PDA

View Full Version : EX-P Observations . . .

DrSauekraut
01-08-2005, 08:53 AM
Being the detailing junkie that I am, I ordered a bottle of Poor Boyâ€â„¢s EX-P for my product collection. As some of you can relate, the enthusiasm for detailing is also shared with the enthusiasm to try new products . . . an assortment of goods can line your shelves from one end of the garage to the other. All in all, I believe this to be a very good sealant. Hereâ€â„¢s why.

The sink test. Not only do I enjoy detailing, but I also enjoy my house. Many of the products I use find their way to other areas, such as the kitchen and bathroom. I have 2 painted sinks (1 in the kitchen and 1 in the master bath) which serve as my durability test beds. These sinks have seen products come and go over the years. Generally, Iâ€â„¢ll prep the surface according to manufacturer recommendation and apply the sealant or wax by hand with a micro fiber. These sinks see daily use . . . hot and cold water, detergents, etc. How this translates to the environmental equivalent Iâ€â„¢m not sure, but itâ€â„¢s amazing to see the durability (or lack of) with some of the products we use. Example â€â€œ while HGSG and 1Z GW beaded and shined after months of repeated hot and cold temperatures and heavy duty detergents like Mr. Clean and Dawn, other products like NXT lasted only several days. So by all accounts, EX-P met my durability criteria lasting 2 months and 3 weeks with almost freshly-applied like beading.

Having become so fond of this product, I decided it was time and used EX-P on several autos â€â€œ 2 light colored metallics and 2 dark. Unlike other sealants, EX-P provided more depth and gloss than my favorites which produce a brilliant shine. I was ecstatic. Though I find that the metallic flakes did not jump from the paint as much as 1Z, there was much more noticeable deepness and luster than the usual synthetics. The 2 dark colored autos had similar results . . . green and black had an almost liquid looking shimmer which rolled from one fender to another. EX-Pâ€â„¢s visual effects seem to closely mimic a pure carnauba. Itâ€â„¢s a very nice product indeed.

I did learn something very important. In my opinion, it should not be used as an LSP. Of the 4 autos I detailed, the old ladyâ€â„¢s car was not treated with anything following the EX-P application. Following a brief stint of rain, she arrived home one evening and parked in front of the garage. Being the nut bag I am, I ran outside with great zeal to view the beading. Note to self . . . do not apply EX-P to glass. EX-P beads like a champ, but does not run or flow off the surface. The entire car was littered in tiny little beads. The bigger beads sitting atop the roof, hood, and trunk would not roll smoothly from the finish. Normally Iâ€â„¢d guess that the finish was dirty, but this garage-kept queen was detailed 2 days prior. I couldnâ€â„¢t believe it. Another problem was that EX-P created a star filter effect on the windshield. Driving at night in the rain is one thing, but when the water doesnâ€â„¢t move from the windows and additionally creates this distraction itâ€â„¢s another problem all together.

Nonetheless, it was a good learning experience. Great product, but needs an LSP. If I have to be picky, I also didnâ€â„¢t like EX-Pâ€â„¢s consistency. Perhaps Iâ€â„¢ve grown too comfortable with the watery synthetics. Another advantage was it didnâ€â„¢t stain the trim. I purposely applied EX-P to a weathered piece of plastic with no noticeable staining. Again, very good sealant . . . protects, provides depth and gloss. Not so good as a stand alone and definitely not good on glass.

PS: Itâ€â„¢s great on chrome and stainless fixtures around the house :xyxthumbs

Intercooled
01-08-2005, 09:55 AM
What would you recommend as a Lsp over EX-P?

Stainless.......Hmmmmmm. ( Tired of the kids finger prints all over the stainless appliances)

DrSauekraut
01-08-2005, 10:24 AM
From experience, I`ve used #16, P21S, and Natty`s with fantastic results. I`m sure there`s many more, though I haven`t had a chance to try them.

EX-P is great on counter/stove tops as well.

stevet
01-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Interesting. I found EX-P to be very poor for beading. It also did not look like a carnauba. This was on silver.

JasonD
01-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by stevet

Interesting. I found EX-P to be very poor for beading. It also did not look like a carnauba. This was on silver.

I don`t know if this makes a difference, but I just did my fiance`s white mustang two weeks ago, to get it ready to sell and did VM + EX-P and it turned out awesome. That car never looked so white, and two weeks later it`s still beading like mad. Her uncle bought it, and took delivery of it yesterday. It rained a couple times during the week and yesterday, but had no impact on the hundreds of tight beads. Like I said, I wonder if VM had something to do with this?

You`re right, it doesn`t look like carnauba but that`s actually why I bought it. I have both EX and EX-P, and only use EX-P when I *don`t* want the gloss of carnauba but rather a more shiny/clear finish.

DrSauekraut
01-08-2005, 02:04 PM
True. It doesnâ€â„¢t look like a carnauba. But it does seem to have more carnauba like qualities than most synthetics. I did a panel on my red 911 . . . one portion GW, one portion EX-P, and one with Souveran. Naturally thereâ€â„¢s a big difference, but the EX-P more closely resembled (optically) the Souveran than the GW. Itâ€â„¢s good stuff and I canâ€â„¢t really complain.

stevet
01-08-2005, 02:19 PM
I don`t think EX-P was intended to be good for beading. I think I remember reading some where that it was made to sheet water. I remember a thread that Scottwax did where he compared EX-P to some other products and posted picks of EX-P sheeting compared to the other products beading.

DrSauekraut
01-08-2005, 03:04 PM
Agreed. Over time, the sink began to sheet more than bead. It`s quite tough :up

JaCkaL829
01-08-2005, 03:50 PM
Out of all the sealants I`ve tried: WG, EX and TC. I always come back to EX-P. I just love the look of it, and FOR ME I get at least 3 months of good beading. I wasn`t to thrilled with the way WG, EX, and TC performed. Especially since they are sealants and I expected better performance. EX-P simply outlasted all of them for me.