PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle Swirl Remover vs. PB SSR Line

Pages : [1] 2

02SLVRon22
01-05-2005, 04:55 PM
What order would this list go in terms of abrasiveness?

SSR1

SSR2

SSR2.5

SSR3

Where would the following 2 products go within the above list:

Pinnacle Swirl Remover

Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover

Thanks in advance

JasonD
01-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Strongest to weakest:

SSR 3

SSR 2.5

SSR 2

SSR 1

Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover = SSR 2.5-3

Pinnacle Swirl Remover = SSR 1-2

The SSR`s will be a little more *user friendly* and more versatile than the Pinnacle. If you are trying to choose I would go with the PB`s, personally.

joshcaro
01-05-2005, 05:02 PM
I dont know about Pinnicle Swirl remover, so here is my list without that.

Least to most abrasiveness:

SSR 1

SSR 2

SSR 2.5

Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover

SSR 3

If someone could chime in on the swirl remover.

02SLVRon22
01-05-2005, 05:15 PM
I am working on a 2002 Silver Ford Lightning.

I have both the Pinnacle products, and I am using a PC 7424 with an Orange pad with a speed of 5-5.5 and still have some scratches and spider webs that aren`t being removed with the Advanced, and this is with more than 1 or 2 passes.

These aren`t scratches that your fingernail catches, so I would expect these would come out.

I am trying to determine if I need to order a more abrasive product and possibly use a different pad or a higher speed on the PC.

Thanks in advance,

JasonD
01-05-2005, 05:19 PM
I always like to stay on speed 5 while working abrasive polishes, this gives the polish more time to do its job before drying. Before discussing a product change, how big of an area are you working at a time and how long do you work it before removing the excess?

mtodde
01-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by JDookie

Strongest to weakest:

SSR 3

SSR 2.5

SSR 2

SSR 1

Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover = SSR 2.5-3

Pinnacle Swirl Remover = SSR 1-2

The SSR`s will be a little more *user friendly* and more versatile than the Pinnacle. If you are trying to choose I would go with the PB`s, personally.

You`ve nailed it Jason. Pinnacle Swirl Remover is in between SSR 1 & SSR 2 in abrasiveness and the Advanced is slightly more abrasive than SSR 2.5.

Poorboy`s is more user friendly.

What brand of pads are you using? In many lines of pads the orange pad is the light cutting pad and the yellow pad is the medium cutting pad. You may have more success with a more aggressive pad. I have not tried the Pinnacle products on scratches, just swirls.

joshcaro
01-05-2005, 05:42 PM
Well what you may be doing is inducing them scratches yourself (marring) from possibly using a more abrasive approach.

What you need to do is step is down as far as abrasiveness and go back over it to clean up that marring. What Pinnacle product you using?

ZaneO
01-05-2005, 08:48 PM
I didn`t have very much luck removing swirls with the Pinnacle ASR, either. Two Pinnacle products that I don`t care for.

On the other hand, I`ve had very good luck with the Poorboy`s SSRs.

02SLVRon22
01-05-2005, 09:51 PM
OK, let me see if I can answer all the questions.

I am working on a 2X2 area, using the Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover and running the PC at 5-5.5. I do an area for about 4 minutes. Some of the finer swirl marks are going away, but some of the other spider webs and scratches appear to not have changed. I am using the Orange pad that I got from Autogeek.net, in the Palm Beach Motoring Accessories Pad Kit. Once I am finished, I then step down to the regular Swirl Remover. Once I finish and I am satisfied, I will be applying the Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion, followed by the Pinnacle Signature Series Wax. I have not been as successful removing the areas that I feel should be removed, being as they aren`t deep enought to catch a fingernail.

Thanks again

mtodde
01-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Are you using the same pad for both swirl removers? It is okay to step up in abrasiveness, but when you move to the less abrasive product you need to clean the more aggressive product out of your pad. Diminishing abrasives tend not to break down as well with a wet pad so you would probably want to dry the pad as much as possible. With compounds I prefer to prime the pad with product rather than water or a QD.

4 minutes seems like a long time, but if that`s how long it takes the product to break down then that`s what you need to do...personally I like to work swirl removers & polishes at 5-5.5 too.

You may want to try something else like SSR 2.5 or maybe DACP to see if it works better. You may be able to find DACP locally. There are a lot of Autopians in the VA area...what part of VA are you in? Someone local may be able to give you a sample of SSR 2.5 and/or DACP so you can try them.

02SLVRon22
01-06-2005, 07:29 AM
I am using the White pad for the regular Swirl Remover, and the Orange pad for the Advanced Swirl Remover.

I am in the Fredericksburg area.

Thanks again

jvcn
01-06-2005, 11:21 AM
You might try working a smaller area -- say 1 ft by 1 ft and putting a little bit of pressure on.

I have had good success doing this with 3M PI-III Rubbing Compound and it got out some swirls that DACP had trouble with.

02SLVRon22
01-06-2005, 11:34 AM
I will try that, but being that I went over the area about 4 passes so far, I am not sure if it will make it better.

Who has used the Pinnacle Swirl Remover line and has been satisfied?

Thanks

imported_Aurora40
01-06-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by 02SLVRon22

Who has used the Pinnacle Swirl Remover line and has been satisfied?

I have used them and been satisfied. However, I certainly have marring they can`t remove. The Regal has some scratches that you can`t feel but that DACP and a cutting pad didn`t touch, ASR and a cutting pad via Cyclo didn`t touch, etc. I suspect it`s due in part to it being pretty deep, and in part to my paints seeming to be pretty resistant to polishing.

These are "someone set something on the paint and dragged it off" scratches, not "my mitt didn`t have enough soap on it" scratches. I suspect a rotary or possibly wetsanding would be needed, but I`d rather just leave them there and leave maximum clear on the car since it`s outside a fair bit and also seems to get scratched by other people with some frequency. :)

If you aren`t getting the results you want, though, then you probably need to change your tools, be it pads, machine, or polish.

02SLVRon22
01-07-2005, 08:10 AM
If I was going to try another polish, what product would you choose between SSR2.5 and DACP?

I want to try one more pass with this product to see if it will get these defects out. I don`t intend to use this on the entire vehicle, just the area with the blemishes.

Thanks again