PDA

View Full Version : First time with SSR

rodeo-clown
01-04-2005, 08:52 PM
Well, my order from the states finally came yesterday. Postman delivered to my door a well packed order from PAC. As I had some commitments yesterday, today was the first chance I had to give it a try.

Order contained 2 Meguiars Buffing Pads and a Finishing Pad, Poorboys S&W, SSR1 and SSR2.

I started on the hood with SSR2, and applied it two times. Then I went down to SSR1. I`ll be honest, during the whole process, I wasn`t overly impressed. I could still see some swirling (this is a brand new car). The whole time I had through to myself, it`ll need SSR2.5, which is on its way to me.

I didn`t take a before shot right away, but I did have a shot taken a few weeks ago of the hood.

Nevertheless, I went on with the process and applied AIO then a coat of SG which sat there for 30min before being removed.

From the pics you seel that it wasn`t a too bad transformation, even though it didn`t seem like it during the process. I`ll still hang out for my SSR2.5 to remove some of the swirls I can see, which the camera didn`t pick up very well.

This is a picture of the hood taken a few weeks ago, showing visible marring.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/1967138294655_hoodbeforessr.jpg

After several applications of SSR2, SSR1, AIO and SG

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/1967138294656_hoodafterssraioandsg.jpg

I know it`s hard to see in the pic, but do you guy`s think I should move up to SSR2.5 to get rid of the remaining swrils? Or should I SG x2 and then apply Souveran?

q_tip98444
01-04-2005, 08:55 PM
That looks really good as it is. I wouldn`t really worry about getting every single swirl out on a black daily driver because it will show defects so easily that you would constantly be polishing to keep it looking "perfect". Just my .02

rodeo-clown
01-04-2005, 08:57 PM
Good point qtip.

Is it just me or does the second pic look `less` black? Or is it just the flakes sticking out more? :)

It really needs a few more layers of SG and some Wax I think!

DSVWGLI
01-04-2005, 10:01 PM
I agree, unless you want it next to perfect I would leave it as it looks very nice as is. But to rid your car of those remaining marks you could use SSR 2.5 followed by SSR 1. Try the 2.5 with a polishing pad first then a cutting pad if needed.

MaThGr82
01-05-2005, 02:36 PM
Those pics looks great rodeo-clown. Did you apply the SSR by hand or by PC???

Man, I just cannot wait for my SSR 2.5 and SSR 1 to get here. Fed-ex website says it should be here today. Then this weekend, I will be detailing boy!!!

First up will be my sister-in-laws Silver 2002 Civic. Then my parents white 98 Grand Prix, then my Charcoal Truck, then my wifes Silver Bimmer. Not very exciting colors but a ton of oxidation for my parents and sisters cars and swirl marks to remove and I am pretty confident these peroducts will do the trick

rodeo-clown
01-05-2005, 03:21 PM
MaThGr82, the SSR was applied with a Hitachi Random Orbital Sander.

Goodluck with your detailing. Are you applying with a PC or hand? It`s hard work, but try to enjoy it, it`s well worth it!

MaThGr82
01-05-2005, 04:40 PM
Will be doing everything with a PC. My LSP is #26 though because I have not gotten the chance to order any Nattys to try and I am happy with the #26 so far.

Celly
01-05-2005, 05:09 PM
I`m going to go out on a limb here and say that is a Subaru from looking at the hood.

And if that is a Subaru, then it is Java Black Pearl Paint. Which has so much Pearl in it, it shows EVERY blemish.

I just spent 10 hours working on my JBP. You will not get all the swirls out. But after good polish, and good wax will do a damn good job hiding them!

I jused PB Polish, and followed with PB FX... Looks great.

rodeo-clown
01-05-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Celly

I`m going to go out on a limb here and say that is a Subaru from looking at the hood.

And if that is a Subaru, then it is Java Black Pearl Paint. Which has so much Pearl in it, it shows EVERY blemish.

I just spent 10 hours working on my JBP. You will not get all the swirls out. But after good polish, and good wax will do a damn good job hiding them!

I jused PB Polish, and followed with PB FX... Looks great.

You`re right Celly. It is a Subaru, however it is Obsidan Black. And Subaru paint DOES show every blemish, even all the small factory paint imperfections :(

JohnnyWinter
01-05-2005, 10:14 PM
Whats up ? I find that the PB SSR`s aren`t super strong. You can try the SSR 2.5 or even the SSR 3 if you have if. One quick tip. Try on those tiny areas that the swirls will not come out using you hand not the machine. You can really work the product in by hand in small areas at a time. Sometimes a Random Orbitable just isn`t strong enough for certain spots.

JW

rodeo-clown
01-07-2005, 04:11 AM
Today was time for the roof.

Here`s a pic before SSR

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/1967138371063_roof_beforessr2.jpg

Here`s a pic after 2 applications of SSR2, and before AIO and SG.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/1967138371062_roof_afterssr2.jpg

I feel like a fool now though. I left my Random Orbital on the roof for a second while I stepped away, certain that it wouldn`t go anywhere.

Turns out that the damn thing fell and left 3 small dents on the roof. You can probably see one in the below pic, the other two are too small to get on camera.

I wonder what the paintless dent removal process is like. They`ll have to remove all the roof lining to get to roof dents right?

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/19671img_3760small.jpg