peel.

Scottwax
01-11-2005, 01:19 AM
Bentley > all else.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/878no_orange_peel.jpg

Normal manufacturers? I had to pick Toyota because of Lexus. Mercedes and BMW have way too much orange peel in most cases.

percynjpn
01-11-2005, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Corey Bit Spank

My choice was for Chrysler on the list, and Jaguar overall :)

In my experience (though not a pro detailer): it`s def. Jaguar!!