PDA

View Full Version : Scratches aren`t deep but won`t come out...

Pages : [1] 2

thedarksyde
01-08-2005, 05:34 PM
I just used PIIIRC with the PC on these scratches and they won`t come out, they are not deep (you can not feel them at all) but they don`t seem to come up. Any suggestions?

They came up a little but still very visable! These were from a tree that was low hanging and scratched the roof of the civic...

My pics host is down right now, so I can not show you the pics.

Bill D
01-08-2005, 06:02 PM
Yep, that`s the infamous hard Audi clear for ya. That`s why I got the Cyclo. Accumulator is a big fan of PI III and can fill you in on the tricks to using it. You might also want to try Menzerna and 1z. Along with 3m,these 2 are my primarly polishing brands

Eliot Ness
01-08-2005, 06:03 PM
First a few questions:

1. What pad were you using?

2. How large an area were you working at a time and many applications did you make?

3. PC speed?

4. How fast was your arm speed?

5. How long did you work it?

JasonD
01-08-2005, 06:10 PM
A little ScratchX by hand with foam applicator pad would knock it down a bit before your 3M RC. For extra bite, use a mf applicator instead of foam, but only as a last resort.

Bill D
01-08-2005, 06:12 PM
I`m not sure Scratch X on an Audi paint is going to do much. I tried it once a while ago, my paint could`ve literally laughed at it. It might be better suited for mild etching that a QD or wash couldn`t handle. Just my experience

JasonD
01-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Hmm, then I don`t know what else he can do short of getting a rotary. :nixweiss

I suggested ScratchX because I used it on my mother`s black Mercedes which has very hard clear too, and it did an awesome job. Now, with the foam applicator it was fairly mild but with a terry applicator it became extremely aggressive and required 3M RC to buff off the marring left behind. I figured a mf pad would be somewhere between the foam and terry.

Another option would be to just use a little RC on a terry pad. I find everything becomes more aggressive when used by hand and a terry pad.

Eliot Ness
01-08-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

I`m not sure Scratch X on an Audi paint is going to do much......

Didn`t he mention that this was on a Civic?

These were from a tree that was low hanging and scratched the roof of the civic...

Setec Astronomy
01-08-2005, 06:25 PM
I find ScratchX to be pretty mild...even in the MOL primer Mike Phillips did, he said you really need to work it for a while. I think as a consumer product, they didn`t want it to be too aggressive, lest people wind up with a big hazed area around all their scratches.

thedarksyde
01-08-2005, 06:48 PM
This is on a civic not the audi...

I am using a Sonus Orange Pad.

I use speed2.5 to apply it and up it to 5.5 to work it in.

I am working it until it dusts up.

About 1/3 of the roof, around the 2X2 area I should be.

JasonD
01-08-2005, 06:51 PM
All I can say is just keep at it and move extremely slow to allow the polish to do it`s job. The PC isn`t the most aggressive method in the world so it`s going to take time. Stick to speed 5 so you`re not drying the RC too fast, and just let it do its magic.

Ed Hartman
01-08-2005, 07:02 PM
Ive used 3m Perfect it III RC and find its a very good scratch remover in my tests and a very good product overall, but I had to do them by hand, not with PC. Scratches I could not get with Menzerna IP came right out with 3m, allbeit by hand

vdog0531
01-08-2005, 07:18 PM
this is why my PC got put on the back burner for the rotary. i would say jump up and do it the right way with a rotary.

Vernon

Bill D
01-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Yep , sorry about the confusion. FWIW Scratch X didn`t much on my gf`s Accord via foam pad, terry, mf, you name it :nixweiss Didn`t want to get carpal tunnel syndrome from it.

It did seem to do well on the family beater Maxima though.

Accumulator
01-08-2005, 07:33 PM
To get more bite out of PI-III RC try using it with a 4" pad. The PC doesn`t bog down as much with those as it does with the "regular" pads people usually use.

Try a yellow cutting pad instead of the orange one.

Or do the "worst" of it by hand with terry.

Or use 1z Ultra or Hi-Temp Medium Cut.

Or use a Cyclo or a rotary.

Ed Hartman
01-08-2005, 07:44 PM
Accumulator, what part of Ohio do you live in?