PDA

View Full Version : CD skips. Is there a way to fix it?

Pages : [1] 2

White95Max
01-06-2005, 09:53 PM
I bought a CD off Ebay, and it skips once in a while. Is there a way to fix the CD so it won`t skip?

MaThGr82
01-06-2005, 09:59 PM
AIO.

I don`t know how well it will work but the little insert that comes with it says it will rid cd`s of skips.

If you want to try it, let us know.

If you have a CD burner, you could just try to burn the original CD to your Hard Drive and then try to burn a clean copy and see if the copy will skip. I have had good luck doing it that way.

White95Max
01-06-2005, 10:03 PM
But AIO leaves a layer of protection behind. Wouldn`t that interfere with the playback?

MaThGr82
01-06-2005, 10:14 PM
In theory, no. The laser would read right through the layer because it is supposed to be a clear layer right?

Again, I have never tried this, so I would experiment on a CD you don`t mind losing first. I think that it would work though.

RCBuddha
01-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Clearkote has a "CD Restorer" on their website... http://clearkote.com/products.htm

Eliot Ness
01-06-2005, 10:30 PM
I had that problem with a CD my brother-in-law had- it looked like they used it for a coaster!

The first thing Iâ€â„¢d do is just clean it real good with a MF and a mild cleaner (I use stuff made for CDâ€â„¢s or just a cleaner for eyeglasses), the idea here is to just get the playing surface as clean as possible. If it still skips sometimes a different CD reader will play it. For example when I burn a CD I have the original in the reader and the blank in the burner, but sometimes the burner does a better job at playing w/o skipping than the reader so I try it only in the burner. If that works then burn a good copy, if not burn a copy anyway before the next step.

With the bad CD my brother-in-law had I finally used some mild car polish on it, donâ€â„¢t really remember what it was, maybe 3Mâ€â„¢s MG. Go easy the first time and then see if that corrects it, if not try again. Often if you examine the CD carefully youâ€â„¢ll see the bad spot and can concentrate on that area. I was able to finally restore the CD, made a couple of good copies then retired the original from constant play.

I donâ€â„¢t think AIO would hurt the CD, but you could remove it with a 50/50 mix of iso/water if needed. Bottom line is youâ€â„¢ve got nothing to loose and you might save the CD if successful. Good luck.

White95Max
01-06-2005, 10:37 PM
I do have a bunch of eyeglass cleaner. I`ll try that first since i know it is meant to leave the clearest surface possible. But yeah, I will burn a copy before trying anything else.

Pondscum
01-07-2005, 12:06 AM
This is what I`ve heard, but I`ve never tried it. You can polish a CD or DVD and it will fix bad data and skipping problems. The reason is because the data is burned into the interior of the CD/DVD and not on the exterior. Scratches and contaminates on the exterior will interfere with the CD/DVD because of reflections and refractions of the laser.

BoxsterCharlie
01-07-2005, 12:35 AM
I use Plexus on CD`s and DVD`s all the time. I have no idea why it works so well, but it does. I have to use it on rental movies all the time...it makes sections play right through which are stuck. When my wife starts see "chunks" of video in the movie, we grab a microfiber and Plexus and are back in business shortly.

a.k.a. Patrick
01-07-2005, 01:10 AM
Try your current qd........

White95Max
01-07-2005, 03:19 AM
Charlie - Are you polishing out scratches on the disc, or just removing dirt/film?

If the eyeglass cleaner / QD doesn`t work, can I use Mother`s Plastic Polish (Since it`s similar to Plexus).

jimmybuffit
01-07-2005, 05:07 AM
Ive used the Klasse TWINS with GREAT success on 5 or six CDs.

Jim

kompressornsc
01-07-2005, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Jimmy Buffit

Ive used the Klasse TWINS with GREAT success on 5 or six CDs.

Jim

Now, is this with a rotary or PC? :D

I`ve seen those skip fix machines you can buy @ like Best Buy ($35 or so) but was curious if they worked or if they just spread a product around. I may just try some detailing products & see-I`ve got a bunch of skippers.

BoxsterCharlie
01-07-2005, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by White95Max

Charlie - Are you polishing out scratches on the disc, or just removing dirt/film?

Plexus is like a great wax which fills in swirls...but specifically made for clear plastics instead of paint.

I`d been using it for several years on my rear vinyl window--and I knew it hid scratches. What amazes me is that apparently it helps hide scratches to the laser in a CD or DVD player.

On many movies, they would be unplayable without it. Maybe next time I`ll try my Klasse to see if it works as well. I`d still tend to go with Plexus, though, as it is made specifically for plastic and is super easy to use as a spray.

NXT4now
01-07-2005, 02:32 PM
Raymond posted a thread before on VM and DVD

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44441&highlight=DVD