PDA

View Full Version : Petroleum distillates in VM...

T. Perinne
01-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Lol, the petroleum distillates threads have my head spinning a bit. I follow it all for the most part but I want to simply ask my more specifc question... does the use of petroleum distillates in VM have any adverse affect on my finish or any subsequent topper I apply?

Pondscum
01-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Just because a product says it contains petroleum distillates, doesn`t automatically mean it`s bad. There are a multitude of chemicals that can be extracted from petroleum through distillation and these chemicals can be processed in hundreds, if not thousands, of different ways. Some of these chemicals would be harmful to your finish and some will not. The vast majority of petroleum distillates which are used in automotive wax products will not be harmful to your finish.

As far as how it affects layering, this depends on what products you`re trying to use together. Products that use the same type of solvents tend to mix with each other rather than layer. It`s pretty difficult, if not impossible, to accurately predict how two different products will work with each other. Probably the best way to experiment is to do 1/3rd of a hood with one product, 1/3rd with the other, and then 1/3rd with one layered over the other. You should then be able to tell if the sum of the two parts is superior to either one seperately.

T. Perinne
01-03-2005, 07:51 PM
Thanks! I agree with your evaluation... The first half is why I`m asking point blank about VM. Since PD`s don`t automatically mean the product is bad, they also don`t mean they are automatically good. So I was just feeling out if the PD`s in VM caused any negative effects for anyone.

I plan on either VM + EX + PS or VM + PS... From the multitudes of posts mentioning the success of these two combos, I am assuming their makeups are compatible - just thought I`d hash it out one last time, I`m that paranoid type :)

Eliot Ness
01-03-2005, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by T. Perinne

.....I plan on either VM + EX + PS or VM + PS... From the multitudes of posts mentioning the success of these two combos, I am assuming their makeups are compatible - just thought I`d hash it out one last time, I`m that paranoid type :)

You won`t have any problems with the combo`s you have lined up. Just wait about 24 hours between applications of EX and the same before you top it with PS.

VM is a really nice product and if it caused any problems at all it would have been mentioned at length in these forums. I like it so well that I bought the quart size the last time a vendor had a 20% off sale.

togwt
01-04-2005, 09:46 AM
Quote: Just because a product says it contains petroleum distillates, doesn`t automatically mean it`s bad. There are a multitude of chemicals that can be extracted from petroleum through distillation and these chemicals can be processed in hundreds, if not thousands, of different ways. Some of these chemicals would be harmful to your finish and some will not. The vast majority of petroleum distillates which are used in automotive wax products will not be harmful to your finish. EOQ

:xyxthumbs

JonM

Raven
01-04-2005, 10:28 AM
I have used VM and many cars and have not had a single problem to date. VM (by PC) + EX (by PC) + PS (by hand) is my favorite combo for my black truck. Looks very deep and wet. IMHO you will love the look.

Scottwax
01-04-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Eliot Ness

VM is a really nice product and if it caused any problems at all it would have been mentioned at length in these forums.

You aren`t kidding!

I`ve been using VM since before it was released for sale (I got one of the test samples) and I`ve used it on everything from my own cars to Rolls, Bentley and Lamborghinis. Believe me, if there was a problem, I`d be the first one screaming about it....paying for a repaint on an exotic isn`t cheap!

VM is a terrific glaze, excellent results and extremely easy to use. :xyxthumbs