PDA

View Full Version : Metal [window] trim question...again

Glutton
11-14-2004, 01:37 PM
Hi,

Here is a post from a BMW site that describes my problem exactly:

"I have an odd milky like discoloration on the stainless steel trim around the windows on my 1997 540iA. Has anyone had this problem? Is there a solution/polish? If so, where can I get it and how much?"

Here`s the reply:

"It`s polished and anodized aluminum. There is no cure. ALL BMW`s have done this since they went to the aluminum trim. Polish won`t help - the anodizing has the harness of sapphire - you`d need a diamond polish to cut through it to the bare aluminum."

Me:

I can`t believe that "there is no cure".

I have a `98 Aspen Silver 528i. Through reading this site, the use of store bought and Poorboy products...and a lot of trial and error, my daily driver turns heads EVERYWHERE I go. Thanks to all!

When all is said and done, on a relatively new car, after a quick wash...it`s really the hour spent on the tire, wheel and trim detailing [dressing] that makes your vehicle stand out.

I have tried all kinds of products to "renew" my silver window trim [whatever it is] to no avail. :wall Oh, It looks clean and pretty but all I end up with is a shiny milky silver look. I know you all must have run into this.,. I can`t imagine that I have to replace all this trim.

When I get done with it, this car looks brand new in and out - except this last pain in the but detail. Thanks to all in advance.

Craig

P.S. I also mentioned in a previous post that I had recently had my newly purchased car "professionally" detailed by a 35 year veteran. Well, I just spent an hour removing with compound and some other products [by hand] what he couldn`t/wouldn`t do. When I get done, it looks like night and day compared to what he did...and I am still "clueless". Point is...I apologize for the long post, but I think my obsession might be leading me to a part-time business! That`s why...l WANT ANSWERS! :ticked

By the way... :dcrules

Poorboy
11-14-2004, 02:12 PM
if they say it`s anodized then it has a coating that will not look pretty when it partially fades...to get all the anodized coating off may require using a high speed buffing tool on a dremil, while it`s still on the car...you need to create heat and friction to work through it to get to the bare aluminum. Understand though, once the coating is gone, there will be high maintenence to keep up the aluminum ...

Glutton
11-14-2004, 04:27 PM
Crap! Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks. I guess everyone just buffs it and leaves it "milky"?

sgo
11-14-2004, 06:16 PM
Why not just take it off, polish it and then have it clearcoated? Problem solved. :shift