PDA

View Full Version : what polish for black 7 series bimmer?

bullfrog
01-09-2005, 01:03 AM
Hey everyone:

Up till now, I`ve just done details on family cars and I like to think I do a pretty good job. I`ve got the PC and I`ve been using Poorboy`s SSR2.5 followed by SSR1. Yesterday, when I was finishing up my own car, a lady in my apartment complex saw my car, started talking to me about it, and offered to pay me to do hers. So in a way, it`s like my first paid detail job. Anyways, she has a black 7 series BMW. I`m going to need some more polish before I do her car, and I`m wondering if I should try something new here. It will be outside, and unless its overcast, there will be sun, which Poorboy`s is good for. I was thinking of going with:

wash with Dawn

clay

SSR2.5

SSR1

NXT wax

S100 twice.

I`ve already got the S100 and I love that and use it all the time, but I wanted to put a layer of NXT on there as well for a little more durability, since I`m not sure of the kind of regular treatment this car gets. Any opinions?

scottabir
01-09-2005, 01:18 AM
I think you should stick to what works for you so far.

I am a follower of leave the dawn in the kitchen, use a car wash soap. previous wax will be removed when you polish the car.

I like the list you have up there and it should look good when your done.

liquidtiger720
01-09-2005, 01:43 AM
I think you should just skip the dawn and use regular car wash soap like scott said. =). That is me though. Other than that, have fun! Be careful on the plastic trim too. Those will turn white EASY if any amount of polish were to get on it. I usually tape it up to make sure i dont get any on it.

- How much are you charging?

bullfrog
01-09-2005, 09:32 AM
Good call on taping off the trim. I`ll have to do that.

I quoted her $150 for the exterior which I thought was a little high since I wasn`t entirely sure I wanted to spend a Saturday of mine doing it, but she readily agreed.

Should I look into applying some kind of sealant by hand in between the polish and wax like EX or EX-P? What is the deal with those?

JeffM
01-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Is her paint in bad shape?

If not, maybe use SSR 2 and a light polishing pad, then go right to your wax or sealent.

imported_Axe
01-09-2005, 09:40 AM
I don`t have too many problems with the black trim on mine, just be careful not to *actually* polish them, and if you do just wipe them down real quick with BMW plastic emulsion - I have found this product to be excellent for keeping the plastic looking new and matte not shiny, and for taking off any accidental polish that may get on there.

liquidtiger720
01-09-2005, 01:11 PM
- And if you do happen to accidently get product on the trim and it stains (it will be white), get some peanut butter spread and spread it over. I havent tried that method, but have heard it works pretty darn good. But of course, use a magic eraser first =)

REX-RACER
01-09-2005, 04:22 PM
Noob question: Is SSR1 just a chemical polish like AIO and therefore has no abrassive like SSR2.5 or SSR3?

Also, I`ve heard black can be the most difficult paint to work w/ especially for noobs because it shows every little fault so much? Are there any special tips for working w/ black that anyone can offer? :confused:

*** Not tryin` to scare you bullfrog, just tryin to learn!***

Bullfrog, good luck w/ this!!! $150 is nice ( tax free ) payday for a Saturday aftenoon gig

imported_Axe
01-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Yes black is a challenge, however black (and red come to that) do give extremely good results in the right hands. You will have to pay attention to detail which of course is what those of us (including you) who like to do this, try and always do. However, to be honest, (having had several coloured cars) I would say it was no more difficult cleaning my current black car, than cleaning my previous silver one. I clean them both to the same standard, so they take the same work.

However, some products it would appear work better on darker cars than others, I have yet to find the holy grail on this, but some people, like silverlexus, gonzo, and several others here seem to have the knack and the correct combination. I guess you might call that experience ? :)