PDA

View Full Version : products to use

enhanced350
01-04-2005, 03:46 PM
im about to do a dark purplr j30t and im planning on using a 5" backing plate with the whole SFX foam pad package with the corresponding products sfx-1 sfx-2 sfx-3 then a good wax on top with this work to remove some swirls im applying them with the PC 7336 thank you!

enhanced350
01-04-2005, 04:02 PM
or should i use the other kit with the orange green and blue pad with some other products i need help i ahve no idea what im doing thank you!!! so many options it gets confusing

JasonD
01-04-2005, 04:36 PM
The SFX system should do just fine, but I don`t think you will need to use SFX1, at least not right away. Start off by trying SFX2 with the green pad on speed 5 over one panel and see how it comes out. If it looks swirl and defect free, go ahead and do the rest of the car. If that didn`t work, try SFX2 with the orange pad and see how that does. If that doesn`t work go back to the green pad and try SFX3, then lastly SFX3 with the orange pad but try to use the *least* abrasive method as possible as to minimize marring that you will have to take out later. Always work your way down the ladder from most aggressive to least aggressive until your last polish is with the green pad and SFX1. Here`s a couple examples:

SFX 2 w/ green pad

SFX 1 w/ green pad

or

SFX 3 w/green pad

SFX 2 w/green pad

SFX 1 w/green pad

or

SFX 3 w/ orange pad

SFX 2 w/ green pad

SFX 1 w/ green pad

You see how this works?

Once the surface it completely prepped and defect free, then you can move on to your LSP. Of course, this entire process is preceded by washing and claying.

Lore
01-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Hi Jason,

I always thought that you should work from the least aggressive up? I don`t know the abrasiveness of all those chemicals you just listed, but I always thought you should try using a polish for the small swirls and see if those come off - and if not, go up a notch?

Please correct me if I`m wrong -- or maybe I`m not seeing the entire picture here! :)

JasonD
01-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Yes, you should always work from the least aggressive up just to find out what polish to use and then work your way back down from the most aggressive to the least. In this case, SFX 3 is the most aggressive and SFX 1 is the least aggressive. SFX 1 has very limited *cutting* ability and won`t do too much on the swirls. It`s mostly for refining the finish after polishing with 2 and 3. Most defects *should* be able to be removed with SFX 2 but the more stubborn areas might require something as strong as 3. This is why I suggested that he start off with 2 on one panel to see where he is, and then go from there. He can go either down or up the aggressiveness scale. This is just until he *learns* his polishes, after which most people usually can look at a surface and know right away what they need to use.

Lore
01-04-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by JDookie

Yes, you should always work from the least aggressive up just to find out what polish to use and then work your way back down from the most aggressive to the least. In this case, SFX 3 is the most aggressive and SFX 1 is the least aggressive. SFX 1 has very limited *cutting* ability and won`t do too much on the swirls. It`s mostly for refining the finish after polishing with 2 and 3. Most defects *should* be able to be removed with SFX 2 but the more stubborn areas might require something as strong as 3. This is why I suggested that he start off with 2 on one panel to see where he is, and then go from there. He can go either down or up the aggressiveness scale. This is just until he *learns* his polishes, after which most people usually can look at a surface and know right away what they need to use.

Perfect answer - thanks. What you were saying is AFTER he figures out what substance to use, go down the aggressiveness scale from that point. Gotcha!

JasonD
01-04-2005, 05:07 PM
:xyxthumbs