PDA

View Full Version : Just bought used car- What to do now?

Georgia 4Runner
01-03-2005, 10:41 PM
Hey guys,

I am a detailing novice but want to learn. I have been lurking and will buy the PC that everyone talks about. But I just bought a 1998 4Runner, and here is what i did today

Wash with bucket and cotton mitt with cheap Blue Coral shampoo

Dry with chamois

Clay bar using the Mothers Clay Bar kit and Body Shine

Mothers cleaner wax that came with the clay bar kit

Mothers Step 2 Sealant and Glaze

Now I dont know what to do. The paint looks better now, but I just go get OTC products at the Pep Boys, etc. Another thing that I think I screwed up on is not wiping off the body shine after I used the clay bar. I simply started using the Cleaner Wax over the clay/shine mixture. My cotton applicator immediately showed dirt; I had to use four seperate applicators just for the Cleaner. What did I do wrong and what is a good polish/wax over the sealant? Thanks:nixweiss

ZaneO
01-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Your applicator probably wasn`t showing dirt. It was most likely paint transfer. I believe all paint on 4Runners is single stage, and that is what you saw while using the cleaner wax.

There are products out there that people prefer for one reason or another, but remember, it`s a process, not a product.

jimmybuffit
01-04-2005, 01:36 AM
Welcome to Autopia!

Using a claybar on a 6 year old car (for the 1st time, probably) is going to remove ALOT of surface contaminent. Particulary if it has been in the metro Atlanta area all of its life.

A thorough rinse after the claying (maybe even a mild wash) would have been in order, IMHO.

ZaneO: I kinda doubt that the Anthracite is S/S. I`m guessing it is a `metallic`, which is tough to do S/S, in a production setting. I really dunno.

Now that the car is clean, using a clean applicator, reapply a small amount of M`s Cleaner wax, and rub firmly. Does some color show on your pad? If yes, then you have single stage paint, not clearcloat.

The Mothers products are actually quite nice and effective.

Jim

Georgia 4Runner
01-04-2005, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the replies! I wish I had rinsed the clay residue, but hindsight is 20/20, oh well. The good part is that it looks infinitely better now, and the overspray on the tailgate from a previous accident is now gone.

ZaneO
01-04-2005, 09:35 AM
Opps...didn`t really pay attention to the color...just thinking about working on our 4Runner :)