PDA

View Full Version : Tire Dressings - Is there such a thing as "neat spray"?

schoi
01-06-2005, 11:47 PM
I`ve been using Meg`s Endurance on a swipe for quite a long time now (and am about to try the Black Magic gel that`s kinda 50/50`d here on Autopia just for change). Of course, I`ve also tried Eagle One`s - and Meg`s "Hot Shine" - aerosol products. The dressing itself is good, sure, but ... the overspray is not. Even pump bottles seem a bit iffy as far as rims and such for me.

What do you guys do to combat this, or do you stick with your safe gel-wipe combination

Bill D
01-06-2005, 11:50 PM
I personally refrain entirely from those products. I`ve used 303 in a pump cooking oil aerosol like bottle you can get from Wal-Mart. Spraying directly to my low profile tires and evening it out with a tire swipe cut in half does a great job but I`ve since switched over to Z16. The 303 in the cooking oil bottle still works great in lots of other areas too.

Setec Astronomy
01-06-2005, 11:55 PM
Bill, are you saying the Z16 is applied in a third way, distinct from the tire swipe or spraying??

Eliot Ness
01-06-2005, 11:56 PM
I apply anything that I use (303, pump sprays, or gels) with an EO tire swipe to avoid any overspray. I then just put the swipe in a ZipLoc bag labeled with what product it was used with until the next application.

Bill D
01-07-2005, 12:02 AM
Setec, nope just apply the Z16 right from the bottle onto the tire swipe, use a minute amount : sometimes I still use a little too much. It amazes me how little of this product makes a difference

JayC
01-07-2005, 12:15 AM
I use a pump spray bottle as well with the Tropi-care tire dressing. The TC tire dressing has a bit of viscosity to it so you can spray the entire tire and work it with a tire swipe without it pooling up or running.

Setec Astronomy
01-07-2005, 12:53 AM
Well, I may have to try Z16 at some point (based on Bill D`s comments above), but now I use Armor All Detailer`s Choice Tire Foam and here is how:

Scrub the tire well with a stiff tire brush, using wheel cleaner runoff or car wash (if the tires are clean, the car wash is fine, if they are dirtier, the wheel cleaner that runs down, or gets "accidentally" sprayed on the tire {I use P21 so it`s safe on the tires} works). Hose off, and let dry (it doesn`t have to be perfectly dry as the tire foam will mix with the water, but I find the drier (and cleaner) the tire is the better). Since there don`t seem to be any solvents in this brand of foam, any overspray (or sling) seems to be safe on paint/wheels, and it dries fairly quickly.

This may not be the most durable dressing, but for me, it lasts about until the car needs to be washed again, it`s fast, easy, safe, and looks good.

The only problem I have with it is the driveway spotting. And I think one of the keys to my success with it is to get the tire scrubbed clean before using.

stevet
01-07-2005, 01:57 AM
I use 303 and an applicator. Just spray a couple shots on to the app and wipe on the tire. Let it soak in and then buff dry.

Accumulator
01-07-2005, 02:13 PM
I too use Z16, applying with a tire swipe/sponge. I then rub off any excess with a (lint free) cloth. No slinging, nice look.

I could *never* avoid getting the dressing on wheels/paint/something when I sprayed it.

shaw
01-07-2005, 04:13 PM
I also use a tire swipe for application with a final cloth wipe down.

I used to take cardboard cut to the rim diameter and hold it in place when I used the aerosol type dressings. It worked very well. Just a quick wipe around the lip of the rim to remove any amount of overspray. Check your favorite online retailers for products specifically designed for such applications. Wheel Shield is one to consider.

Accumulator
01-07-2005, 05:39 PM
When I used a shield I still had to either clean the outer edge of the rim or do the part of the tire closest to the rim by hand anyhow. Seems that most of my tires have a groove next to the bead that takes careful hand application to treat properly.

shaw
01-07-2005, 06:42 PM
Hmmm? It has been so long that I can`t recall if I had to do any more work than the wipe of the rim edge. I do remember spraying the inner tire first to get that area covered initially. The shield will not be the end all solution, but is an option better spraying dressing on the rim. I still prefer the tire swipes.

the other pc
01-08-2005, 04:03 PM
Recently there was a discussion where somebody noted the virtues of using a paintbrush to apply dressing.

PC.