PDA

View Full Version : Is this going too far?

Pages : [1] 2

Peter Crowl
01-07-2005, 11:16 PM
I picked up the new license plates for the MINI yesterday.

When I attached the year tag ...despite all effort...it landed a tiny bit off square. Others couldn`t see it...but I could.

So today I went back to Motor Vehicle and bought a new year tag so I could apply it again.

That`s not too extreme is it?

Peter...seeking validation...in Denver

White95Max
01-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Yes. I`m afraid that may be going too far. I`m sorry. :)

Bill D
01-07-2005, 11:29 PM
I would`ve tried removing it via hair dryer first and reapply, but if it wasn`t too much of a hassle, well.. all depends how far you want to go. I`ll keep this thread in mind and be even more careful next time I have to apply registration decals. It is already very close work ;) :up

Peter Crowl
01-07-2005, 11:42 PM
I did lift it and try to re-apply but when I did it stretched and wouldn`t lay correctly.

It wasn`t expensive to get another sticker..just a hassle. But I could not live with that off-square...even just a little bit...sticker.

Peter...thinking maybe medication? ... in Denver

crobinso
01-08-2005, 02:10 AM
Yes Peter, that was extreme. :eek: BTW, were you successful with the second sticker?

imported_Sullybob
01-08-2005, 03:45 AM
I think that that was no more exrteme then claying the license plate and then claying behind the license plate:shocked

Bill D
01-08-2005, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Peter Crowl

I did lift it and try to re-apply but when I did it stretched and wouldn`t lay correctly.

It wasn`t expensive to get another sticker..just a hassle. But I could not live with that off-square...even just a little bit...sticker.

Peter...thinking maybe medication? ... in Denver

Nah, you already tried to lift it and since it didn`t work ,sounded like you had to get another one. He he, you should see me when I have to change my decal, I have the hair dryer ready, several adhesive removers and my Steam Buggy waiting in the wings if necessary :) Just extreme attention to details ;) Now, if you can`t get the thought of removing decals out of your mind, well... J/K :up

Intercooled
01-08-2005, 10:00 AM
When we pick up new Plates here in NH the first sticker is already applied. And man.............they just slap it on wherever it may fall. Mine was alomost at a 45* angle.:angry

Same thing with the inspection stickers on the windshiels, those guys dont care.. It drives me Crazy:bounce

Peter Crowl
01-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by crobinso

Yes Peter, that was extreme. :eek: BTW, were you successful with the second sticker?

Well..lets say the second attempt is satisfactory. It`s very difficult to get the stickers not just straight...They`re now acceptably straight...but also symetrically placed with regard to the letters on the plate and the mounting holes. I really should make up a jig or template that I can put the plate in and then apply the stickers using pre-cut windows as guides.

We don`t have inspection stickers here anymore...but same deal when we did...slap them anywhere. I really wish our governments would adapt a British style tax disc medallion so we could aquire a nice holder and mount it properly. Then the disc can be inserted in the holder every year. Same could work for inspection stickers.

But I guess for most people it just doesn`t matter. Ever follow a car with bumper stickers :rolleyes: that are slapped on crooked :shocked . People who do that are only one or two notches above people who throw cigarette butts out the window.

Peter...who has no problem with smokers...just litterers...in Denver

BookemDano
01-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Nah, that`s not extreme. If you followed the installation by giving the license tag a nice claying, polishing and waxing... Now that would be a bit extreme (and seriously anal retentive)! :D

Regards,

Dan.

p.s. Of course, if you weren`t anal retentive (like the rest of us), you wouldn`t be posting on this forum! :cool:

Bill D
01-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Intercooled

When we pick up new Plates here in NH the first sticker is already applied. And man.............they just slap it on wherever it may fall. Mine was alomost at a 45* angle.:angry

Same thing with the inspection stickers on the windshiels, those guys dont care.. It drives me Crazy:bounce

Luckily when I picked up my plates for the Audi from the dealer, ( they knew very well how I like the appearance of the car and had no problem discusing not prepping it when it came in) I was pleasantly surprised how perfectly they had placed the decals on them :up I remarked about this and expressed my great appreciation. I`m glad they appear to recognize the (very) little things do indeed count. :)

Also, when I got my Caddy insepcted the folks at the station knew already how finicky I am about window stickers. They really had no problem allowing me the extra time to clean up the residue left behind after scraping the old one off. He he, I even passed a long a list of detailing supply websites to one DMV employee :) The day I got the Audi, the salesperson simply handed over the inspection sticker to me and I placed t on the window myself :bounce

Now here in FL I soon will be transfering over to the one plate only in the back :up, and no need for ANY window stickers! :bow I`m going have to pick up a pair of bumperplugs for the Audi and I have a nice 3d emblem plate for the Caddy waiting :D

Accumulator
01-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Yeah, I`ve always been able to apply the windshield stickers myself too (but then I`m really nice towards the inspection people, who have usually been state troopers).

Peter- Doesn`t sound the least bit extreme to me, but then, I`m, well, *me* :o

But am I reading this right- there are people here who don`t clay their plates, seal the backs, etc? I always put on self-adhesive silicon bumpers to hold them away from the paint and seal the backs with at least several coats of SG to keep dirt from clinging/building up back there. Otherwise dirty water will seep out and run down the paint when I blow those areas clean with the compressor. And yeah, you have to pull the plates every few washes to clean behind them properly...

Bill D
01-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Yeah, I`ve always been able to apply the windshield stickers myself too (but then I`m really nice towards the inspection people, who have usually been state troopers).

Comes to show how just being nice can work to your benefit :up

Peter Crowl
01-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Peter- Doesn`t sound the least bit extreme to me, but then, I`m, well, *me* :o

But am I reading this right- there are people here who don`t clay their plates, seal the backs, etc? I always put on self-adhesive silicon bumpers to hold them away from the paint and seal the backs with at least several coats of SG to keep dirt from clinging/building up back there. Otherwise dirty water will seep out and run down the paint when I blow those areas clean with the compressor. And yeah, you have to pull the plates every few washes to clean behind them properly...

I didn`t mention the prep and sealing of the plates `cause I figured that was a given. I remove the plates for cleaning behind every time I remove the wheels...sort of like changing smoke detector batteries when the time changes.

The silicone bumpers...now that`s a very good idea. I`m on my way to get them :up

Peter...learning a new trick every day..in Denver

Bill D
01-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Im thinking of getting this specialtyplate on at least the Caddy. Not only does it match it well, the fees go to a very worthy cause: