PDA

View Full Version : Drying windows

OJ_GTI
01-04-2005, 01:46 PM
What technique do you use for drying windows? After I`ve washed my car, then roll the window down - normally at a drive through - the window then gets soaked again as it picks up the water from the rubber seal.

Do you guys roll the window up and down multiple times to dry them off before polishing?

Lone Gunman
01-04-2005, 06:36 PM
I use one of those Cali. water blades. Quick and easy, not to metion spot free.

I did use it on my paint, but this site made me think of the effects if there happened to be a grain of dust or dirt on the surface. I highly recommend you picking one up, just for the windows though.

Krautfed 03
01-05-2005, 09:55 AM
I have never used a water blade on my paint and prolly never will. I had my roof re-finished a couple of months ago, and the body shop washed and dried my car with a water blade. My hood had several light parallel scratches in a line going from back to front of the hood. I have not ever noticed them before, and can only assume they were caused by the water blade. Maybe it wasn`t clean, but I wont take the chance.

mtodde
01-05-2005, 10:42 AM
I use a water blade on my glass (it never touches my paint though) and then finish drying them with a microfiber towel. I have an old terry cloth towel that I use to dry between the window and the rubber trim. Of course I don`t roll my windows down very often either.

92MX83
01-05-2005, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by OJ_GTI

What technique do you use for drying windows? After I`ve washed my car, then roll the window down - normally at a drive through - the window then gets soaked again as it picks up the water from the rubber seal.

Do you guys roll the window up and down multiple times to dry them off before polishing?

I usually don`t roll down the windows for several hours after washing, just ensure that the seals have all dried. Usually, by the time I`m finished with the detail, they`re fine.

Accumulator
01-05-2005, 11:55 AM
I have this problem on a few of my vehicles that seem to retain more water there than do my other cars. Only thing I`ve found to work is to run the window down and back up, dry it, repeat until it comes back up dry. Big hassle, so I usually just let it go and wipe the glass off if I have to put the window down before everything dries out.

By the time I dry the vehicle normally and blow out residual water with the air compressor, it`s dry enough for any polishing.

Bill D
01-05-2005, 12:00 PM
This problem drives me bonkers, it`s right up there with that extremely annoying line you may get on the windows from not lowering them all the way. :mad:

All I can suggest is perhaps to use a leaf blower or similar device in the seal real good first. Wipe the inside of the seal, vigorously if needed, with a terry cloth, repeat and repeat again.

He he, I`ve been known to just open my door all the way at toll boths to pay because of this water mark issue :o :D. If anything, I`ll usually just fib to the toll taker and say the fuse to my windows is shot ;)

White95Max
01-05-2005, 12:11 PM
I never roll my windows down for the rest of the day after washing my car. By the next day, the seals are dry and won`t streak all over the window.

I use the water blade on my whole car all the time. I always rinse it before and after using it, and I drag it very lightly across the paint.

I`ve never noticed any scratches from it, but my car is white, so the scratches wouldn`t be very noticeable anyway.

imported_hadboosttroy
01-05-2005, 12:31 PM
yeah i do the same, rinsing it off after every panel. it works great!!

SVR
01-06-2005, 04:56 AM
After the nozzle free hose rinse, I dry the glass first with the aquatouch ultra mf glass cloth

I dampen one side with purified water and leave the other dry

Do the windscreen`s first, then I put the side windows down an inch and wipe the top and sides

After top and sides, wind back up and do the outside then inside

Five side to side wipes from top to bottom, then turn over to dry side and finish it off.

Takes me about 2-3 minutes to do glass I & O

On my car I follow with another very thin coat of EX-P

Piece of cake