PDA

View Full Version : One more VM question...

T. Perinne
01-05-2005, 01:19 PM
Is VM on a polishing pad enough to remove AIO + UPP x 2? I want to start over with VM + EX + PS and I`m not sure if I can just start with VM right after washing or if I need something more to get all the exisiting AIO and UPP off.

a.k.a. Patrick
01-05-2005, 02:27 PM
Hmmmmm..........I wouldnt think so, add some clay into the formula and you might get by. I`d play it safe and go with a paint cleaner, vm, ex, ps.......

JasonD
01-05-2005, 02:53 PM
Why don`t you do AIO, VM, EX, PS? This should provide and awesome finish. Actually, my usual process is VM, EX, PS and I am going to switch next time to AIO, EX, PS since a few people are saying that this is a better looking combo.

T. Perinne
01-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Lol... Jason - I just got my first ever bottle of VM! I`ve had AIO for a little while, it was the base for my first detail on the Mustang. I`m really wanting to use VM... I guess AIO + VM + EX + PS would work - as long as you justify it that the AIO and VM combo is for removing previous products since most people here would say that one would remove the other and both usually aren`t necessary...

T. Perinne
01-05-2005, 03:05 PM
BTW Jason, what do you use to clean off your VM + EX + PS when you want to start over?

03COBRA
01-05-2005, 03:06 PM
From what I understand, VM will remove prior products!

JasonD
01-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by T. Perinne

BTW Jason, what do you use to clean off your VM + EX + PS when you want to start over?

Nothing, I just start over with VM again. If I am going to start completely over I usually start off by claying and doing some spot polishing and then go forth with my VM or AIO and go from there.

I suggested AIO and VM together because I find AIO to be a better cleaner than VM, to give you a better base and then apply VM on top of that to achieve the *look* you are going for. I honestly don`t think you need to do both but it can`t hurt.

Scottwax
01-05-2005, 05:15 PM
VM and a polishing pad should remove at least the UPP. I`ve done VM + AIO + SG on a silver BMW Z4 and it turned out great.

T. Perinne
01-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Thanks Scott... I actually talked to Everett and he reffered me to you claiming he didn`t know if it would remove a sealant.

Would you do AIO or VM first if using them together in my case?

Scottwax
01-05-2005, 11:54 PM
I go with VM first since it does have light abrasives and AIO is purely a chemical cleaner.

Everett said to talk to me? Interesting. Actually, I probably use VM a lot more than he does.

T. Perinne
01-06-2005, 12:18 AM
He recommended I contact you since he has "never heard of 4* UPP and doesn`t use anything else but his products" so he didn`t know about VM removing layers of other sealants. I`m not meaning that in a bad way, he was very nice and otherwise informative - good talk regarding the CK line.

Scottwax
01-06-2005, 12:29 AM
Everett is a really nice guy. He came up with Carnauba Moose after I met with him at a car show once. He had noticed I was using S100 over VM and asked why. I told him I really liked the wet shine and ease of use. I showed him my jar of S100, he opened it up, looked, felt it, etc then told me to give him 4-6 weeks and he`d have a carnauba version of his wax. Sure enough, about 5 weeks later, I had a sample of CMW to test.